You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mouse cursor should change to appropriate shape over scrollbars

The current behavior is that it does not change from whatever tool's cursor you have chosen.  It should really change the cursor to a pointer or something else appropriate for scrollbars.

This is most obvious with a large brush (expand using right square bracket key `]`) because it is hard to see the center of the brush and when you're hovering over a scrollbar you'd like to know whether you really are over the scrollbar or not.  I often find that I guess wrong and then the brush draws on the image instead of performing the scroll operation that I intended.

• Staff

Hi Kepa,
Welcome to the forums

this isn't really a bug as its just currently the way the app has been designed. I have moved this post to the feature requests section as I feel its likely a better fit there.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

7 hours ago, Kepa Online said:

This is most obvious with a large brush (expand using right square bracket key `]`) because it is hard to see the center of the brush and when you're hovering over a scrollbar you'd like to know whether you really are over the scrollbar or not.  I often find that I guess wrong and then the brush draws on the image instead of performing the scroll operation that I intended.

I'm on Windows, and for me (in Photo), if I have the Paint Brush Tool active, and I approach the scroll bar, the cursor changes back to the normal cursor as I get to the edge of the workspace. Then I can scroll, without painting.

Alternatively, you might find it useful to press and hold the Space Bar when you are painting and you want to scroll. That will temporarily switch you to the View Tool while you have the Space Bar pressed, and you can simply drag the image with your mouse to scroll it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, walt.farrell said:

I'm on Windows, and for me (in Photo), if I have the Paint Brush Tool active, and I approach the scroll bar, the cursor changes back to the normal cursor as I get to the edge of the workspace. Then I can scroll, without painting.

Alternatively, you might find it useful to press and hold the Space Bar when you are painting and you want to scroll. That will temporarily switch you to the View Tool while you have the Space Bar pressed, and you can simply drag the image with your mouse to scroll it.

Right, I think this is a Mac specific thing because the scrollbars are hidden until needed.  It appears that they are just treated by Affinity's products as always part of the content area on Mac.  I believe Affinity should take this into account instead of just aways treating scrollbars as part of the content area for the purpose of displaying different cursors.

I've confirmed this is still an issue on the v2 products.  I still love the products- they are amazing- so this isn't such a big deal, but it would be nice to see it change.

I like your suggestion of using the space bar though- that seems to do what I need too, so I'll be using that going forward.  Thanks!