You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lots of errors and bugs with Affinity Photo

Hey together!

Since a few weeks (1.10.4 and 1.10.5 also) Affinity Photo has lots of problems.

Lots of different functions lead to the software not responding anymore and crashing.
E.g. using websafe dithering on a gradient, using the live filter "Perspective" on a bigger image a few times, using some other live filters etc.

I once used a filter and while applying, Affinity used over 15 GB (!) of disk storage resulting in the application to crash. The composition wasn't even that big, under 5 MB of file size.

Further, duplicating complex layers (which have a live filter "Perspective") results in a completely shifted new layer not matching the original layer.

Creating snapshots and going back to them does not rewind all the actions, filters don't get undone. So the snapshot feature is often useless for me.

Importing raw files often results in having a big black square in the bottom left corner of the image (just a visual bug, not part of the image). Also when editing photos I often get these visual bugs (black squares on image).

I don't know what's going on with the software now but I lost lots of time and work with these bugs.
Does anyone else have these problems lately? It frustrates me.

Greetings

[The used system is not weak or anything like that. CPU: i7-9750H, 16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTX 1660 Ti, M.2 SSD]

[EDIT: graphics drivers are up to date!]

• Staff

Hi @Miratek,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please open Affinity Photo and navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
4 hours ago, GarryP said:

You might get better responses if you split this into individual threads, one for each different issue – see forum guidelines.

I appreciate you suggesting this to try and keep the forums 'clean' and straightforward, however the multiple issues reported above are likely all caused by the same setting & therefore I'm happy keeping this thread together currently - but should it deviate or splinter into multiple questions I may end up splitting the thread :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

38 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Miratek,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please open Affinity Photo and navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi, of course! Thank you for your answer. I use the default settings.

image.png.f39837c9301ecac8f0ed8ae4355f5ce8.png

(Interesting to see that dithering is already enabled for gradients but that's not so important for this topic I think.)

Might be due to OpenCL enabled hardware acceleration and possibly by the system/OS updated GPU drivers, which is often the cause of all evil here. - You might want to try how your system behavaves when OpenCL hardware acceleration support is disabled, or how it runs with a different GPU driver version then. Aka in order to see if it makes any difference here then or not!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
13 minutes ago, Miratek said:

image.png.f39837c9301ecac8f0ed8ae4355f5ce8.png

Thanks for providing this for me!

As above, I'd recommend unticking Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog, as well as changing the Renderer to your GTX 1600 Ti.

Restart the app as prompted and then try editing once again for me - does this resolve the issues with black squares in developed images and the app 'freezing'? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!