You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer-Photo-Publisher no longer starting

Hi all,

Please can you help me with the following problem. I am using the 1.10.4 versions of all three applications. When I double click on their icon, or click on them in the Toolbar or double click on their .exe file, they are no longer opening.

Yesterday morning everything was fine, by the evening nothing opens any longer. I am using Windows 10 which is up to date. I also did not install or changed anything.

Can you tell me what is going wrong and how I can fix it. All three appliations worked perfectly before.

I will appreciate your help so much.

Chris

Have you tried restarting your PC? (Not just turning off and on, but actually restarting!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

What happens if you try to open an existing *.afpub, *.afphoto, or *.afdesign file on your PC by double-clicking on its icon?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Do the apps appear in the Task Manager after you started them?

I don't know if it is possible, but could it be that they appear on hidden Desktops? Since Windows 10 Windows has virtual Desktops (Linux has that since about thirty years). Maybe the apps open on one of them?

Or do they possibly open outside the edges of your screen? I had that long time ago as I used two monitors.

• Staff

Hi @Bad_Wolf,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please try launching Affinity Photo, wait around 30-60 seconds for the application to attempt to load, then please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\

In the window that opens, please select the log.txt file, then upload this to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Everybody,

Thank you all so much for your input. When any of those applications fail to open, they do not show up in the Taskmanager. Also, something strange is going on. Sometimes they open without any problem. Then for some unknown reason, they refuse to open.

It doesn't mattr if double clicking, choosing from the Toolbar or opening them by right clicking and then opening as administrator, when they fail to open they keep stuborn. Also, trying to open an existing Affinity document does not start the application. Nothing happens.

I include the logs from moments when they refuse to open and the last one when they succesfully open.

I have no idea because before Sunday, they all opened without any problem. I didn't install or change anything. I have ExpressVPN and iTop VPN on this laptop, however it is the same behaviour with or without a VPN.

Your efforts to help me are much appreciated.

Chris

Log_SuccessfullyOpening.txt Log_WhenFailingToOpen.txt

Looks to be fetched GPU related, since when successfull ...

[OpenCL] Found 2 platforms:
Name: Intel(R) OpenCL
    Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation
    Version: OpenCL 2.1
Name: NVIDIA CUDA
    Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 10.2.100
[OpenCL] Found 1 devices for platform NVIDIA CUDA:
GeForce MX250
    Version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA
    Integrated: false
    Detachable: false

... but when it fails it looks after the Intel UHD Graphics ...

[OpenCL] Found 2 platforms:
Name: Intel(R) OpenCL
    Version: OpenCL 2.1
Name: NVIDIA CUDA
    Version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 10.2.100
[OpenCL] Found 1 devices for platform Intel(R) OpenCL:
Intel(R) UHD Graphics
    Version: OpenCL 2.1 NEO
    Integrated: true
    Detachable: false
        C:\BuildAgent10\work\dafcfb0318e7c58a\Persona\Windows\WPF\Libraries\Serif.Interop.Persona\ColourProfileManager.cpp(135): WcsCreateIccProfile error 239
        C:\BuildAgent10\work\dafcfb0318e7c58a\Persona\Windows\WPF\Libraries\Serif.Interop.Persona\ColourProfileManager.cpp(135): WcsCreateIccProfile error 239

Installed
TabletContext::Create: original queue size is 50
TabletContext::Create: new queue size is 128
Exit

... and the OpenCL 2.1 NEO driver! - The later seems to generate problems here then., thus I would try to force the Nvidia GPU usage in your case.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Thanks for the files provided! As v_kyr mentions above, it appears the app is failing to initialise OpenGL with your Intel CPU/onboard GPU.

Firstly I'd recommend updating the drivers for this Intel chip, directly from the Intel website.

Secondly, 

17 hours ago, v_kyr said:

thus I would try to force the Nvidia GPU usage in your case.

instructions for the above can be found in the following FAQ -

Please do let us know if this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi V_Kyr and Dan C,

Thank you both so much for your advice. I followed the instructions of Dan C for all three programs and it seems they are opening normally again.

I do appreciate the input and help from everybody who replied to my problem. This is a great community!

Chris

Hi everyone,

I am now a few days further and regretfully, none of those three Affinity applications will open again. I repeat the suggested process again, but it doesn't work any longer.

Does anybody have another suggestion about what is going wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Chris