You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Memory leak? Frequent crashes and large RAM usage

As I reported here, I've had constant issues with large RAM usage and crashing in Affinity Publisher.

My primary usage is creating hymnals. They may be around 400-500 pages and contain perhaps 400 linked PDFs. I can share the file privately.

At present I have to wait approximately 4 minutes for the RAM and CPU to settle down, and then it usually doesn't crash. If I try to do anything in the program before then, it crashes 100% of the time. 

I have this exact same issue on two machines. One is Windows 10, Ryzen 5900x, 64GB RAM, Publisher 1.10.5. The other machine is Windows 11, Intel 11th-gen i7, 64GB RAM, Publisher 1.9. I have no idea which of these specs are pertinent, or if there are additional ones needed.

I've been trying to work around this issue for two months since switching from InDesign (quite happy to switch, I might add), and I am at my wits' end. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is a known issue (at least it should be since I reported it right around when Publisher came out). I had what I believe is the exact same problem. My project was about 450 pages, also with linked sheet music PDFs on most pages. The more PDFs I added the more unusable Publisher was, with frequent crashes and using huge amounts of memory.

The workaround was to simply embed all the linked files (I believe you can do it all at once in 'Resource Manager'). It still takes a little while to load up the project, but it's not that bad, and once loaded, it works great (I also currently have a similar Ryzen CPU). Of course having the files linked would still be more handy, but it's not difficult to update embedded files as needed.

Edited by Nathan Shirley
minor correction