You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replacing missing Chinese characters in Publisher

I don't know if this has been addressed anywhere in the Forum, but I figured out a relatively easy way of getting a missing Chinese character to appear in Publisher. This was done using a Mac, I've no idea if it works with Windows.

Select the character that is missing in AP in the original text file, then right-click on it and use the "search in Google" option.
1493738945_Screenshot2022-03-20at13_13_48.png.3601fabd85d50d1be52f136899b08950.png

In Google the top find should be Wiktionary. Click on that link.

In Wiktionary, on the top right of the page it will show the glyph number.
803479724_Screenshot2022-03-20at13_16_29.png.7394d35bd16a5e271c89a413e7148830.png

Go back to Publisher, and in the Glyph Browser panel put the character number in the search bar, and it will highlight the corresponding character.
521561283_Screenshot2022-03-20at13_22_00.png.e48546f81a847b3116b102e35297477e.png

Highlight the missing Chinese character (usually indicated with a box) in the Publisher text. Double-click the highlighted character in the Glyph Browser and it will replace the selected missing character in the text.

It's a workaround, but it's easiest one I've used, and I've used some convoluted ones that I won't mention.

With the character selected, you can use the ‘Toggle Unicode’ command to display the code without having to do a Google (or other) search for it.

Affinity Publisher Help: Special characters and glyphs

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Alfred said:

With the character selected, you can use the ‘Toggle Unicode’ command to display the code without having to do a Google (or other) search for it.

Affinity Publisher Help: Special characters and glyphs

That sounds like something Windows specific, as I can't find that in Mac. My suggestion might only be relevant to the way I work, as I place text by copy and pasting it into Publisher from a Word file, which shows the Chinese characters correctly, or I'm assuming it does as I don't read Chinese. It's just occasional characters that don't show up correctly.

28 minutes ago, Chris Patmore said:

That sounds like something Windows specific, as I can't find that in Mac.

The online Help is based on the Mac version of the in-app Help. Assuming that you have a Text menu within the app, there should be a ‘Toggle Unicode’ option there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)