You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 crashes when you select all text

If I select portions to alter, say text size—no problem.

2nd issue, not related, is creating a new text style based on a current one. I created a new style with a different font size, gave it a name but it didn't show in the panel. When i went to create another one, it said that name was already taken; still nothing in the panel. Several minutes later—I don't even remember what I was doing—it popped up in the panel.

I haven't noticed any other issues so far.

• Staff

Hi @VJS,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I've tested this here with a 100 page document, using linked text frames. Each page is filled with filler text at 12pt, totalling 72,200+ words across the full document and I'm able to select all text without the app crashing - so this may be something local to your document, or machine.

image.png

image.png

Can you please provide a sample of the document that is crashing when selecting all text? If you'd like a private upload link for this file, please let me know!

On 3/26/2022 at 5:02 PM, VJS said:

2nd issue, not related, is creating a new text style based on a current one. I created a new style with a different font size, gave it a name but it didn't show in the panel. When i went to create another one, it said that name was already taken; still nothing in the panel. Several minutes later—I don't even remember what I was doing—it popped up in the panel.

Again, this isn't something I'm able to replicate here - what font is used for this text style please? What are the main 'traits' of this text style, or do you see the same delay regardless of fonts/settings used?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I so appreciate you replying so quickly. If I could, I'd like to treat them separately. This is a 1-page, two-column document of text. I tried it again today after a restart of the computer and it crashed again. I have attached a zip file with all 3 Apple Log crash reports and the document. I can send a short video of it crashing if that would also help. Again this is with version 1.10.5AffinityPublisher crashes.zip

• Staff

No problem at all, I certainly understand & many thanks for the files provided!

I've tested your document here on both macOS and Windows, using a combination of CTRL/CMD + A or quintuple clicking (5 times in quick succession) and the app hasn't crashed on either platform, with either method.

19 hours ago, VJS said:

I can send a short video of it crashing if that would also help.

If you could upload this here for me, this may certainly help :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I had already copied text from a Word document and then double-clicked the Affinity window to get into the text editing mode when it crashes.

This never happened with the previous version. However, it appears that whatever the issue is it's been resolved (after 4 more crashes on the 28) as I've been trying to finish a project for my pastor. Yesterday I work on 2 separate files with no problems; I just opened 6 different files and selected text in each with no problem. I'm sending those Apple crash reports as well. I'm still using 10.14.6 if that could make a possible difference. The crash movie is from the 28th; you might be able to hear the mouse clicking.

You've been great!

Affinity Publisher crashes.zip

• Staff

Thanks for providing these for me, there's certainly some interesting data in your crash reports so I'm getting these logged with our developers now for you!

In the meantime, I'm glad to hear this issue is no longer occurring - I suspect it may be due to the specific content you are pasting from Word, so should you experience this issue again, a copy of the Word document would definitely help us to replicate this :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for providing these for me, there's certainly some interesting data in your crash reports so I'm getting these logged with our developers now for you!

In the meantime, I'm glad to hear this issue is no longer occurring - I suspect it may be due to the specific content you are pasting from Word, so should you experience this issue again, a copy of the Word document would definitely help us to replicate this :)

It did happen one more time yesterday, this time when I selected text, but I wasn't recording. I do use a small app—Paste Plain Text—to strip formatting when I copy from Word to paste into Publisher, so there is something on the Clipboard when I select the text in
Publisher to replace. If I don't, I found out that I get a whole new set of the text styles for all my outlining levels. It took me a while to figure that one out. At one point I ended up with 6 different versions of each in one document.

46 minutes ago, VJS said:

I copy from Word to paste into Publisher

Does word have a copy as plain text option available?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

53 minutes ago, VJS said:

I do use a small app—Paste Plain Text—to strip formatting

Couldn't you just use, in Publisher, Edit > Paste Without Formatting?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I never knew that Publisher had the option in the Edit menu. Thanks, Walt, for pointing that out.

Also, Old Bruce, Word (Mac 2011) that I use does have it under Edit–>Paste Special (click)–>then two of the choices are RTF or Unformatted Text. The key combination is the same as Publisher ("Command" + "Option" + "Shift" + "v") but it doesn't seem to work internally in Publisher, only if the text is being brought in from another app.

It's just with Paste Plain Text I can leave it on Automatically Clear Formatting which eliminates a lot of key combos if I'm doing multiple pastes, especially from different documents.