You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

GPU stays hot (maximum voltage) even after closing Affinity Photo

I'm on Windows 10, running a Radeon RX 460 video card with up-to-date drivers.

With hardware acceleration enabled in Affinity Photo, my GPU heats up substantially (i.e. to the same level as when gaming). This in itself is probably fine. However, even after I close Affinity Photo, my GPU stays at maximum voltage (checked in Radeon software and in HWInfo64), and the temperature never drops back down. Actual GPU usage is negligible in task manager, however. It is as if some process is started by Affinity that "warms up" my GPU, but is never actually killed when closing the software. My GPU remains in this state until I reboot my system. It is as if Affinity's hardware acceleration feature has "locked" my GPU in State 7 even after I close it.

Normal Idle GPU temperature: ~42 celsius.

Normal Idle GPU Clock Speed: 214 MHz

Normal Idle GPU Core Voltage: 0.850 V

GPU fan off.

---

GPU temperature when in Affinity: 64 celsius.

GPU clock speed in Affinity:  1200 MHz (max)

GPU Core Voltage in Affinity: 1.106 V

GPU fan on.

---

GPU temperature 10 minutes after closing Affinity: 64 celsius

GPU clock speed 10 minutes after closing Affinity: 1200 MHz (max)

GPU Core Voltage 10 minutes after closing Affinity: 1.106 V

GPU fan on.

After rebooting, everything returns to normal. This is tested after a fresh reboot, with no other software running besides Affinity Photo, HWinfo64, and the Radeon control panel.

Edited by halfwalk

I could easily be misremembering, but didn't some Radeon users have problems with their GPUs downclocking while they were gaming?  Is it possible that the card's been configured to prevent this, and stays locked?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

On 3/22/2022 at 4:24 AM, DWright said:

Hi @halfwalk,

In your Radeon control software does the cards fans speed up when the temperature rises and after the Affinity Photo program closes does the fan speed change at all. 

The fan behaves normally, according to whichever fan profile I have chosen for the GPU, which is based on the temperature of the GPU. If my GPU temp goes up, my fan speed goes up. If GPU temp drops below a certain threshold, fan drops to 0 RPM.

In other words, fan is behaving as expected. Since my GPU stays hot (max clock/voltage) even after closing any Affinity software, the fan reacts accordingly.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:37 AM, IanSG said:

I could easily be misremembering, but didn't some Radeon users have problems with their GPUs downclocking while they were gaming?  Is it possible that the card's been configured to prevent this, and stays locked?

I don't really know anything about this. I just know that my GPU clock/voltage/fan stuff seems to behave exactly as I would expect it to for everything else on my computer that involves GPU/hardware-acceleration (e.g. gaming, video stuff, Google Earth Pro, etc). The "anomaly" seems to be specific to Affinity software's hardware acceleration, from what I can tell. Something about Affinity suite seems to just tell my video card "get hot and stay hot after we close, until reboot."

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

What's the GPU usage showing after closing Affinity Photo?

GPU usage after closing shows 0-1% (i.e. normal idle levels), but the voltage and clock speed remain maxed out. So the temperature remains high, with fan spinning to match, even though the GPU is no longer being used.

Typically my idle GPU clock speed (State0) is 214MHz, at 800mV, with temps in the mid 40s, fan at 0 RPM. But while running and after closing Affinity Photo, the clock stays maxed at 1200MHz @ 1.14V (i.e. State7), temps in the upper 60s (which basically the same as while gaming), and does not leave that maxed out state until I reboot. Normally after running a game, the GPU powers back down after closing the game. But with AP, it never "gets the message," so to speak, to power back down after closing. So the temperature stays in the upper 60s and the fan stays running, even at ~0% utilization.

10 hours ago, halfwalk said:

But with AP, it never "gets the message," so to speak, to power back down after closing.

What happens if you open and then exit (e.g.) a game when the gpu clock is in an elevated state?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

8 hours ago, IanSG said:

What happens if you open and then exit (e.g.) a game when the gpu clock is in an elevated state?

Interesting, I hadn't thought to try that. It looks like launching and closing a 3d game gets my GPU to return to normal. Kind of a hacky workaround, but still better than having to reboot completely. I suppose that will have to suffice for now. Thanks!