You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

some visible hairline that irritate

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Yes it still is, so annoying... So what I do (clumsy way) is duplicate (actually triplicate) the object within or on intersection to make the line disappears. This could be fine for some situations, but for other is still makes multiple instances of the same shape which may cause mess when trying to modify the shape(s) in any way... Exporting in formats that needs to be used in production, print, post processing and so on may also be a problem...

• 1 month later...

The new update is out but it's still not fixed, this is really sad... The new isometric tools make AD perfect for working with isometric images, yet at the same time this bug makes it really difficult to work on them. I need my shapes to be perfect, and at the same time I want to be efficient and now i can't. 

I tried to use the solution to duplicate and merge the shape and place it underneath, but despite my lines being aligned perfectly (using point alignment tool) it still produces weird results! Yes it does make the white lines invisible, but why doesn't it make a nice clean shape instead of this? I'm attaching a file, could you check if this is a bug or I did something wrong? It's not the first time it happens to me. It looks to me like these 2 issueas are related.

image.png.78f96783b4fbc21539fb6a070423976f.png

symbols_iso.afdesign

• 2 months later...

image.thumb.png.17e637356d794274f5c4b852ad18c345.png

It is even worse, when there is a line between an outline and a fill in same object. I think that maybe old print trick called "bleed" should do the trick.
Can you just add small additional thickness to rendered shapes to make them maybe not mathematically correct, but displayed properly? I very rarely try to give hints to developers, but Affinity rendering is so pleasing and have this one HUGE, I mean HUGE caveat. And like others point it out it is not like every other software have it.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I created an account just to comment on this problem. I was blown away with Affinity Designer after discovering it recently -- it is the first serious contender to Illustrator that I have come across, and is a lot better than Illustrator in many ways. That excitement led to extreme disappointment when I ran into this problem and a bit of googling revealed that it is a known, longstanding issue. 

Here is another example using the AMAZING new isometric tools, exported from Affinity Designer as a PNG:

TESTAFINITYDESIGNER.thumb.png.a41d6b00dd675724728ab8736a12a145.png

Here is the same group of objects after importing the file into Illustrator and then exporting it as a PNG:

TESTADOBEILLUSTRATOR.thumb.png.c1779a9a847e73c45d7adcff1138c8e8.png

So I guess the workaround is create an image in Affinity Designer, export it to Illustrator, and then use their PNG exporter to fix Affinity's mistakes?

This is a very sad problem for such an awesome vector program to have. Your users shouldn't have to add outlines, make clones of images, or suffer through any other convoluted workarounds to mitigate a problem that clearly other programs figured out a long time ago. The whole point of vector illustration is to empower artists to create clean and elegant art; having to add in unwanted outlines or extra clones of objects to hide these hairlines defeats the purpose. If this was a problem the developer was actively working on, then great, and apologies for harping on the issue. But obviously that's not the case given their past comments and how long it's been an issue. I hope the team actually treats this like a top priority and figures out a fix soon. It really is one of the only issues holding it back from being a mainstream alternative to Illustrator for everyone who is sick of Adobe's crap.

• Staff

Hi Adam Ratai, mosjef,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
What you are seeing is the background colour bleeding through the edges of the shapes due to the antialiasing and it's a side effect of how Affinity renders objects on screen. Please see my reply on this thread for a few ways to deal with it. They may not work in all cases but hopefully should help to fix a few.

Hi MEB,

I appreciate the workaround, but I think everyone's point is that there shouldn't have to be a workaround. The coverage map trick you explain in that thread does indeed get rid of the hairlines between objects, but it also makes the edges look pixelated if they aren't up against other objects. So sure, we could go in and try to tweak the coverage maps for all the individual objects and try to find a decent middle ground, or create extra shapes of the same color underneath them, but we are still fixing a flaw that shouldn't be there in the first place, and isn't there in other vector programs. The fact that the easiest workaround solution is to export the vector file and bring it in to Illustrator because it figured out this issue long ago should be very concerning to the developers. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/17/2019 at 11:49 PM, mosjef said:

I appreciate the workaround, but I think everyone's point is that there shouldn't have to be a workaround. The coverage map trick you explain in that thread does indeed get rid of the hairlines between objects, but it also makes the edges look pixelated if they aren't up against other objects. So sure, we could go in and try to tweak the coverage maps for all the individual objects and try to find a decent middle ground, or create extra shapes of the same color underneath them, but we are still fixing a flaw that shouldn't be there in the first place, and isn't there in other vector programs. The fact that the easiest workaround solution is to export the vector file and bring it in to Illustrator because it figured out this issue long ago should be very concerning to the developers. 

A permanent fix should be prioritized. The need for so many workarounds or professional tools to finish/deliver an output file is depressing. The hairline is especially annoying because it is such a visible artifact.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, iconoclast said:

This seems to be an issue caused by the pixels Designer displays a zoomed graphic not fitting to the pixels of the screen. If I set to zoom factor 100%, the hairline dissappears.

Display vs exporting is something different. Export is more important, but both should work.

Just now, Xairoo said:

Display vs exporting is something different. Export is more important, but both should work.

Of course. But I thought that I read somewhere in this thread, that the problem doesn't exist in exported images. Haven't tried it yet.

• 1 month later...

Long time i thought it would be my own faulty operation or lack of understanding...
Now i see it's a long time bug of the program. One of the most essential functions of a graphics program doesn't work. And even worse the core team knows about it and can't solve what obviously works with competing apps. This is what i call a big fail. Without words...
Time to consider alternatives. I'm really annoyed! 😡

Sorry for the rant...couldn't resist