You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 11 months later...

Surely symbols can be used for this in v1.5?

Of course they can, but not retrospectively! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

This would be a really good feature to add. I use affinity to make scientific figures and it so much happens that you want to change the size of a group of circles, dot or triangles. I have to do it manually now which is very time-consuming. 

13 minutes ago, seyed said:

This would be a really good feature to add. I use affinity to make scientific figures and it so much happens that you want to change the size of a group of circles, dot or triangles. I have to do it manually now which is very time-consuming. 

If you create a symbol from a vector shape, changing any instance of the symbol should simultaneously change all other instances which are still synced. Doesn’t that happen for you?

Alfred spacer.png

16 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

If you create a symbol from a vector shape, changing any instance of the symbol should simultaneously change all other instances which are still synced. Doesn’t that happen for you?

Hi Alfred

I don't think so. Because the elements (which for me are usually circles or dots) are generated by another program like MATLAB or a script in Python and imported via PDF. I should not change them, or substitute them, first because they are meaningful because they are in a chart or graph and second because they are too many, like 100 or more.

So, I think the thing that would help me is a group resizing. Of course, I'd appreciate it if you can point me another solution.

13 minutes ago, seyed said:

I think the thing that would help me is a group resizing.

If you can select all of them by drawing a marquee around them with the Move Tool, you should then be able to drag the nodes of the selection box to resize them all.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you can select all of them by drawing a marquee around them with the Move Tool, you should then be able to drag the nodes of the selection box to resize them all.

That's right, but by proceeding in this way, the objects will change size and they will also change position and I have the impression that this is not desired by @chr.schmitz.

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

9 minutes ago, reglico said:

That's right, but by proceeding in this way, the objects will change size and they will also change position and I have the impression that this is not desired by @chr.schmitz.

As @reglico mentioned, this way of resizing will change the position as well and it absolutely does not work for the current problem. I need a way that resizes the elements in their original position, so if you have a set of 100 points, I want to change each points' height and width without touching their relative position to each other.

BTW, I am doing it by hand right now :D 

I have an art board with a stack of 19 images all with sub-pixel heights & Y positions - I want to set an integral height of 102px and then butt all the images together so their Y  are 102px increments from the First one which is on an integral Y position - creating a seamless stack down the artboard. Seems no may to do it except by hand and it takes ages (10+ minutes) to do one page of these and I have 30 artboards :// (5+ hours grind)

10 hours ago, drkanukie said:

I have an art board with a stack of 19 images all with sub-pixel heights & Y positions - I want to set an integral height of 102px and then butt all the images together so their Y  are 102px increments from the First one which is on an integral Y position - creating a seamless stack down the artboard. Seems no may to do it except by hand and it takes ages (10+ minutes) to do one page of these and I have 30 artboards :// (5+ hours grind)

Are all the image the same dimensions?

If Yes

1. Leave the images stacked, select them all and set their height to 102px in the transform Panel
  2. If you don't have this icon 728747916_ScreenShot2.png.81cad00eb9148363fe6427bc3bd9e4ce.pngon your Toolbar along the top, add it by right clicking on the Toolbar and selecting Customise Toolbar
    1. 390935067_ScreenShot4.png.6c5602b42e4f2b48aab64c44d35a3622.png
    2. 1133005873_ScreenShot3.png.b94c568b11696847e188a9468ede589e.png
  3. Now select the Alignment icon
    1. 1274417965_ScreenShot6.png.3560595d32d9836003bd79f34a647001.png

Why does it say Customize Toolbar and not Customise Toolbar, I thought this was a UK based app?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Why does it say Customize Toolbar and not Customise Toolbar, I thought this was a UK based app?

What version of English have you selected in your UI preferences? That will affect the spelling in a lot of places.

Edit: Sigh. But, of course, that would mean it should be customise. I thought about things backward; Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thank you @firstdefence for your detailed answer. But, I'm afraid your solution still will not solve my problem. Let me give an example. Here I have 128 circles, currently not filled and stroke width is 5pt.  I want them to be bigger, say 10 pt, but their position should not change at all. I cannot do resizing since it changes the positions. changing the stroke width will cause donut shapes, and filling them does not really fill them.

I also attached the .afdesign file.

circ-5pt.jpg

circ-10pt.jpg

circ-filled.jpg

head_test_oc.afdesign

21 minutes ago, seyed said:

Thank you @firstdefence for your detailed answer. But, I'm afraid your solution still will not solve my problem.

Note that the answer was not to your question, but to the one posed by drkanukie (who was quoted in firstdefence's post).

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The ‘-ize’ suffix is perfectly acceptable in UK English (and actually preferred by OUP) but it needs to be used consistently.

Alfred spacer.png

26 minutes ago, MEB said:

Currently there's no way to resize multiple existing objects individually keeping their current positions. I advise you to add this to the Suggestions for Affinity Designer on Desktop section.

The OP has now created such a thread here. :)

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, seyed said:

changing the stroke width will cause donut shapes, and filling them does not really fill them.

Yeah, that is weird, I am looking at it now and I think you've found a bug regarding the small size of the dot/ellipse getting an offset for the stroke after it reaches a certain size.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@seyed, by using the "Outline" fx instead of a normal contour, you avoid the doughnut effect, the circles are enlarged and remain in their respective positions, but maybe I am missing something...

Contour cercle.png