You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can we please get a feature to save TIFF as TIF?

I like to work with Capture One.

When I export as a TIF so as to edit the RAWs in Affinity Photo, Capture One saves as a .TIF file. 

However Affinity Photo for some reason wants to lock in .TIFF as a save which then Capture One will think is a brand new photo, not the original one being edited. 

This makes the roundhouse workflow between C1 and Affinity Photo pretty awful in that regard.

Since TIF and TIFF are obviously the same thing, can we please have an option in Affinity Photo to save as .TIF files instead of forced to be using .TIFF? 

On 3/15/2022 at 9:18 PM, fde101 said:

In the meantime, I would suggest that you export from C1 as a PSD instead of as a TIFF to handle the round-trip between the two programs.

Actually, PSD is not an option with Affinity Photo as you can't save them directly. Only export which is a PIA. 

TIF is great because you command/control s and it's saved, much quicker when working with lots of files

53 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Go into Preferences within Affinity Photo and make sure the Enable "Save" over imported PSD files option is checked.

That option applies only if you initially Opened a PSD file, of course.

Additionally, it is an unsafe option, as it will allow you to overwrite a PSD which had editable Text layers with a version that has had all the Text layers rasterized. (And there are other PSD functions not handled by Affinity, which will also be destroyed if you save the file over itself.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That option applies only if you initially Opened a PSD file, of course.

Additionally, it is an unsafe option, as it will allow you to overwrite a PSD which had editable Text layers with a version that has had all the Text layers rasterized. (And there are other PSD functions not handled by Affinity, which will also be destroyed if you save the file over itself.)

True, but in this case the OP is round-tripping between Capture One and Affinity Photo, which is exactly the situation that feature was designed for.  Capture One is no more likely to produce a PSD file with those functions than is Affinity Photo.

That said, it is a fair point that any text which may be added in Affinity Photo becomes rasterized in the PSD (C1 can't add text to the photo so it wouldn't be coming from there).

I just tested to see if TIFF also did this, and I found that when I opened a TIFF from C1 in AP, it not only allowed me to save over the existing TIFF (and did in fact keep the .tif extension causing me to question the original request as it seems to work just fine already?  Maybe this is a Mac vs. Windows thing - it works fine already on the Mac but the Windows version is changing it to .tiff upon save?) but also gave me the option to save with the Affinity layers intact in the TIFF, which does preserve the text as editable, an option which is not provided for PSD.

• 3 months later...

when round-tripping from C1:

if you open a .tif and cmd-s you can overwrite it with the .tif  extension. 

if you save your .tif file as an .afphoto so that you have the opportunity to adjust your adjustments later, AP will not allow you to export it to the original .tif file and insists that it now has to be a .tiff file.

I for one would greatly appreciate it if AP left the file naming to me and did not enforce it's opinions on naming conventions.

50 minutes ago, charlie said:

I for one would greatly appreciate it if AP left the file naming to me and did not enforce it's opinions on naming conventions.

As GarryP said above: "When you export, have you tried removing the extra “f” from the filename before you press the Save button?"

(I do find it a bit odd that in the export dialogue it has an option of "JPEG", but actually adds the extension as "JPG". As a three character extension is much more common than four, I wonder why "TIF" isn't the default, with the option to add an extra "F" if you want it?) 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 7/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, PaulEC said:

As GarryP said above: "When you export, have you tried removing the extra “f” from the filename before you press the Save button?"

every time when I am round-tripping from C1 after a AP update, I try this again, forever hoping that they have finally decided that I am mature enough to choose my own extension convention.

so far not luck,  but maybe with with the next update. 

I hope that this is not taken the wrong way,  AP is an amazing piece of software, which makes these jarring moments seem much worse.

15 hours ago, Customer Feedback said:

Serif? Is it a macOS thing? Photoshop on macOS saves happily with .TIF

I've never seen this on Windows, so maybe it is just a mac thing!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I've never seen this on Windows, so maybe it is just a mac thing!

Under Windows, you can save with TIF or TIFF. 

I'm not sure it's macOS that's the root cause. Safari and Chrome for macOS, for example, will save images with the .jpeg extension without user intervention, but if you specify .jpg in the filename, it is used instead without problems. And the same macOS file dialog is used, as far as I can see.

I have not in other applications in macOS seen this dialog with forced extension, so Serif must be involved. But it may be because of integration with macOS image library that Serif shows this silly dialog. But it must simply be for iPad OS/iOS. 
Photoshop and other applications save fine as TIF.

I have the feeling that we are here facing a combination of macOS primitive and patronizing dialog box and Serif's own weird extension handling. I've grown fonder of macOS over time, but much functionality is simply more usable and flexible in Windows. The Open and Save dialogs in particular.

Broadly speaking, Windows is made for business users and macOS for home users, users Apple tries to shield against complexity in too many places without providing an alternative for e.g. business users.

In a professional context, we need more flexibility and confidence. But we need and want M1.