You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop tool

Hi,

Part of my job is to crop employees portraits to a specific size and resolution (2.7cm x 3.5 cm at 150 dpi) I do it in one move with the crop tool (in Photoshop) - It is so simple - attached screenshot

I have tried using Infinity photo’s crop tool, but I have to keep using Photoshop.

With each update of Affinity I expect the crop tool’s capabilities to be extended, but it never happens, I have mentioned this on 3 updates, but to no avail. - I was trying to switch from Photoshop to Affinity, but because of this problem, I find myself using Photoshop for nearly all of my work.

Is there any possibility that one day I will be able to do this task simply in Affinity?

David

post-2350-0-94443700-1449985724_thumb.jpg

David, while it is not the solution you hope for, have you considered making a "template" document of the target size and resolution (2.7cm x 3.5 cm at 150 dpi) and then pasting a rough (over) selection into a layer on that template? You could then quickly re-size the copied selection to fit nicely within the 2.7cm x 3.5 cm aspect ratio.

Bill

Hi,

Part of my job is to crop employees portraits to a specific size and resolution (2.7cm x 3.5 cm at 150 dpi) I do it in one move with the crop tool (in Photoshop) - It is so simple - attached screenshot

I have tried using Infinity photo’s crop tool, but I have to keep using Photoshop.

With each update of Affinity I expect the crop tool’s capabilities to be extended, but it never happens, I have mentioned this on 3 updates, but to no avail. - I was trying to switch from Photoshop to Affinity, but because of this problem, I find myself using Photoshop for nearly all of my work.

Is there any possibility that one day I will be able to do this task simply in Affinity?

David

Hi David, 

The crop tool in Affinity Photo behaves in a similar way. 

Based on how you need to use the crop tool, there seems to be two issues. 

One, you need to make sure the image you are cropping has already been re-sized to 150 ppi. 

Two, an exact decimal point measurement can't be achieved (probably adjusted to exact pixel values): 

post-10932-0-25273600-1449991499_thumb.png

Is this a fair assessment, David? 

Paul. 

One, you need to make sure the image you are cropping has already been re-sized to 150 ppi. 

Two, an exact decimal point measurement can't be achieved (probably adjusted to exact pixel values): 

attachicon.gifcrop.png

Is this a fair assessment, David? 

Paul. 

That entails extra steps, unfortunately, and creates a more convoluted workflow. What is so nice about Photoshop's and Photoline's crop tool is that the ppi and scale are optionally linked, and it is merely a matter of inserting the exact values you need, and then drag a crop marquee in the image - done. You have an exactly measured crop at the precise ppi resolution. There is no thinking involved at all, no extra steps.

As David states, it is reason enough to switch to Photoshop (or Photoline) when this is part of your daily job.

8vn0h1.jpg

Yes,

This simple recurring task has been easy, direct, quick and efficient in Photoshop for many years - a similar direct one-stop solution is needed in affinity.

Probably every user needs it occasionally, and many require it on multiple occasions every day. The crop tool hasn't been thoroughly thought out -

It would be nice if the crop tool was to be redesigned for user comfort and workflow.

So many other features in Affinity are so very advanced and considerate, this should be too.

Hopefully the devs can find a way to improve the crop tool. 

As Photoline does not support Pantone spot colours, I see Affinity as still having more going for it. 

? It does support spot colours - it is just that Pantone's colour libraries are not part of Photoline. If you have an old (or new) design application which includes them, you can convert and import them as a document (spot) colours preset (Swatchbooker).

Or download the Pantone colour library here:

http://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4792&p=35341&hilit=Gro%C3%9Fe_Farbliste_mit_Pantonefarben

Also: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_legally_obtain_spot_colour_palettes_for_use_in_Scribus_1.3.3.x_and_later_versions

Granted, it is more work.