You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer and Photo crash when dragging file via Universal Control

Using the latest version of Mac and iPadOS, latest versions of Designer and Photo on an M1 iPad Pro, dragging a photo from the Mac to the Photo or Designer application file browser/start screen via Universal Control will crash the app upon dropping the file onto the app window open on the iPad.

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

50 minutes ago, Denny said:

Using the latest version of Mac and iPadOS, latest versions of Designer and Photo on an M1 iPad Pro, dragging a photo from the Mac to the Photo or Designer application file browser/start screen via Universal Control will crash the app upon dropping the file onto the app window open on the iPad.

Hi, I accidentally found this article https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/700925 called “Universal Control can’t drag and drop files across devices”

The solutions seems to be as follows: “It turns out to be a problem with the settings. To solve this, you can go to iPad Settings - Accessibility - Touch - AssistiveTouch. Find Perform Touch Gestures and switch it off. Then you'll probably find Universal Control works properly.”

All the best!

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

Thanks iuli!

Upon first reading your response I didn't think it would be helpful because file sharing between the two devices via Universal Control and drag/drop is actually working fine in other ways. I've been able to drag back and forth between them using different apps with no problem. It was just the two Affinity apps on the iPad that was causing those apps to crash. But I tried the suggested solution anyway and it does indeed fix the problem for those two specific apps. With that option off I can now drag files from the Mac to the Affinity apps on iPad with no crash. 

Thanks again!

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

• Staff

Hi Denny,

Im struggling to recreate this behaviour even with the assisted touch setting enabled. I understand the issue is now solved for you but if possible could you enable this setting again and provide a screen recording demonstrating the crash just so I can log this our developers as a potential issue to look out for?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.