You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

anti aliasing not working as expected with partially transparent brushes

Hi,

this potential bug is mainly academic and in no way urgent, maybe more a clarification questions. I can live with not getting a fix or "by design" answer.

I made a brush with transparent parts (3 parallel lines in white, grey, black with transparent gap between). I noticed that there is a lot of anti-aliasing going on. Tried to deactivate AA, and got 2 issues:

1. You can't deactivate AA fully. It seems there are 2 levels of AA: one (brush level) which can't be deactivated, and one additional (layer level, blend ranges) only targeting the outer edge of the stroke, but not any inner edges (between coloured and transparent areas). 

In this case with "inner" transparency, this leads to inconsistent AA of the edges.

This is most obvious in the upper and lower edge of the black brush stroke right of the blend options UI.

2. Is there a way to deactivate AA for vector brushes (not on layer level, but on brush level)?

2. The outer edge (which has already some brush AA, and gets additional layer blend AA) gets effectively thinned, reducing the stroke width by  about 1/2 to 1/1 pixel width.

1184404543_Screenshot2022-03-16at21_27_25.thumb.png.67cabdb97ff27d39ac8f085e563b9f01.png

AA not working inside brush stroke.afdesign _NMF_Brush Lines.aftemplate

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Another observation: the rendering of the curve end changes if I move the start node so that both become adjacent or overlap

This looks strange as the end cap could get interrupted (a portion between the cap and the end node gets transparent, red circle)

1151581898_Screenshot2022-03-16at21_46_27.thumb.png.44a14f97ff97fa3ba9a1b634002cc9c2.png

Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 21.44.01.png

Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 21.44.25.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The vector brushes don't have an option to turn off the anti-aliasing, it may be worth posting the suggestion in Feature Requests section.

In reference to the custom brush node ends, it's not something I can replicate at the moment using your files but will continue to test and log if needed. I take it you don't have Metal compute enabled just to rule out any screen rendering issues?

Maybe we are on something.

If brushes have forced AA, and Layer by default add additional AA at the outer edgde, how does this combine/interfere?
Does it affect text, curves or vector shapes with basic brush, too?