You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible bug: A. Photo (Windows), text background glitch.

SrPx

TLDR;

Edit : After all the entire thread writing. I suspect that it indeed is an issue that happens in A. Designer, in a Designer file where the issue appears as an unwanted gradient fill in the text boxes (mysteriously inherited from a vector rectangle shape with that exact gradient fill), but that might have turned to solid somehow, to replicate after several iterations as solid fill in Photo's text boxes. I tested now that it brings such gradient fill (or whatever the problematic background fill) issue when sending to Photo.   So, "maybe"  Photo has nothing to do with it (and surely neither linked or embedded files feature, so I modified the title). It started on my Designer, and  keeps being a problem in Photo, that's it. I detailed two fixes (one works the same in both apps), but the safest and fastest has the inconvenience that I don't know which other things are reset with menu option :  Edit/Default settings/revert.

------------------------------

Not sure if it's a bug or sth that could get a  bit better UX, and I notify it just in case it helps the dev team, as I found a workaround. To replicate it (not sure if it will happen with every file, but I cannot provide the files, sadly) :

- Create a file, with a text layer, layer effects (I believe it was color and gradient overlay, external shadow, etc) applied to it. Also with some other pixel layers with live adjustments (hue, levels, etc)

- Create another file with only pixel layers with live filters and live adjustments. (although this one might not be the culprit).

- In a main design (yet another file), place these two files (using the place (linked) feature). 

Initially it seems it worked very well (it's amazingly functional), but after some operations, the text field shows a background color, solid (a "cyan-ish" white), instead of being transparent. It is not the actual "text background" (triple checked), and setting the background (or even the font color) to "none" does nothing.  Actually, it is not the whole text box background, but the background actually used by the text characters (as can be seen in the screenshot).

Once this has happened, you can even delete all layers and leave only the text layers, and yet the glitch will still remain.

I had a lot of work done as to trash the main file, so, I dug all I could for a solution  : No setting in Character or Paragraph panels (studios) can fix it. It is not any of the live adjustments, as I fully removed all of them. (But perhaps they caused it somehow, internally? Or maybe the layer FX)

The one and only solution for me has been to go to (I don't have the UI in English, I guess these are the terms) :

- Menu Edit -> Default Settings -> Revert (great feature addition, btw). It fixes the text box layer I had selected in that moment. So, it might be that something went the way of the Dodo (probably it shouldn't) with text settings due to the layer effects over the text element, or due to the document linked placed, or who knows if maybe even the live filters/adjustment on pixel layers.   

If someone has the issue, this is a way to keep at least working with the file and not having to start from scratch.

It might be just that I am using something wrongly... But then slight suggestion to improve a bit there the UX (for a portion of users that won't guess what's going on :) ), as I am not a complete newbie and yet got a bit lost :D

Other than that, the whole suite is working amazingly for me (indeed, the above is no show stopper due to the trick), thanks again for such great software. Linked files (together with "duplicated linked" and the Assets panel) are excellent for productivity. Thanks a lot. :)

Also, huge apologies if it is something obvious that I am not seeing, somehow.

Attaching below a screenshot of the issue.

text-background-problem.png.0214c5999f5aa3f1bfd62d8d782998e9.png

Edited by SrPx
Adding a TLDR at the top as devs will not have time to read all the thread.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hello @EmT , and thank you very much for helping here.

Yes, that's the first thing I did check initially.  It always had the background checked as "none" (transparent). I am including a screenshot below that keeps the error while eliminating other elements and factors (the live adjustments, pixel layers, etc) ; the issue is somehow only in the text layers, both in text boxes and "artistic text". It is indeed as if it had lost the transparency in some process, but it can't be recovered via UI other than by resetting settings to default for whatever  the text box selected (by going to menu Edit/Default settings/Revert, as I explained). It's no biggie (mostly as might happen only in very specific circumstances), but I am working to discover the trigger, at least to know what to avoid. ;) 

I'm digging more about it and will report any extra clue or advancement on this one.

