You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating an outline or making an image with a clear background glow around the outside edge.

Hello,

I have an image that I used the Selection Brush Tool to remove the background around it.  I need to add a white glow or white outline around the image but I cannot figure out how to do this.

I've watched tutorials with no luck.  Any help would be great.

Note:  I've attached an example image that I found online.  You'll notice how the main character image has a glow effect around it that helps to separate it from the background.  This is what I am trying to achieve.

Web Example.png

• Staff

Hi @rogeande welcome to the forums,

One way in which you could achieve this white glow effect around your separate layer is applying an 'Outer Glow' layer effect and experimenting with the Radius,Intensity and Blend Mode.

Layer Effects can be found in the 'Effects' Panel which can be enabled by going to View > Studio > EffectsScreenshot 2022-03-14 at 12.58.56.png

NathanC,

Thanks for the quick response to my question.  I've tried your recommendation and still, no glow or outline will appear around the image.  I can select any color, remove the opacity to 0%, change the radius to 100% and adjust the intensity but nothing appears on the screen.

Any ideas of why nothing is happening?

Thanks