You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My Affinity Designer document contained a dozen lines using a font named Barmeno. It only has 4 weights and I used 2 of them. The file looked fine but it refused to print.

After much time of instituting a repair of all 3 Affinity apps (they were never broken), reinstalling my HP printer (it was never broken either) I finally discovered the problem.

I printed a different file from Affinity and it printed so I knew it had to be the font. After swapping it for another, problem was resolved.

I'm recreating my CorelDraw files in Affinity but this issue has me nervous. Why did this font not print??

Could be a demo font. They will have restrictions on them that may limit printing or saving to PDF (anything that retains the font). If it is a demo font you could always outline the font before printing if you really have to have that font. I avoid these fonts as they are not licensed for commercial use but do get it from clients now and then. I will prepare everything and save, then outline, save as PDF and close without saving so the font is still there if I need to make changes. It is a pain, but not something I come across on a daily basis. 

29 minutes ago, mizwizzy said:

Why did this font not print??

It may be in a format that is not completely supported by the Affinity applications. Or it may be broken in some way that affects the Affinity applications, but that some others can work with.

Where did you obtain the font, and what version of the font do you have?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I figured out this mystery by having a closer look at my fonts, that one in particular and others. Barmeno showed that it was converted from my E drive and it gave the string ending with Alltype. I deleted it and installed it from a Font Collection that I have on my computer and now Barmeno and all its weights are printing.

I'm going to have a look at all my fonts today. A project that might take some time but worth it to make sure there are no snags and Affinity will be happy🙂

NOTE: I had 949 fonts. I went through them all and whittled them to 781. None are saying converted now. I'm feeling more assured that going forward things are going to be good.

23 hours ago, mizwizzy said:

Alltype

Alltype was an old font conversion application which was used to batch convert Type 1 fonts to TrueType ... badly.

The fonts are probably broken as old conversions like that typically do not have proper name fields for modern applications, especially with font families. Single fonts may work.

Affinity apps will sometimes do nothing when confused by broken fonts.

Best guess without seeing the fonts.