You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recolor a gray into a color

Hello I tried to use the recolor brush to recolor a part of a picture in Affinity Photo. This part is a light gray color and I cant find a way to make it work. 

Here are the step I've used

1- Open my picture

2- Duplicated the Background layer (which contains the picture)

3- Choose the Color replacement brush

4- Choose the color I want

5- Try to paint over the duplicated picture

But It does not works... it does not recolor anything. But the red area I do have close to my grey area can be recolored... What am I doing wrong ? 

Here is the part where I want to recolor the light grey

image.png.6ca723cc4908276dc0d9c0b11f7b84f4.png

But I can only recolor the red part

image.png.d4eccaab9912e755abce644d49937d4b.png

Edited by DavidM27
Missing software used

5 minutes ago, DavidM27 said:

Hello I tried to use the recolor brush to recolor a part of a picture. This part is a light gray color and I cant find a way to make it work. 

We need to have some colour in order for this to work. Grey from white to black has no colour to recolour. You will most likely be better served using a recolour adjustment layer and mask out the areas you don't want coloured.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Lots of ways to do this, one being the HSL Adjustment targetting the red (or any colour you wish).

Once the colour has been chosen, move the slider to change the colour.

Screenshot (64).png

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

2 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

Lots of ways to do this, one being the HSL Adjustment targetting the red (or any colour you wish).

Yes, but @DavidM27 wants to change the colour of the grey. HSL adjustment will not/can not do that.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I think I misunderstood your goal. If you need to recolour the entire picture then the advice mentioned above by Old Bruce using the recolour might be a good option.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

Make a new pixel layer and just use the regular brush and regular colour. Use a Blend Mode of Colour for that layer.

1 minute ago, DavidM27 said:

By the way I don't know how to use the adjustement recolor layer (I don't even know what it is I don't see that in all the tools...)

It is a tool only in the broader definition of the word tool. It is an Adjustment Layer go to View > Studio > Adjustments. Or click on the little icon at the bottom of the Layers Panel (this is my preferred method of working).

1008003928_ScreenShot2022-03-09at9_13_47AM.png.67e156a8129d423dcdb4824eed2acf6d.png

789822469_ScreenShot2022-03-09at9_14_23AM.png.db37b68a3b6ebdfe0bda4ea607cd64b3.png

10 minutes ago, DavidM27 said:

"By

the way I don't know how to use the adjustement recolor layer (I don't even know what it is I don't see that in all the too

Screenshot (66).jpg

There are two places to find the recolour adjustment. (See picture)

41 minutes ago, DavidM27 said:

@AffinityJules would it work for the light grey next to it too ? 

The question is how do you intend to deal with lightness values. The “light grey” area has different shades of gray

• do you want to achieve one specific HSL / RGB color no matter of what the old gray value was before?, e.g HSL 120/100/50
  • Do you want to use the old grey value to set the brightness of new color? E.g. HSL 120/100/<old. Grey val>

depending on you choice, different methods can/must be used.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

The question is how do you intend to deal with lightness values. The “light grey” area has different shades of gray

• do you want to achieve one specific HSL / RGB color no matter of what the old gray value was before?, e.g HSL 120/100/50
  • Do you want to use the old grey value to set the brightness of new color? E.g. HSL 120/100/<old. Grey val>

depending on you choice, different methods can/must be used.

I will defer to all those who know way more about it than I do. 😉

@NotMyFault In a perfect  world I would love to be able to replace the grey of those area by any other color keeping the shading (to keep it kind of real instead of that flat black color) And in another layer I would be able to change the red next to it as well... 

To explain what I'm doing : it is stickers on a motorbike and I would like to have a look of different color in order to choose what I like the most... 

I would recommend a fill layer, blend mode color, and a mask.

This allows to change the fill color live, and use the grey shades to keep the original lightness levels.

PS: you may get better masking using pen tool to create the outline, fill with white, and set a small radius gaussion blur by layer fx. The images are quite low res, hope you have better high res images at hand.

7435E89D-E695-471A-8992-F1769EFCE748.png

recolor badge.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, DavidM27 said:

Wow that looks way better than what I did ! Can you explain what are the step you made to get there ? 

Sure. 

1. Use the Selection Brush and click on the white area, drag until selection is how you want it.
  2. Add a fill layer. It automatically uses the selection as mask.
  3. set the fill color in the color panel.
  4. change the blend mode of the fill layer to "color".

You know can change the color of the fill layer again and see the result immediately.

PS: Caution: the fill layer must be select in the layer stack, and the move tool (hand symbol) should be active. If e.g. the brush tool is active, you can't change the fill color.

• 1 year later...