You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

some visible hairline that irritate

Yes, I get the View tool too, but the snapping lines are turned off as well.
Press H again and the last tool and snapping lines are back.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

You will get this hairline in any vector program to a greater or lesser extent whenever two edges are exactly the same value... It's a side-effect of the way the rasterisation routine works... There are ways to reduce the effect, but to solve it completely really needs a different approach to the rasterisation (that nobody uses because it provides worse results in other cases). The effects will change based on the exact zoom level and position of the objects on a sub-pixel, but they will always be there. The easiest way to get rid of these is simply to extend objects to overlap in ways that don't matter, and to overlap and 'Add' objects of the same colour to form one object from two that used to butt up to each other. You could also try using the advanced blending options (the cog on the Layers panel) with your objects selected and adjust the antialiasing ramp to include more of the pixels.

We will continue to try to improve this over time, but it is an inherent problem with any vector drawing program (although some do deliberately distort the values you asked for in order to reduce the appearance of this effect, so they seem to be working better - although you can make them fail if you know how...)

Thanks,

Matt

• 11 months later...

Hey guys,

I was pointed here by MEB from another thread about this effect. Adobe Illustrator really has this figured out, see below for comparison.

I think Affinity should move in this direction too, even simple work becomes challenging if you have to deal with these hairline fractures. Every drawing needs a labor-intensive extra step to be production-ready (my current workaround is duplicating offending objects a few times, works well unless there is transparency involved), and once you add all the extra objects you lose ease of editing.

Below is what it looks like in Ai

post-35852-0-83175000-1479914322_thumb.png

Of course, I have no idea how your anti-aliasing rasterization works, but my guess is you have to make some kind of a special case for edge overlap? Or maybe do rasterization on whole image instead of layer-per-layer basis? Or run some extra post-processing to make sure total alpha = 1 for every pixel?

Hope this gets some love in future versions!

Disclaimer: I like AD and respect its creators. I only criticize it because I want to make it better.

• 2 months later...

I was creating and working with vectors in Adobe Fireworks (!!) and some Inkscape (free) and I found no trace of this problem before I switched to Affinity Designer. However I found more issues I never faced before in any vector software.

1) the stroke inside setting within a filled path leaves visible background fill color visible as a thin line on the outer edge of the stroke (or path, or object).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm4roklhr6nezee/Affinity%20Designer%20stroke%20inside%20fill%20outline%20visible.PNG?dl=0

2) Another problem is Affinity D only because of nested/masking paths feature is possible within AD only. The thin white line (this one is always white no matter of the BG fill color or if the stroke even exists) is visible when child (nested) path is placed over the edge of the parent path so the child path is partially masked behind the edge of the parent path. The white edge is visible where child and parent paths are "touching" or crossing over each other. So this is a serious rendering problem - obviously not edge near edge related as this is path crossing / overlapping edge -  that affects the work and on large projects there are no easy or quick fixes for this as it becomes a designers nightmare.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzm0958i0epq2gi/20170215%20Affinity%20Designer%20object%20borders%20visible.PNG?dl=0

I would like to confirm that duplicating the same object on top does seem to fix this issue temporarily, which confirms it being an anti-aliasing issue.

Adding a thin inside stroke of 0.1 or 0.2 pixels of the same color as the shape seems to be a workaround as well.

Hopefully a real solution can be found, but I'm sure it is no easy fix.

I found new annoyances, within Pixel Persona and with raster image. If you select one part of the raster image, perform a cut & paste (without moving anything from it's original position) you will end up with a same subpixel hair thin line showing the cut which stays visible on the final export file. Duplicating the object(s) doesn't help here.

post-39813-0-51547800-1487582417_thumb.png

I am currently using the Windows version, does this also happen on the Mac version?

I'm using a Retina display iMac. If I add an internal stroke of greater than .24 pt, which corresponds to 1 screen pixel, the line disappears to my eyes until I'm zoomed in to about 3000%. And then what appears is an intermitant grey streak, not a continuous line. I don't have a printer at present, but I have to think that one would need to use a magnifying glass to see anything on paper output.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 weeks later...

I produce digital content for web, so a per pixel precision is a must.

