You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reason for this issue using Pencil tool + Major FX performance Issues

Hi,

I seem to experience a certain situation of severe performance issue  with my pencil tool in wish I have managed to reproduce in this attached AD file

I just wondering if there was a simple explanation why I would be experiencing this issue. I would say I have a decent machine (Win 10 pro 64bit) I7, 1080ti, 32gb with latest drivers

I thought I do the right thing and report it just in case, it would be interesting if other users experience the same issue

Re-creating my issue

The issue is if I scribble a line across the image if can take 10-20 seconds to render before finally creating a top layer with the resulting scribble.

If however I add a new layer first and then do a scribble with the pencil tool there seems to be no issue

Apologies if this is a known issue

pumpkin.afdesign

Affinity Photo Version 2, Affinity Designer Version 2 on PC and iPad

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

i7-7700K@4.20GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti

• Staff

Hi @SteveR_UK

I am unable to replicate this behaviour. Could you try unchecking OpenCL Compute Acceleration under Preferences > Performance and seeing if this helps. 

If this does not help could you attach a screen recording of the issue and a screenshot of your Performance settings

Yep I did try unchecking OpenCL Compute Acceleration (and re-started) and made no difference

Hi Hens,

Thanks, I would imagine this would be the case , will confirm this when I get time

as I said before also if a add a layer before drawing I have no issues

TBH for some reason on my system the FX (layer effects) have a major impact on performance.

If I draw just three curves on the screen and add a layer effect to each of them with say 3d and bevel/emboss enabled, and then start editing the points of the curves , my system grinds to crawl (see Video)

I just thought I do the same thing on my iPad  and it works great, very smooth, no issues.

??