You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported pdf doesn't contain bold

Hi,

I exported pdf containing Work Sans font - pretty basic. When I exported it, everything that was bold in Affinity was regular in the pdf. I recently switched to Mac from Windows and it's the first time I had this issue. Can somebody help? I use this font a lot. 

Thanks

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

What application did you use to view the PDF file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, Hens said:

It maybe a variable font version and affinity doesn't support variable fonts

In that case, though, the bold would not show in the original Affinity document, either.

(But also, even if it did show in Affinity, it would not show in the PDF because PDF doesn't support variable fonts, either.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 minutes ago, Hens said:

And a free version

Work Sans is released under the SIL Open Font License (OFL), so all versions are free!

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/license/work-sans

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

53 minutes ago, Hens said:

Which work sans font?
Adobe has one here https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/work-sans
So does google https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Work+Sans
And a free version https://www.1001freefonts.com/work-sans.font
It maybe a variable font version and affinity doesn't support variable fonts

I used the Google one. Is there a difference?

38 minutes ago, Hens said:

Just pointing out that there are more versions around.

Understood. It would be helpful if they all displayed the version number prominently, so that we would see at a glance whether there’s a newer version than the one we have installed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 minutes ago, pavelchod said:

Is there a way to download it NOT as a variable font? 

Probably depends on where you download it from. From Google, for example, you usually get both in the downloaded file, which includes a folder named Static.

But if you can see bold in the Affinity application I don't think that's your problem.

Can you show us a screenshot of your Affinity document and off the font pulldown that shows the font names?

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks. That's not a Variable font.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, pavelchod said:

It probably is.

The one in your screenshot just above isn't, based on all my experience with the Affinity applications so far. If it were Variable then you would not see the different style names (all names would be the same) and you would not see the styles demonstrated as they are in that list.

Was that screenshot perhaps after the font replacement?

-- Walt
PC:

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Was that screenshot perhaps after the font replacement?

No, before. But here is the screenshot after. Notice the order of the types. In the first screenshot it was really random. But when I installed it one by one as static font types, it looks much more organized. 

screenshot_2.png

On 3/16/2022 at 10:09 AM, pavelchod said:

No, before. But here is the screenshot after. Notice the order of the types. In the first screenshot it was really random. But when I installed it one by one as static font types, it looks much more organized. 

You may have had both the static fonts and the variable fonts installed - which is really going to confuse things and perhaps result in the odd font menu order you had.

Google Fonts requires that the instances in the variable fonts (Regular, Bold, etc.) be named exactly the same as the static fonts. That way if you are looking at a web page using Open Sans (which is going to be the variable font) and you have the static fonts installed locally, your browser will use the local fonts and there will be no web font download needed (so it is faster and less traffic).

The downside is that you cannot have both installed locally because of the name conflicts. Some designers make a separate VF font, such as Open Sans VF, and because the family name is different you can install both without conflicts.