You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the forum @gmlens

From what I've read, you have to unlock lock aspect ratio by clicking on the small chain icon and multiply the length or height by 1.33 depending on whether it's a landscape or a portrait photo by typing *1.33 into either the W: or H: boxes see image for example.

image.png.f1d90ca5fa4224056f193e9aad19dc7d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Wouldn't it be just as easy to use the 4:3 aspect ratio crop preset? Anamorphic is 16:9 or 1.77, and 4:3 is 1.33.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

15 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Wouldn't it be just as easy to use the 4:3 aspect ratio crop preset? Anamorphic is 16:9 or 1.77, and 4:3 is 1.33.

I'd say typing *1.33 is the easiest method to desqueeze an anamorphic image. There are variations of anamorphic lenses and in some cases *2 is required, it depends on the OP's Lens.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Ok, I stand corrected, I was thinking along the lines of increasing the height to match the length without distortion. However if the image is shot using a anamorphic lens, then the multiplication factor should be that of the lens, and 1.33 is common, or 2x.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

41 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Ok, I stand corrected, I was thinking along the lines of increasing the height to match the length without distortion. However if the image is shot using a anamorphic lens, then the multiplication factor should be that of the lens, and 1.33 is common, or 2x.

It kind of goes against the grain of keeping an aspect ratio but using an anamorphic lens can give a great cinematic effect, especially to video's.

• 9 months later...

Okay, this thread does NOT make sense to me at all. There is a problem with the way the UI works on Affinity Photo v2 regarding anamorphic de-squeezing. 

First off, I own a Moment Anamorphic lens for the iPhone 13 Pro and wanted to shoot ProRAW which works, BUT it's not de-squeezed. So I have to import it into Affinity Photo to do it manually. But when I import the DNG file, it goes into Raw editing mode automatically. The instructions in the above posts in this thread do NOT clearly answer the problem because it is 1.33x format. Every time I tried to multiply it on the Transform box, it does NOT look right. 

When I shoot anamorphic in JPEG or TIFF format, it looks exactly how it's supposed to be de-squeezed, but it won't do it in RAW or ProRAW format. I do see Photo has a 16:9 : 1 crop option but that's NOT the solution which CROPS and does not 'transform'. Why does the transform tool NOT exist in the RAW editor but only in the main application? 

On 3/17/2022 at 3:33 AM, firstdefence said:

I'd say typing *1.33 is the easiest method to desqueeze an anamorphic image. There are variations of anamorphic lenses and in some cases *2 is required, it depends on the OP's Lens.

Wait. Do we have to add the multiply * symbol before the 1.33 value or after it in the X and Y fields or just one of them? 

5 hours ago, Ozymandias1972 said:

Wait. Do we have to add the multiply * symbol before the 1.33 value or after it in the X and Y fields or just one of them? 

Normally the factor *1.33 is placed in the „width“ field of the transform panel. And of course you need to unlock the aspect ratio (chain symbol).

https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/expressions.html

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

7 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Normally the factor *1.33 is placed in the „width“ field of the transform panel. And of course you need to unlock the aspect ratio (chain symbol).

https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/expressions.html

Okay. It looks like I do have the click/select on the layer of the image itself to use the transform panel or document re-size. But the RAW anamorphic image looks stretched out originally and not de-squeezed via the Moment camera app ( JPEG and TIFF de-squeezes automatically so no need to manually do it ). When I import the RAW image, it always goes to the editor for 'processing' before using the full Affinity Photo workspace. You can't access the transform or re-size document during the processing phase and available AFTER you process the DNG/RAW images. 

Also, if you transform or de-squeeze the image to proper anamorphic width and length, the canvas size is unaffected which means you have to change that as well or increase the canvas size for the de-squeezed image to fit in. And there's the little square icon with 9 or 10 pegs on it in the transform tool and I think you have to select where the transform should be at? At center? Upper left corner? 

There needs to be a better way for Affinity to make it easier to do anamorphic processing for still photos or at least detect it. I'm surprised the Moment lens is not 'detected' by this app let alone other camera lens such as Nikon, Fuji, Apple, etc. 

I'll see what I can do, though.

If you search the forum for „anamorphic“, you will find older posts and a feature request. You should add your vote there to increase chances.

Another topic to consider: PAR / Pixel Aspect Ratio. Some users would prefer PAR over (automated) transforming which may impact image quality (both unavailable as of  V2.0.3)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 10:59 AM, NotMyFault said:

If you search the forum for „anamorphic“, you will find older posts and a feature request. You should add your vote there to increase chances.

Another topic to consider: PAR / Pixel Aspect Ratio. Some users would prefer PAR over (automated) transforming which may impact image quality (both unavailable as of  V2.0.3)

Just got around to this message. Are you stating that PAR isn't available on Affinity 2.0 but was on 1.0? Otherwise, I'll have to manually 'de-squeeze' the photograph. My question would be is do I click on the image layer or the canvas itself? It seems that if you are going to change the ratio, then the document size or canvas has to change to? 

Just wondering.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:59 AM, NotMyFault said:

Nevermind actually. I finally figured it out as I had to manually select the image, go to document resize and multiply 1.33 or 1.77 ( the latter for a bit more stretched out 2:1 appearance ) while unlocking aspect ratio. It works now. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally another update. I managed to figure it out after overlooking the 'crop' custom menu. It turns out the 2.39:1 anamorphic ratio is exactly what I was looking for instead of 2:1. Because it models exactly after the 1.33 anamorphic lens I have from Moment when shooting RAW which has to be edited manually. In short, I have to manually crop  the RAW version while the JPEG/TIFF images are automatically 'de-squeezed' on the Moment app instead of RAW. 

It's all good now! The image below is a screenshot showing the menu boxed in red as this was a test shot in Middlebury, Vermont. image.thumb.png.a16ed089fa8435b64d6faac6e55473a9.png