You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Coming 2016 - 32bit HDR Editing! (Sneak preview!)

I wonder if they could get some sort of basic keyer adjustment layer. That way each color in a object ID pass for example would get cut out and assigned a code. Another feature would allow selecting such a code from the adjustment layer to be used as a mask.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

I wonder if they could get some sort of basic keyer adjustment layer. That way each color in a object ID pass for example would get cut out and assigned a code. Another feature would allow selecting such a code from the adjustment layer to be used as a mask.

Eheheh... Another one seeking for a node-based photo editor?  :)

I wonder why nobody ever tried to build a serious one...

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Actually a Nuke like image editor would be a boon for professional work. If is a non-destructive workflow with the best color pipeline. It would also keep the software from being yet another Photoshop clone. 

I actually use Nuke a lot for image editing because of this. Photo is significantly cheaper than Nuke ($5000-8000 + maintenance) and Fusion ($1000 for resolution independence)

Super excited to see this update as it has been the one thing keeping Photoshop on my system (HDRs and EXR textures). Serif is rocking it!

Not really. I could just use Fusion or Nuke for proper photo node editing ;)

Making photo editing with Fusion or Nuke sounds like to open a door with a cannon... IMHO  :lol:

It's like to use Substance Painter or Body Paint to make hand-drawn concepts and illustrations or InDesign to write a letter...

You can do it obviously, but these tools have been designed for other purposes.

A dedicated photo editing node-based tool (without 3D/cameras/particles/timeline... so cheaper than 1k too... ) doesn't exist yet.

Or probably I ignore its existence...  :)

It would be very interesting to see such an editing approach in a DAM tool.

Making photo editing with Fusion or Nuke sounds like to open a door with a cannon... IMHO  :lol:

And? What is the issue? it gets the job done ;)

There was this app ORMR or something...had a dragon logo. I think it had nodes...not sure. 

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

And? What is the issue? it gets the job done ;)

There was this app ORMR or something...had a dragon logo. I think it had nodes...not sure. 

Sure it does... But the price of its license?  ;)

Yep, now it has been rebranded as Bloom.

It is more an AD clone... But really chunky.

Both Photo and Designer are effectively node-based internally. We chose to expose the object model to the user as a traditional "layer stack" because that's what people expect..

Perhaps in future we might expose a node representation - but not today!

Andy.

Very Cool...

I'd like to throw my support for a node-based workflow as well!  At the very least it would be nice to reference one layer in more than one location so that any changes made to that layer propagate throughout the document.  It would also allow me to paint complex layer masks.

Finally, getting back on the topic of OpenEXR, I hope you would support the writing and reading of 16bit (half) EXR's.  Often that is plenty of fidelity for most of the work we do, but it also reduces the image size considerably.

Also, I hope you don't follow Photoshop's lead in constraining numerical values to a 0-255 range.  When dealing with floating point images I really need to be able to enter floating point values (and not be forced into adjusting my images in massive .004 increments forced on me by sticking to the legacy 0-255 model that Adobe seems attached to)

I am just now trying out Affinity Photo, but it seems like you guys have a seriously modern structure underneath that allows you to add to the app with fewer limitations based on an ancient code base.  This also makes me hopeful that I can dump Photoshop (and their lousy subscription model) as soon as you have full 32 bit support.

"At the very least it would be nice to reference one layer in more than one location so that any changes made to that layer propagate throughout the document."

This is coming in the 1.5 update - hopefully that code will enter beta in a few weeks (hopefully)..

Thanks,

Andy.

Fantastic.  This is one of the reasons I enjoy using software from smaller developers.  There is a real passion to improve their products.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

"At the very least it would be nice to reference one layer in more than one location so that any changes made to that layer propagate throughout the document."

This is coming in the 1.5 update - hopefully that code will enter beta in a few weeks (hopefully)..

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

One question remains unanswered (or maybe I didn't see the answer) : do we get multi channel EXR ? As in "Can I import an EXR coming from a 3D software like Maya and get render passes like Z depth and alpha ?"

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19612-raw-or-jpeg/?p=92583

Normal adjustment layer does not currently work

Do -2EV in RAW and +2EV in photo and it´s totally different

Also developing RAW without adjustments and doing -2EV in photo persona is different to doing -2EV in RAW persona  :rolleyes: HELP?

And how can you use 32bit on a single RAW image? Is that even possible to set the development module to output 32bit?

Did you ever find a conclusive answer to this question? Based on the start of this thread, I thought I would be able to recover details lost in Develop persona in the Photo persona, but I tried the simple experiment you mention above, and it clearly does not work. Is the problem that the Develop persona is not outputting to 32-bit in the Photo persona?

Based on my actual experience, I suppose one should do most editing of RAW images in Develop to maximize the amount of wiggle room due to the higher bit-depth. Is that what you do still?

no this seems to be by design or something like that, nobody was really interested in that issue 

if you use 32 bit you can actually recover the exact picture 

on the other hand, this is not a very practical relevant issue, one does not by mistake mess up 3 stops of exposure correction so this will not make a difference when developing images, I keep it easy in the develop persona, extract all the tonality and then move into the photo persona so I never have to "recreate" detail in the photo persona anyway

cheers 

I actually figured out the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I could not figure out how to get my Develop Persona to work in 32-bit, so when I switch to Photo Persona, I remain in 32-bit. Then I discovered the Develop Assistant and found the setting to edit in 32-bit HDR mode. Now, as you say, I am able to make the complementary adjustment and get the prior result.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you always use 32-bit mode in Develop Persona? With 32-bit mode, I never have to worry about what changes I should make in each mode (other than White Balance). Back in the day, it was always recommended when using Adobe products, Aperture, etc ... that you would have much more leeway in edits while in the Raw engine, but this 32-bit HDR mode is great as I can adjust my photo in either Persona without worrying about loss of data.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.