It does not happen with every placed file (linked). Only in some particular circumstances. One I can think of is that originally that file, since very long time ago, was initially based (like other covers I made) in a PSD file that I downloaded from a printing company (the template they provided as ideal to create book covers to be printed by them. I always do this with any print company). If so could be some issue with PSD importing or compatibility, internally.

image.thumb.png.bb97d87e816de2ff83e9da215c1750bb.png

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Continued : Once the issue happens, it happens then with every new text box or artistic text you shall create, while working with that file.  So, the only chance is to go "resetting" (in the way I explained) every text box to defaults, and then make again all text layer effects and etc (once done with all text elements, it appears it does not replicate again). Indeed, no need to fix all to stop it happening for new ones. Once you fix it for a single text box (or even do the revert default settings with nothing selected!, then it will not fix a particular one, but like when fixing a particular one, next text box will display fine.) , the moment you make this fix once with sth selected or not, it fixes it for any new text box. So... The only tedious work is to re-create every text layer effects (or if it is the same for all, just select a bunch of layers, and apply layer fx from the Effects studio panel, which is way faster; it is how I replace my "copy paste" layers styles that I used to use a lot in Photoshop). As that's all it takes. But besides it takes time, some newer users might get lost about what is happening. This sounds a lot like when something was imported (in any app) from another format, and a feature got wrecked, needing to fix the layers which had that feature.

- Highly important (to know the nature of the beast, maybe) : If trying to apply the layer effects over a not-yet-fixed layer (selecting it + revert settings) it does not consider the shape/silhouette of the letter. It considers the "BOX" as a silhouette. Is like if internally it all had become solid for the app. I am attaching below a screenshot so it is understood easily. Wait a minute... could this be related (somehow) to "import PSD layers as text" (instead of pixels to keep the looks) and it suddenly is giving an issue while it has been working great? I based the file in a psd template from a company like eons ago, and never had an issue, though. Might be something else. :

no-contour.thumb.jpg.26b7680832b11fe94c197a76684225f8.jpg

Another note: This template had be imported initially in Affinity Designer (without issues). Indeed, imported there a PSD template from that company, but also a PDF template, that other one I kept as an embedded file. The problem shows up when importing into Photo from Designer (with "edit in photo", I believe) and started creating new text layers.

Ok. Last note for a while :D

- Placed as linked files might not have relation with the issue. Maybe placed as embedded do (or maybe neither).

- I am more inclined to think is some sort of incompatibility with PSD text layers (very internally) or PDF embedded files (not PDFs from Designer, but other apps). The PDF was imported with editable elements/layers, as well (I suspect more about the PSD template, though).

- It could be sth that went wrong when hitting "edit in photo" from Designer. But I give this option less chances to be it, as it works seamlessly for everything. 

- I have found a very, very quick and comfortable fix, shorter than before. For the very rare case that this occurs to someone (probably more likely if dealing with imported files, but... who knows what is the culprit), I have checked that there is no need to have any text element selected. Just hit Edit (menu) /Default Settings/ REVERT. It fixes it FOREVER in the file (then save it, of course! to keep the change). Even if I go back in history with undo, undoing that what I did... doesn't matter, it's now fixed for ever, any new text box created will be totally fine (as if it had "taught" this file how text boxes must be from there on). If opening an "unfixed" aphoto file, the issue will exist, though, ofc. If you somehow (imo it'd be rare...) got a ton of layers wrecked and did not realize that while working, and can't go back... then yep, -if you actually realize it happened, might not if it's subtle-  will need to select one by one the text layers and hit that Edit/default settings/revert, per each. But you will only need to do such once in the entire life of the file.

It takes like 1.02 seconds (lol) to fix the file's "behavior".   

My only grip with it is... I kind of did not know that feature, and couldn't find info about it on the Affinity online help (might have to finally order those books ;) ; I have this terrible habit of not reading manuals) . So, the problem is I don't know what else does that action do . And I mean 'revert', not 'reset to factory defaults', had not touch the latter yet, due to... pure fear  :)   . Specially as now I have Photo as a perfect work horse for painting and all kind of image editing & raster design, scared to lose that magical balance, lol. But have clicked many times that option, and it seems it has not changed any of my preferences, neither custom brushes or etc. If anyone knows what that menu option does really affect, or better said, which settings are affected by the revert, I'll be grateful for any light about it.

