You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Develop persona vs. Photo persona

Greetings, 

I normally develop and retouch my RAW images in the Develop Persona but I wonder if it would be more practical to use the Photo Persona for retouches using a brush. I don't want to lose any information that I can get back to if I click the "develop" button.

The Develop Persona can't save the file unless I develop first, it also can't assign keyboard shortcuts to the tools. The Photo persona makes more sense but as far as I know once I click "develop" I'm losing the RAW file information.

1 hour ago, Caliente said:

The Develop Persona can't save the file unless I develop first, it also can't assign keyboard shortcuts to the tools.

You should be able to assign shortcuts to the tools available in the Develop Persona if you set the first popup in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts to "Develop" & the second one to "Tools."

On my Mac, this is a bit flakey because it shows all the tools, not just those available in the  Develop Persona, but it works OK for the 9 tools that persona provides.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Caliente said:

Greetings, 

I normally develop and retouch my RAW images in the Develop Persona but I wonder if it would be more practical to use the Photo Persona for retouches using a brush. I don't want to lose any information that I can get back to if I click the "develop" button.

The Develop Persona can't save the file unless I develop first, it also can't assign keyboard shortcuts to the tools. The Photo persona makes more sense but as far as I know once I click "develop" I'm losing the RAW file information.

Hi,

using Photo Persona is best practice, you will not loose anything.

You can do almost all edits in an non-destructive way. 
Develop Persona is required to convert the RAW image data into a regular RGB pixel layer. 
Only the absolut minimum must be done here:

• Initial exposure correction to ensure no shadows or highlights are clipped
  • Lens correction (including remove vignette if you want to)
  • Defringe
  • CA correction.
  • Then develop to RGB/16, and preferable a wide gamut color profile (DCI-P3)

Everything else can be done in Photo without loosing any quality  

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

You should be able to assign shortcuts to the tools available in the Develop Persona if you set the first popup in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts to "Develop" & the second one to "Tools."

On my Mac, this is a bit flakey because it shows all the tools, not just those available in the  Develop Persona, but it works OK for the 9 tools that persona provides.

I see those, what I can't change is the key for increasing or decreasing the brush size.

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Hi,

using Photo Persona is best practice, you will not loose anything.

You can do almost all edits in an non-destructive way. 
Develop Persona is required to convert the RAW image data into a regular RGB pixel layer. 
Only the absolut minimum must be done here:

• Initial exposure correction to ensure no shadows or highlights are clipped
  • Lens correction (including remove vignette if you want to)
  • Defringe
  • CA correction.
  • Then develop to RGB/16, and preferable a wide gamut color profile (DCI-P3)

Everything else can be done in Photo without loosing any quality  

Thank you for your answer. I have seen another post of yours detailing that workflow, which makes sense. I will use that from now on and take advantage of the Photo Persona filters and tools.

54 minutes ago, Caliente said:

I see those, what I can't change is the key for increasing or decreasing the brush size.

Isn't that the same as for brush size in the Photo persona?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Like NotMyFault I do basic edits in Develop and anything involving a brush in Photo. The masking tools are so much better there! In Develop I have some presets I run that do 95% of the job most of the time. I do my noise reduction and initial sharpening in Topaz DeNoise and don't like to do anything beyond the basics before I send the image there, so I'm into Photo Persona quite quickly.