You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you work with project files on Ipad?

Hello, this is more of a ramble then a real question. Due to some strange reason, my AD app on Ipad used around 11GB of storage, so I decided to reinstall in order to free up space. But since I'm new to Ipad and Apple eco system, I didn't know that it would delete entire folder dedicated to Affinity Designer. So how do you manage project files? I can't keep everything on Icloud. Edit: another question, why AD doesn't have the option to import/open from file?

• Staff
3 hours ago, Mandu said:

I didn't know that it would delete entire folder dedicated to Affinity Designer. So how do you manage project files?

I've seen other users on the forum mention the app Documents by readdle for file organisation. If you create a different folder on your iPad which is not the 'Affinity Designer' folder created by the app, then this will be retained, should you need to delete the app again in the future.

3 hours ago, Mandu said:

another question, why AD doesn't have the option to import/open from file?

Although a little counter intuitive, selecting the import/open from Cloud option in the new file dialog will allow you to navigate to a local folder on your iPad, as well as a cloud folder, so please use these options for this :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

4 hours ago, Mandu said:

Hello, this is more of a ramble then a real question. Due to some strange reason, my AD app on Ipad used around 11GB of storage, so I decided to reinstall in order to free up space. But since I'm new to Ipad and Apple eco system, I didn't know that it would delete entire folder dedicated to Affinity Designer. So how do you manage project files? I can't keep everything on Icloud. Edit: another question, why AD doesn't have the option to import/open from file?

I use the native Files app (for both iCloud and local files), because “documents by riddle” lacks preview for Affinity saved projects by over a year, so despite being superior for file management to Files, it’s of no use to me (this is not a new issue; has been like this for years).

I never use the dedicated Affinity folder. I save from inside the file I work on — “documents”, “save as” — to a local folder (which I backup in iClouds later — I don’t use files directly from iCloud because if they’re large I always have to wait for the files to “download” and become available, which is time consuming.

All the best!

6BB4AE37-8826-4100-94B3-97ACE65F0B9E.jpeg

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

9 hours ago, Away79 said:

I use the native Files app (for both iCloud and local files), because “documents by riddle” lacks preview for Affinity saved projects by over a year, so despite being superior for file management to Files, it’s of no use to me (this is not a new issue; has been like this for years).

Really??

8DA70240-1574-4362-937A-F6D576EBBFE3.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Really??

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s because you are using Documents through the native Files app, which shows the previews correctly but comes with its own ‘shortages’: you cannot erase the files stored in Documents, and overall you have limited management control.

But if you can share a screenshot within Documents itself, and the previews are still in place, I take it all back of course🙂

Edited by Away79
Removed the pictures

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

1 hour ago, Away79 said:

but I think that’s because you are using Documents through the native Files app

True, Documents is accessing Files connection, that’s correct, but it IS showing previews. 🙂

I not sure why the Documents viewer doesn’t show them natively. Have you contacted the developers. I find them very responsive. I might put a request to them asking for native viewing and see what they say.🙂

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

42 minutes ago, DM1 said:

True, Documents is accessing Files connection, that’s correct, but it IS showing previews. 🙂

I not sure why the Documents viewer doesn’t show them natively. Have you contacted the developers. I find them very responsive. I might put a request to them asking for native viewing and see what they say.🙂

Of course it shows the previews, as you said, you see them through the Files app 🙂. Files app is mirroring every supported file and render them ‘natively’, but if the files are not stored in Files you can’t move, erase, modify them etc; they’re simple images to preview. So why would I want to put Affinity files in Documents if I had to use Files to see the previews, when I can simply use the Files app? Hence, I’m using the Files app.

I didn’t contact the devs personally but a year ago I’ve ‘researched’ a little and I think they said to someone that it wasn’t their fault. But the Files app is not as bad as people make it out to be. I’m using it daily by so much time that its shortcomings don’t bother me anymore. (The only thing I use Documents for are containers such as 7z or rar, which are not supported by Files)

edit — I misread the part where you said you want to ask the devs. If you have the time — Please do!

Edited by Away79
Spelling

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

9 hours ago, Away79 said:

edit — I misread the part where you said you want to ask the devs. If you have the time — Please do!

I have raised a request so hopefully they will do something to improve the Documents app.🙂