You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Corner Bug on Expanded Paths and More

Hello, 

When searching for answers I have found a few posts from old forum sections and describing other things that may be related. 

Are you using the latest release version?
Yes. Version 1.10.5.1342 on Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 15 9570

Can you reproduce it?

Yes in at least one way. 

Does it happen for a new document? If not can you upload a document that shows the problem?

Yes. Very few steps reproduce it. 

If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:

What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)?

Windows 10, updated

Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ? (and have you tried the other setting?)

Yes. No. 

What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)

Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).

1. Create a shape (I used a star)

2. Increase thickness of path

3. Expand path

4. Select all nodes

5. Use the corner tool on an internal corner to adjust

6. Program hangs then crashes shortly after. The expanded shapes created by Designer are incorrect. 

Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.

Step by step: https://imgur.com/a/ufcpkOe

Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.

No.

Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)

Just started trying, but it seems like similar things are happening and have been happening for a long time. 

March 10, 2020 > https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/109768-corner-tool-on-expanded-stroke-glitch-freeze-or-crash/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/148441-expand-stroke-is-creating-weird-paths/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/148450-affinity-designer-corner-tool-bug/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/129951-corner-tool-bug/

This seems like something that is basic functionality for a vector program. The forums won't let me embed an image of the final result again (199k png of the last imgur image > "Sorry, an unknown server error occurred when uploading this file.
(Error code: -200)".

• Staff

Hi Valerian,

When I follow the steps here I don't seem to get a crash unfortunately. Please could you try this Open CL disabled? If possible could you provide a copy of the Affinity document containing the star just so I can be sure the crash definitely isn't occurring for me? It would also be handy if you could provide a copy of the latest crash report found by following the below guide.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98904-where-to-find-crash-reports/
Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Callum
With OpenCL still enabled:

1. Opening the file that I had saved on the step before crashing, on a fresh start of Designer didn't crash but the paths were still incorrect from the 'expand' operation. (Image)

2. Closing Designer and recreating the steps listen in my first post caused crashes. It was hard to catch a snip at the right time before it crashed these two times. It seems like the 'expand' path function messes up memory and files. I finally got a snip on the third crash. (image)

3. Both files included. The first was saved at the step before crashes on the date of the original post. The second file was saved on the step before the crashes tonight.

4. Here is the crash report file. The file has a 'date modified' of 03-11-2022 so it doesn't have any of the crashes from the original post or the three total that happened in the last hour. 

5. Included screenshot to verify version information. 

2022-03-29 23_06_22-Affinity Designer.png

2022-03-29 23_18_48-.png

2022-03-29 23_34_21-Designer Corner Bug on Expanded Paths and More - Designer Bugs found on Windows .png

52466cab-c345-4cdd-aa8f-3462c1a6f3e4.dmp 01-affinity-designer-broken-corners.afdesign 02-fresh-creation-before crash.afdesign

Dell Update and Windows Update are to date so I believe so. Expanding the paths still creates errors but there haven't been any crashes the few times I've tried it. This is from a fresh start and following the steps in the original post. I moved the inside right node to the right for both shapes when I usually move an upper-left node to the northwest at a distance of half the stroke width. Tried moving other nodes as well and no crash so far. Without OpenCL the corner operation freezes for some seconds (15s on the double star) on both shapes. 

I restarted Affinity Designer, created the shapes again, expanded the path, then saved and restarted Designer. I don't think it is a display issue. The shapes still have errors or the tool still doesn't work correctly because the corners aren't even. Designer is very slow with all operations as well with OpenCL off. 

Anything else I can use to help diagnose?

2022-03-31 13_45_15-Affinity Designer.png

2022-03-31 13_58_35-Affinity Designer.png