You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffinityPhoto now unusable and constant beachball...

• Staff

Hi @BenSharp

Please could you expand on when this issue occurs, does the app not open, or does the issue occur whilst you are using it? 

Do you still get a prompt to continue your trial? 

If the issue occurs whilst you are using it, please could you provide an example of your workflow so we can try to replicate the issue. 

• Staff

Hi @Tommy Turtle

Any new features will be in the Betas first, you can find further information on the link below. 
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/32-beta-software-forums/

If you follow the 'News and Information' thread on our Forum, it will advise you when an update available. 
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/4-news-and-information/

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Timothy Butler said:

I'm having this issue, too. My M1 Max bogs down in Affinity Photo in ways it doesn't on my M1 Mac mini or my older Intel MacBook Pro. Is there any debug data I can provide so this can get resolved?

Go to preferences > performance > off tick "use only integrated GPU and off tick "enable metal compute acceleration." > restart Mac and it'll work great.

Solution to M1 Max functionality.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Yes, that seems like a fine option while we wait, but it seems unfortunate to be disabling hardware acceleration on a machine that is built to offer incredible hardware acceleration. I was wondering if Affinity had any soon coming plans to fix the issue without requiring such an unfortunate workaround.

I have found that this problem seems to occur after the computer goes to sleep, once you wake the computer and try to resume using affinity photo the beachball and hanging occurs at nearly every task, even very basic tasks.

MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021)

Apple M1 Pro 

16 GB

hardware acceleration is: ON

Solution, Disable Hardware acceleration as stated above, or restart computer. (if you restart just the application and the problem still occurs)

I have have found an interesting side effect on my system.  When using AP my cursor will randomly and frequently bury it self in the left bottom corner of the screen.  I have to fight with it to move back up the screen to do anything with it.  This also happens in other programs while AP is running in a background window.

I am trying the settings suggested here to see if that makes a difference.  I will report back.

MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max, 32GB running Monterey 12.3.1

LG 5K 27" monitor

HW Acceleration off, as been previous written?

P. S. Screenshoot?

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, NicoW said:

I  don't use AP anymore since nearly one year because it shows only a black screen. The problem occured over sudden. Any suggestions?

You could have the User Interface hidden and also have no document open. Try File > New... and View > Toggle UI. Plus check to see if you have turned off all the various interface things like Tools, Toolbar, Studios Left and Right, Context toolbar manually.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.