Sign in to follow this  
tokai

Privacy Bug: Network Request During Launch of Photo

Each time I launch Affinity Photo (1.4 from App Store) it seems to do a network request in the background to "s3-1.amazonaws.com" over port 443 (https).

I don't think this is necessary (at least I don't see a reason), I also didn't find an option to disable this behaviour.

Note: I do not show the "Welcome" screen during launch (so there's no reason to fetch example graphic files either)

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

Hi,

The network connection is because Photo will download an updated list of compatible PS plugins each time it starts up - and the file is hosted on Amazon S3.

No personal information is sent - in fact nothing is sent other than the HTTP GET request for the file.

I agree though - there should be an option for it..

Thanks,

Andy.

I see, thanks for the information.  :)

My suggestion:

•  If user has no Photoshop plugins configured, don't do a network request at all
  •  When user configures Photoshop plugins for the first time (adds a folder in the settings or something), offer him/her an opt-in and inform him transparently (inkl. short notice about what info is sent over the network/ aka privacy notice) about the possibility of auto-updates of the plugin compatibility list (option probably could be combined with the "Allow 'Unknown' plugins to be used" option, I guess)
  •  If users has opted in, only do additional network requests when the user makes further changes (e.g. versions of plugins in the configured folders change or new plugins get added)

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot