You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer closes after seconds

I have this software since february 2021, paid €83 and it never worked! Hope someone could help.

I tryed everything but it keeps closing. I also don't have any of the software list that don't work with designer. Photo and Publisher also do not work. 

-windows 10 (x64) full updated

-Intel UHD Graphics 630

-designer last version

System

- Provider
      [ Name] .NET Runtime

- EventID 1026
      [ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2022-03-23T23:18:51.9160235Z

EventRecordID 78296

Correlation

- Execution
      [ ProcessID] 0
      [ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer xxxxx

Security
- EventData

Aplicação: Designer.exe Versão do Framework: v4.0.30319 Descrição: O processo foi terminado devido a uma excepção não processada. Informações da Excepção: System.AccessViolationException em <Module>.Renderer.FontMetrics.Make(Kernel.Counted<Renderer::FontMetrics const >*, Kernel.Font*) em Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CanRender(Kernel.Font*) em Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CreatePreviewBitmap(System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker) em Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.EnumFontsW(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) em System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) em System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object) Informações da Excepção: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException em System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary() em Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs) em System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs) em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) em System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem() em System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Please try to deactivate OpenCL hardware acceleration, and update both .net and GPU driver to latest versions. These updates must be done separately from OS.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Hi @Ruy R,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm that your crash report provided seems to show the Affinity app is having trouble with your locally installed fonts/font cache;

11 hours ago, Ruy R said:

Informações da Excepção: System.AccessViolationException em <Module>.Renderer.FontMetrics.Make(Kernel.Counted<Renderer::FontMetrics const >*, Kernel.Font*) em Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CanRender(Kernel.Font*) em Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CreatePreviewBitmap(System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker) em Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.EnumFontsW(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) em

I can see you've previously posted in a separate thread regarding a similar issue, however you have not repeated the same information here (ie the fonts within Windows disappearing when opening Affinity apps) - is this still the case when opening the apps? Have you tried the suggestions in the thread you have posted in previously?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I updated all the drivers but apps continue to close.

EventData

Application: Designer.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.Renderer.FontMetrics.Make(Kernel.Counted<Renderer::FontMetrics const >*, Kernel.Font*) at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CanRender(Kernel.Font*) at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CreatePreviewBitmap(System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker) at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.EnumFontsW(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object) Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException at System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary() at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem() at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

I also run a .bat to clean font cache:

@echo off
echo Reset the font cache by temporarily halting the following services:
echo     Windows Font Cache Service [FontCache]
echo     Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 [FontCache3.0.0.0]
echo.

sc config "fontcache" start= disabled
sc config "FontCache3.0.0.0" start= disabled
sc stop FontCache
sc stop FontCache3.0.0.0
timeout 5

echo.
echo Emptying %WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache\
echo.
del /s /q %WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache\*.*

echo.
echo Erasing %WinDir%\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT
echo.
del %WinDir%\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

echo.
echo Re-enabling the font cache services...
echo.

sc config "fontcache" start= demand
sc config "FontCache3.0.0.0" start= demand

echo.
echo Done. Please restart Windows.
echo.

pause

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can I do more? Thanks

• Staff

Many thanks for confirming that for me @Ruy R & I'm sorry to hear this hasn't helped!

I'd like to request a copy of your Event Viewer log, as this should contain more information to the cause of this crash, so please try launching the app once more, then do the following -

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for confirming that for me @Ruy R & I'm sorry to hear this hasn't helped!

I'd like to request a copy of your Event Viewer log, as this should contain more information to the cause of this crash, so please try launching the app once more, then do the following -

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here :)

Thanks

windows logs 28032022.evtx

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me!

Can you please try the following:

Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and then type CMD and press Enter. This will launch Command Prompt.

*Presuming you have the app installed in the default location, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\" and press Enter. Now type Designer --disable-font-preview-cache and press Enter - the app will now launch.

Do you still have the same issue? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

20 hours ago, Dan C said:

Can you please try the following:

Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and then type CMD and press Enter. This will launch Command Prompt.

*Presuming you have the app installed in the default location, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\" and press Enter. Now type Designer --disable-font-preview-cache and press Enter - the app will now launch.

Do you still have the same issue? :)

It's working! Many Thanks! What now? Could we make a .bat file with this information or is there other way to launch the apps?

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me, that's great to hear! This would usually indicate Affinity is having trouble loading a specific font on your system, though I'm unable to verify which exact font.

We can add this command to the Shortcut for the apps, so that each time you launch from the shortcuts, this is used.

To do this, locate the Shortcut on your desktop and right-click this, then select Properties. In the dialog that opens, add the command in the Target dialog, after the location of the app is listed, this should look as follows - 

image.png

Select Apply and you should now find you're able to launch the apps from these icons without the app crashing :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me, that's great to hear! This would usually indicate Affinity is having trouble loading a specific font on your system, though I'm unable to verify which exact font.

We can add this command to the Shortcut for the apps, so that each time you launch from the shortcuts, this is used.

To do this, locate the Shortcut on your desktop and right-click this, then select Properties. In the dialog that opens, add the command in the Target dialog, after the location of the app is listed, this should look as follows - 

image.png

Select Apply and you should now find you're able to launch the apps from these icons without the app crashing :)

It worked! Many Thanks! Strange that Photoshop work with all the fonts I have installed. I will test all the 3 apps. Thanks

• 4 months later...

I have a similar behavior on a brand new laptop that I installed Photo on. It is a Windows 11 PC with and Intel A370M Graphics and a i7-1260P processor. I have all the Windows and HP updates. I get a similar error with the app closing for all 3 programs - Photo, Designer, and Publisher. Here is the event log error report:

- <System>
  <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-08-01T20:54:00.1537461Z" />
  <EventRecordID>5313</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="6356" ThreadID="0" />
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>Vicam-Spectre</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>Application: Photo.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.GlyphsInspectorNode.MakeSample(GlyphsInspectorNode*, Kernel.Counted<Raster::Buffer<Raster::Red8,Raster::Green8,Raster::Blue8,Raster::Alpha8,Raster::X5> >*, Kernel.NonCounted<GlyphsInspector>*) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.Glyph.Render() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() Exception Info: System.AggregateException at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].GetResultCore(Boolean) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.Glyph.OnRenderComplete(System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1<System.Windows.Media.ImageSource>) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() Exception Info: System.AggregateException at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>
Edited by Vicam

• Staff

Hi @Vicam,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I'd like to request a copy of your Affinity log file, and any crash reports being generated to further investigate this issue.

Can you please try running Affinity Photo once again, then open Windows Run (Windows Key + R), paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\

In the window that opens, please select log.txt, then attach this to your reply here.

Return to the above folder and open CrashReports, then reports. Please attach the latest 2-3 crash reports from this folder, alongside the log file.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

I'd recommend ensuring you have the latest GPU drivers for both your integrated Xe Graphics, and the dedicated A370M card, directly from Intels website, as HP updates tend to be 1 or 2 versions behind this.

Secondly, it may be Hardware Acceleration causing these crashes, so we'll need to disable this with the apps closed. You can do this using the following disabler app -

Finally, I'd like to try forcing Affinity to only use the Xe card, to see if this will open for you. Please follow the below instructions to force the Xe to be used by Affinity -

Does this allow the app top open please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!