You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to 'slide' handles over its visual line to shorten it without changing angle or losing sync with other handle?

I'm often shortening the length between a node and its handle dot by moving the handle dot. However, so far I never managed to find a way to do this without changing the angle between node and handle and without removing the angle sync with the other handle.

What I need in these situations is to simply 'slide' the anchor over its visual line to or from the node.

Is there currently a shortcut that makes this possible?

Does holding down Shift when you drag the node do what you want to do?
If not, I’m confused about what you mean by “without removing the angle sync with the other handle”.
If Shift doesn’t help, would you be able to give us a visual example showing what you mean?

Thanks @GarryP and @MEB, I just did a quick test with using shift and it kind of keeps the angle, but still moves the angle in increments of like 45 degrees. That's still not a very nice workflow. Isn't there anything that can just slide the node without moving the angle, even not these 45 degrees increments? Or perhaps can we turn these increments off somewhere?

I haven't had much time to really try this out yet. Have to do that later. But so far I'm not really convinced this is what I'm looking for. Also because it seems we always have to switch to the node tool while drawing with the pen tool to shorten the handle. It would be a lot faster and convenient to be able to do this while using the pen tool. But I'll try to test and try it in a normal workflow.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Friksel,
Even if the handle jumps to a 45º degree position you can still "snap" it back to its original direction adjusting it a bit. Currently it's not possible to manage handle's dots directly with the Pen Tool.

Alright. Although not ideal, I'll try to get used to it. Have a nice weekend!