I won't go into all the nonsense of moving and creating objects ending with subzero values (size and position) no matter the "force pixel alignment" and other tools checked, in addition to all above, after exporting (creating slice from some object within artboard placed on some colored background) I got those subpixel thin hairlines visible!!! On the end product?!?! Visible on 1:1

So I just end up with sending to my client this BS (attached) as a solution - unfortunately I noticed the exporting error too late. Check the thin blue right and bottom border that should not be there. Slice size exactly matching the object size.

Why should we not consider this as a bug that needs ASAP fix please?

post-39813-0-79805500-1489015310_thumb.png

• 10 months later...
On 2015/12/14 at 4:57 AM, MattP said:

You will get this hairline in any vector program to a greater or lesser extent whenever two edges are exactly the same value... It's a side-effect of the way the rasterisation routine works... There are ways to reduce the effect, but to solve it completely really needs a different approach to the rasterisation (that nobody uses because it provides worse results in other cases). The effects will change based on the exact zoom level and position of the objects on a sub-pixel, but they will always be there. The easiest way to get rid of these is simply to extend objects to overlap in ways that don't matter, and to overlap and 'Add' objects of the same colour to form one object from two that used to butt up to each other. You could also try using the advanced blending options (the cog on the Layers panel) with your objects selected and adjust the antialiasing ramp to include more of the pixels.

We will continue to try to improve this over time, but it is an inherent problem with any vector drawing program (although some do deliberately distort the values you asked for in order to reduce the appearance of this effect, so they seem to be working better - although you can make them fail if you know how...)

Thanks,

Matt

Now, in Jan. 12 2018, I'm still annoyed by the pixel gap, hoping it can be wiped out.

I did a test to compare AD and AI . I drawed two shapes that fit together in AI. No gap was produced. Then I created two same shapes in AD, the gap showed up.

AI does well dealing with the gap. Can we draw on its solution?

5a58b49537770_ai2018-1-12-180541.jpg.443e90dca5af579c205df83ac71f63c8.jpg5a58b49ac4f70_AD2018-1-12-180624.jpg.0a4c0e4461fa2dc124bbf14f76b23c11.jpg

• 3 months later...

Yes, guys. Please, this issue has been such a nuisance since forever. It is impossible to work with the material that has to be imported (AI or EPS). Each time I need to do something about it I have to uncover my wife's old PC where she still has CS6 installed to export those graphics as raster images or if there are no transparencies I duplicate the layers a couple of times which is so not cool and a complete work around rathe than solution. It would be such a relieve if either @MEB or somebody else could just say if there is any possibility this issue might get solved soon. Or at least maybe there is some adjustment we can tinker with to solve it.

The AI version of that shape looks softer, so they are probably applying some antialiasing or something like that to eliminate the perceived gap, Affinitys shape looks much sharper

On 12/01/2018 at 1:14 PM, seabirdr said:

Now, in Jan. 12 2018, I'm still annoyed by the pixel gap, hoping it can be wiped out.

I did a test to compare AD and AI . I drawed two shapes that fit together in AI. No gap was produced. Then I created two same shapes in AD, the gap showed up.

AI does well dealing with the gap. Can we draw on its solution?

5a58b49537770_ai2018-1-12-180541.jpg.443e90dca5af579c205df83ac71f63c8.jpg5a58b49ac4f70_AD2018-1-12-180624.jpg.0a4c0e4461fa2dc124bbf14f76b23c11.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I had exactly the same problem and posted a few weekends ago about it. I got a very nice solution from Owenr which worked out greatly for me.

This is the solution which worked out for me :

Switch on "Force Pixel Alignment" and make sure "Move by whole pixel" is off (disabled).

The annoying white line disappeared. Mostly my lines are aligned "inside" to the object boundaries. Despite the white line WAS visible in Affinity Designer, I found out that when I placed it in Construct 3 (game creation development tool) as a sprite, it was no longer visible.

Before the solution I received, using a Wacom Tablet or the touchpad on the laptop, did not make any difference. For a long time I was thinking that I did something wrong or my drawing was not accurate enough.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again to Owenr because without his advice, I would have been stuck.

Chris

• Staff

Hi nik_sol,

This is an issue that the development team is already aware. It's have been quite discussed on other threads too and it's not something easy to solve. The latest information i have is that we will look into it and will try to find a way to minimise the effect but for now there's no immediate plans to make changes here. Please see TonyB post here for details.

Hi Bad_Wolf,

These options/settings will only work for perfectly vertical or horizontal lines. Diagonals and curves will still display this issue.