You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing multiple languages from affinity's Dictionary

To the best of my knowledge Affinity takes the languages from your OS, so you'll have to cripple that. And that is a very bad idea.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Key word is "Preferred". There are lots more installed.

Go to Wikipedia and click on one of the languages. This is on the left side of the main page

1116135983_ScreenShot2022-03-08at7_37_40AM.png.d4a90724eec0ff0a730732156db17b53.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

i am confused as to the wikipedia reference.   Ui understand the features of multiple languages.  

My question for affinity is "How do i disable multiple languages in affinity's language tab? I just need English and Spanish...

Willy Pimentel
M1 Imac 16gb Mac os Ventura Latest 

I guess you could try taking out the dictionaries for everything but English and Spanish. I don't know where they are located in the Affinity applications.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I guess you could try taking out the dictionaries for everything but English and Spanish. I don't know where they are located in the Affinity applications.

Its done!!  Please help!!   

Willy Pimentel

• Staff
18 hours ago, Willy Pimentel said:

Its done!!  Please help!!   

We have removed the users that you mentioned in your post. Even though they have Affinity in their usernames, they are not Affinity staff.

The languages that are shown are taken from macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Spelling dropdown. Unselecting them from the Setup option still doesn't remove the from the list or from other apps such Apple's Pages.

th

5 hours ago, Leigh said:

We have removed the users that you mentioned in your post. Even though they have Affinity in their usernames, they are not Affinity staff.

The languages that are shown are taken from macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Spelling dropdown. Unselecting them from the Setup option still doesn't remove the from the list or from other apps such Apple's Pages.

Thanks for replaying....

so what would be the workaround for it...

Willy Pimentel

8 minutes ago, Willy Pimentel said:

so what would be the workaround for it...

There isn't one to the best of my knowledge. You would need to be able to rewrite the Operating System.

I did a comparison between Publisher and Indesign and both look pretty much the same, you see all the languages and no way to sort. I rarely need another language so not something I worry about or even think about. It definitely seems like it would be a nice thing to have for those jumping between languages on a regular basis to have a way to sort or keep at very least the languages set as preferred (in MacOS) at the top and everything else below. You can at least type out the name of the language you want and go right to it, this is quick, an extra step yes, but it gets you to what you are looking for a lot quicker then scrolling through.

51 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

There are some tools to remove undesired languages that should clean this up but I haven't tried them so use at your own risk. e.g., Monolingual: https://ingmarstein.github.io/Monolingual/

I remember this worked before but it does not do it under affinity apps.

This is the menu from Hell

image.thumb.png.b9a518c513aadb0be84ce4295425fb6e.png

And to further clarify, I do plenty of multilingual menus.  therefor i can have one line in english and one line in spanish.   it will save me a lot of time cycling through additional languages instead of if there was only 2.  THese would be a way to speed my workfloow.  I just want to be able to hide from that menu the ones i am not using.   I just need to see US English and US Spanish.

I hope that this feature would be aded to future version. 

Willy Pimentel

3 minutes ago, Willy Pimentel said:

I hope that this feature would be aded to future version. 

This topic is in the Questions part of the forum. Requests for functional changes need to be posted in the appropriate section of Feature Requests & Suggestions, where the planners at Serif look for them.

One suggestion I can make to you, which might help, would be to define a Text Style for English and another for Spanish, via the Text Styles panel. Then you can click on the panel's settings/preferences menu (aka hamburger menu; 3 horizontal lines to the right of the panel tab) and choose the option to make them default text styles for you. Then you might just be able to choose the text style to apply to text, rather than having to select the language each time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

This topic is in the Questions part of the forum. Requests for functional changes need to be posted in the appropriate section of Feature Requests & Suggestions, where the planners at Serif look for them.

One suggestion I can make to you, which might help, would be to define a Text Style for English and another for Spanish, via the Text Styles panel. Then you can click on the panel's settings/preferences menu (aka hamburger menu; 3 horizontal lines to the right of the panel tab) and choose the option to make them default text styles for you. Then you might just be able to choose the text style to apply to text, rather than having to select the language each time.

Right on!!  This is great

Willy Pimentel