Very super last (today). :D

I was able to find one earlier file  which I was working on for my books covers, always first starting (and ending later) in Designer.  It might be that the problem comes from it, actually ! . 
Is it possible that by accident a text box inherits the "fill" (but not a fill you can change in the UI, is like an internal fill happening in code) of a vector rectangle (to which I had actually added the gradient by hand)?

I had a rectangle with a gradient applied as background fill, reflected (fading to transparent in both sides) background, same color and everything that the one wrongly showing up in every newly created text box .

Somehow... it makes all text layers inherit that fill, even if the background of those text layers is set to transparent in the UI (character panel). So, the user is left with no options there.

So it happens already in Designer, seems it comes from there (I'm hoping it is not a different problem). The only way to solve it (besides my before mentioned fix of menu edit/default settings/revert. Which, BTW, works for both Designer and Photo) is... to click in a certain other rectangle! In 2 or 3 of them (not in others! only some special ones). I'm guessing because those are not part of the same internal "hierarchy/family" (or because they are/were)? And so it takes a "new background filling behavior" for text boxes.

You just select one layer of those "plain" (one solid color, no gradient. but particular one/s among those) , and there you go! Next text boxes will show up without a forced gradient background.  What I don't understand is why it solves it only with certain rectangles. And why just clicking on them.

If you do such (or my Edit menu trick) and import into Photo (all times made with "edit in Photo"), the text boxes will be totally fine. If you don't (with a file having the issue, ofc, which may happen to very few people/situations) all text boxes will have the gradient applied as background, and any layer effect is applied to ALL pixels, not the fonts only. SO, in this case, to the gradient pixels + font pixels., like in my previous tests it was applied to all the solid box of pixels. 

My guess is at some point the gradient became solid somehow (as a whole solid block of pixels) for the other files I mentioned the first time, but it is from the same issue. It is solved the same way, by hitting Menu Edit... etc, revert). Or clicking on specific rectangles. A lot of a coincidence as to be a different issue.

Maybe I created one text box "as a child" (under it. Can't remember, or a "polygon following text" (ie: text on path), that it's been long deleted) of one of those rectangles with gradients and weirdly the text boxes inherited the gradient (should not, by any UX perspective) ?. Just wandering how such thing ends up "transferring".

So yep, my current bet is that it comes from Designer;it's too many coincidences. And it behaves the same or very similar (the issue) once in Photo. And yes, I triple checked that in Designer as well the text boxes with the problem were having the "none" / "transparent" icon in the background color cell, at character panel. 

Maybe  if some dev dig at the code about that might find something, I don't know. :) 

• Staff

Hi @SrPx

Can you upload a set of sample files to the Dropbox link below please. 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/vdTzU3QB3rW3nhNHhwoL

Also could you just clarify the scenario in which this occurs:

• A PSD file is opened in Designer, the text frames import with a background colour? 
  • On a new afdesign file, text frames are created, these frames are copied to Affinity Photo and they import with a background colour?
  • Whilst working in Affinity Designer, after multiple layers, FXs and adjustments are added, the text frame background changes colour? 
  • A text frame was bound to a rectangle accidentally and the object could not be separated? 

On 3/31/2022 at 10:23 AM, EmT said:

Hi @SrPx

Can you upload a set of sample files to the Dropbox link below please. 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/vdTzU3QB3rW3nhNHhwoL

Also could you just clarify the scenario in which this occurs:

• A PSD file is opened in Designer, the text frames import with a background colour? 
  • On a new afdesign file, text frames are created, these frames are copied to Affinity Photo and they import with a background colour?
  • Whilst working in Affinity Designer, after multiple layers, FXs and adjustments are added, the text frame background changes colour? 
  • A text frame was bound to a rectangle accidentally and the object could not be separated? 

