You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assets for Parallel Lines Vector Brush Pencil Tool

NotMyFault

Hi,

inspired by a thread asking for a way to create parallel vector curves with different colors, I created some assets which can simplify your live. Intended to Designer / Vector Brushes. Photo lacks the UI to utilize these brushes (e.g. Pencil tool).

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/59857-multiple-curves-in-one-stroke/&tab=comments#comment-900033

1. Brushes with 2, 3, 4, 5 parallel lines and a transparent gap between them

2. A gradient Map to re-color greyscale brush to any color

3. Styles to assign the brushes to curves

4. An aftemplate document as starting place to experiment at your own.

I have some secret sauce (not published) to create brushes with any number of color lines (air gapped) really fast. So if you need 15 or 100 parallel lines from one curve, just ask.

678326379_Screenshot2022-03-16at20_52_02.thumb.png.30fad584ccb84bbcb176dc8885f0b235.png

_NMF_Brush Lines.aftemplate _NMR Styles for Brush Lines.afstyles _NMF Gradient for Brush Lines.afassets _NMF Brush Lines.afbrushes

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Help! These looke super useful. However, I download and save _NMFBrush Lines.afbushes. in my AF Photo go to brushes / import brushes...imported succesfully .....but I cant find them anywhere. Where are they hiding? or what am I doing wrong?☹️

37 minutes ago, jeffers said:

Help! These looke super useful. However, I download and save _NMFBrush Lines.afbushes. in my AF Photo go to brushes / import brushes...imported succesfully .....but I cant find them anywhere. Where are they hiding? or what am I doing wrong?☹️

I think, your fault was that you installed it to Photo, not to Designer. Seems like those are Designer brushes (vector). But the styles and assets should work in Photo too, I think.

2 hours ago, jeffers said:

I can create pixel brush versions for APh, but there would be a bit less versatile. It does not follow the stroke direction, wouldn't give the same effect as Designer.

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Here is the secret sauce: A PT filter with 2 input values:

a - number of stripes incl. gaps, minus 1

b - pixel size (height)

It creates stripes of grey:

• 2: 2 stripes + 1 gap, 0 and 255
  • 4: 3 stripes + 2 gaps, 0, 127, 255
  • 6: 4 stripes + 3 gaps, 0, 85, 170, 255

If you want the stripes of same width (pixels), you need to increase the canvas size / rectangle size and input value b.

If you don't want the transparent gap, deactivate the alpha formula by clicking on "A" once in the PT filter UI. You will get n+1 levels of grey without any gap between stripes.924746446_Screenshot2022-03-17at16_00_31.thumb.png.9b1f4d00a857568a13f29d1536684fa2.pngGenerate PNG for Brush air gapped stripes.afphoto