You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush On Mask Very Laggy In Affinity Photo

My brush always lags VERY much when I'm painting on a mask. 

In the silent video below, I first do it with the mask in black-and-white so you can see, and then do it without the mask visible. 

You can see my brush-cursor move off the photo when I have stopped brushing ... yet you will plainly see the brush continues even though I have stopped brushing. 

This happens all the time, and usually if I try to save after it can take up to a minute. 

I have purposely turned off all other layers in this example and only left the dodge and burn group on, which are the layers I'm brushing on. And, yes, I know I have a few layers of dodging and burning, but this lag in the brush happens even with one layer. 

Also, I'm adding a screen shot of my Mac's specs, and my Affinity preferences ... and I'm on the latest update for Photo. 

Any help would be great. Thanks. 

752788099_ScreenShot2022-03-14at4_56_40PM.png.ce709ebd9793227e489a4056eb04a6d3.png1481911328_ScreenShot2022-03-14at4_56_49PM.png.c5cc34c8b6b213359bdb650ea95d2b88.png

• Staff

Hi @Doren Sorell,

Could you try changing your View Quality setting to 'Nearest Neighbour (Fastest) and the Display to 'OpenGL (Basic)' in Preferences > Performance to see if this makes any improvement to the brush on speed?

Could you also send over the file you're having an issue with as an attachment or alternatively to the below private dropbox link? I'll see if this issue can be replicated.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/KAWZM586EHgj4ZbC6i4l

Thanks,

N

Hi @NathanC

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. 

The weridest thing is that I cannot change it from Bilinear to "Nearest Neighbor (Fastest)". When I try and close and reopen the app, it's back to Bilinear. Very strange. 

And changing it to OpenGL (Basic) doesn't change a thing. 

I'm sending you that file but also another file, one I just made, that's much more simple, and it's doing the exact same thing. I uploaded the screenshot of the two files I've sent for your reference. 

By the way, it's also doing the exact same thing with the most recent update, which I updated to today. 

Let me know, and thank you,

D

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 1.14.16 PM.png

8 hours ago, NathanC said:

... i would advise increasing the 'Spacing' setting on the first tab to 3/4% and trying again.

Do you really mean 3/4 of one percent, or to 3 or 4 percent? From the screenshot Spacing was originally 1% so I assume you are suggesting increasing it to a larger percentage value.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Do you really mean 3/4 of one percent, or to 3 or 4 percent? From the screenshot Spacing was originally 1% so I assume you are suggesting increasing it to a larger percentage value.

He means over 1% (3% or 4%). And he's right; it fixed it. :)