Hi, @EmT

Apologies for my slightly late reply, I've been very busy.

The thing is that I am not 100% sure of what is happening here (only guessed a quick fix). But yes, one of my theories is that, because the file started initially as a PSD template that I downloaded from a print company (it's something I do almost always; I adapt to the specs and templates of the company which will print my work), then some feature in the PSD could be triggering this. Indeed, after that I mainly based on another template, a placed PDF. But the damage from the very old initial PSD import could persist? (I have no idea). But I now don't think that old PSD is the problem.

My stronger "theory" now is that (although the PSD template could be affecting, as I have imported it in both Photo and Designer) the problem generates in Designer, by a rectangle vector shape's background gradient unexpectedly "applying itself" to a text box background. And then we can't remove it, setting the background color to "none" to the text box will do nothing (indeed, already was transparent). Not in Affinity Designer, neither once the file is transferred to edit in Photo.

As for your points/questions :

1 -  If import for example a PSD from Freepik, the text layers' background color/transparency is fine. Indeed, I have imported other times PSDs from my Krita and Clip Studio, with text layers, and did not see that problem happening. Sadly, I do not have with me (nor the company/url) that very old psd template (but I know I used it as a base file). It is all from a very old file. I mean, IF (and I have strong doubts about it) a PSD file was the culprit (I assumed it initially as couldn't think of other differentiating factor) , it probably would be only rare cases, and I don't have a way to now what detail is the trigger, if it is something in the psd files. What I think now is that surely the problem generates in Designer (so not in an external PSD template or PDF). But I could be wrong.  If the question is if any new PSD file imported into Designer has this text box background problem... no, I am now testing with PSDs downloaded from free sites, and even quite complex PSDs, I don't see this problem happening here. Surely this is only happening to very few people, or to no one.

2 - If I do a new afdesign file, create text frames, and hit "edit in Photo", no, the problem won't happen. Background is transparent and layer FXs do apply to the contours of letters, not to the whole frame box, or over a weird added gradient (both issues happening in the problem I detected). It is a matter happening only with these very specific files (I am sending to your dropbox files that have no info from other people's/projects). I think you getting those might be the key.

3 - Initially, I did not detect  the issue in Designer, but in Photo. It happened at some point with those files, yes, the text frames' background was transparent and after working quite in Photo, those text boxes backgrounds became solid.  But it was only (coincidence, imo) after I used the "place as linked" feature. That is why I initially reported an issue with such feature. Later I have realized it might not have anything to do with it. As I have tested that the problem comes from an afdesign file and its text frames becoming wrecked, somehow. Why and when it started happening in the afdesign file is something I really wish I could know and tell you.

4 - I can't remember how it started to happen. But the test files that I am providing, one for Affinity Designer, and another for Affinity Photo, will reproduce always the problem. I have needed to eliminate specific graphics and data, but even so the problem persist. It could be two different problems apart, but it's too much of a coincidence that with both the issue happens with the text boxes (frames?) background. After all, in Photo the problem appears over a file that came from Designer (transferred with "edit in Photo", most of the times, but sometimes just opening the file).

I have named the layers in the Designer file in which I believe lives the original rectangle (it could be an issue with hierarchies) that caused all the mess (and I believe that if it is a expected behavior, many users will get it wrong, like me).

My temporary fix: please, remember to keep an unaltered copy of these files, as once applied the fix, the problem is gone for ever (if you then save the file!), I'm afraid you won't be able to replicate it again. Even if you "undo" all the way! If you don't save the file, then the problem can be replicated once you open the file again (no need to close the app). If you apply the fix (to a particular text frame or with nothing selected, it works anyway!) and save (ctrl+s), once you open the file again, the problem is gone for ever. It works in both Photo and Designer.  But is important to insist on the existence of this trick, as it could serve as a clue for the investigation. So, a reminder of the fix I found: (Sorry if the English menu words are not exactly these ) Go to "Edit" menu at the top menu,  "Default settings", "revert" (not reset to factory defaults!).

I just uploaded now the two files (Designer and Photo files). :) 

Please, let me know if you need more help with whatever.

