You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

FR: Picture frame scale with content available in all four corners

Greetings to Serif!

Please, would it be possible to add the additional anchor points for scaling a picture frame with its content to all four corners? It would be a great timesaver. Now i can scale the frame with a picture only using the bottom right corner.

Thank you, sincerely

Stepan

Would you be able to explain a bit more about what you are doing and what you want?
Specifically, what do you mean by “anchor points” and “scaling a picture frame with its content”.
It’s probably just a misunderstanding of the phrases used but I can’t figure out what you are trying to do.
Visual examples usually help, videos are sometimes better if you can make one and narrate or annotate.

• Staff

Hi @Stepaan,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Picture frames do not have a "detached" bottom right handle by default. To scale an image contained in a picture frame click once over the image on canvas then drag the slider that will appear below the picture frame. Alternatively double click the Picture Frame oncanvas to select the image contained within it (rather the picture frame itself) and drag any of the corner handles of the image.

If you are seeing a detached handle on the bottom right corner of the picture frame, you probably have it grouped with some text frame or other objects or there a text frame or other object contained inside the picture frame besides the image itself.

Can you attach a screenshot of the application with the picture frame selected and the Layers panel visible with the picture frame layer expanded please? Thank you.

27 minutes ago, MEB said:

If you are seeing a detached handle on the bottom right corner of the picture frame, you probably have it grouped with some text frame or other objects or there a text frame or other object contained inside the picture frame besides the image itself.

If you select an image inside a picture frame directly on the Layers panel then move it or resize it (to better fit the frame) then when you next select the picture frame it will have the extra handle on it

To remove/bypass the extra handle, you can rasterize the image layer (not advisable)

or group just the picture frame then you can rescale the group from every corner which will also rescale the picture frame within

I do not know if there is any other way to get rid of that extra handle on the picture frame when it first shows up

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

@carl123
Thanks for raising that case. That happens when the picture scale scaling method is set to None (which is what happens when you scale the image manually). To get rid of the extra handle set the picture frame scale properties to Scale to Max Fit (which is the default when you drop an image to the picture frame) or to any of the two other options (off course the image will then be scaled accordingly).

When you scale the image manually, the extra handle then lets you scale both the picture frame and the content at once together.

397122568_Snmekobrazovky2022-03-25204303.png.7dbed7e68ebff4eded4b629d9fc960ca.png

When I need to change the size of a picture frame AND its content, i have to drag the point A.

But what if i need the point A to stay at its position and resize the image from the point C? I can't. I know, there are several possibilities in the Picture Frame Properties. But then I begin a circle of turning fitting options on and off/opening the Properties/choosing the proper anchor point to which measure the transformations/closing the Properties/ and so on repeatedly. This workflow is terrible. I need a smooth system to work with frames. Change its size WITH or WITHOUT transforming picture from ANY side.

So the points B, C, D are my original feature request ;-)

P.S. I know I can choose picture frame layer or picture layer, and transform them, or double clicking the frame, but again. Point and click. Like back in the days of LucasArts games.