@EmT I have been now trying to recreate it, but like before, I seem not to be able to find out what process triggered it. At the end might be my initial suspect, that it happens when importing certain PSDs or PDFs or directly opening such files and working over them in A. Designer. I have tried to mess it up playing with hierarchies between a rectangle with a gradient (to transparent) as its background, and text layers, by making said text frames child of the rectangles, and vice versa, rectangles child of text frames, and in no combination it is generating a weird text frame with a gradient background that does appear as a "none" background while actually being a gradient, and that when layer FX are applied to it, it operates on the gradient as if it were part of the text. Nothing of that. In these tests in new files it always keeps being a background that I can deactivate in the element panel (character or rectangle). So, my guess is it happens when importing/opening/placing a PSD or PDF from other applications (not fully sure if the templates where made with Photoshop by that company, as today a PSD can be done by whatever).

But I can't find a way to generate the problem inside Designer (yay, because then "normal usage" is not producing it. Or just I haven't found the iteration).

What I found, I guess is totally expected, but kept me a bit surprised for a while : When making a gradient child of a text frame, it becomes invisible other than if it is below the exact text characters. When below, only the text will show with a gradient fill (kind of like clipping masks but in vectors). This is cool(offers many possibilities), as then it only applies to the characters and that's why you made it a child of.  Same with vice versa, if a text is child of a rectangle with a transparent gradient, text will only be visible in the pixels below the position of the rectangle (although the text does not vanish gradually to transparent as the gradient does). I guess that this is all expected (I'm not too versed in Designer) and the UX is fine.

Sorry, it seems I cannot find the trigger. The files you have now, do have the problem, but I can't think of how else I could help more there.

The silver lining here is that if someone shows up in the future with the issue (maybe they imported a PSD, maybe they'd yet have the files to help hunt the bug, or maybe they made a weird operation only inside Designer), then they will be able to "fix it" for their project (it disappears and won't be a problem for them ever again, with that file), by telling it to them , and so, without losing tons of work with the workaround I mentioned (as initially, I thought I had to throw many hours of work, as the very complex file became ruined to keep working on many layers) by doing the Edit menu/default values/reset (amazing feature). In both Designer and Photo (and with the two problems). So, at least can be offered a solution in those cases (happy clients). :) :). Cheers.

Edited by SrPx
Typos.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem. In the character panel, it shows that the background should be transparent, but it's actually showing a color I used earlier for a rectangle. I can't get rid of it unless I choose a white background, which works since the overall background is white. I want it to work as designed, though, because it should BE transparent and it's not. When I switch back to transparent it turns pink again. It's obviously a glitch. 

It was glitching similarly earlier. I had added a gaussian blur as a live filter to some text. I couldn't save it without it showing as a weird box or lines covering the text, and resaving it only served to change the shape of the box glitch. I finally just changed the text to raster and blurred it the normal way, since it's not too much to just delete the text and do it again rather than it having to be live filtered. But again, I want it to not glitch. And y'all probably want to know there's an issue.

Oh yeah, one more. Earlier I had to scrap a project and start over because I couldn't make the brush work. I made a new layer and...nothing. It was on brush, not the other weird brushes. The opacity and flow were normal, and I used several brushes that usually work fine. Nothing was set to transparent in the colors, and I tried different colors.  Even the paint can fill thing didn't work. Nothing worked. So I started over.

There's a chance it's my computer. But since someone else had the same exact issue, I thought I'd chime in and let you know this does happen. God bless! :)

Isaiah 53 Design 

• Staff

Hi @Isaiah 53 Design

Welcome to the forum. Going forward it is best practice to split your issues into separate posts if they are different to the main issue in the thread. 

In regards to the transparent box issue. Could you advise if this occurs on newly created objects or on objects imported from PSD or PDF? 
Could provide a screen recording of the issue in action and provide a copy of the file the issue occurs on. Could you also advise if this is recreatable on a new Affinity document. 

In regards to the second points, could you make a new post so as not to detract from this bug report, we will then be able to provide more accurate assistance for each topic.