You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.10.5

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Photo, version 1.10.5

The changes in Affinity Photo for Windows 1.10.5 (made since the last release Affinity Photo for Windows 1.10.4) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

• Updated the RAW import Library (updated libraw to 202110).
  • Fixed registration failure (will now use the browser to complete registration, rather than attempt it in-app)
  • Fixed possible rendering issues with Raster elements
  • Fixed background layer being blurred when re-opening an afphoto file
  • Fixed artefacts on export of documents with a Live Radial Blur
  • Fixed Overlay Paint and Erase Tools in Develop Persona not painting correctly at small brush sizes
  • Fixed Overlay Paint Brush starting at the edge of canvas
  • Fixed corrupt images when entering Photoshop plugins, with hardware acceleration enabled
  • Help & localisation improvements.

The improvements in 1.10 since are listed in some detail in this 1.10.0 Photo Windows update announcement

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Photo).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for Windows) can be downloaded from this link. (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 3/8/2022 at 10:13 AM, Patrick Connor said:

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Photo, version 1.10.5

(Note: 1.10.4 and 1.10.5 are Desktop only (released on macOS and Windows) and are not iPad releases)
The changes in Affinity Photo for Windows 1.10.5 (made since the last release Affinity Photo for Windows 1.10.4) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

• Updated the RAW import Library (updated libraw to 202110).
  • Fixed registration failure (will now use the browser to complete registration, rather than attempt it in-app)
  • Fixed possible rendering issues with Raster elements
  • Fixed background layer being blurred when re-opening an afphoto file
  • Fixed artefacts on export of documents with a Live Radial Blur
  • Fixed Overlay Paint and Erase Tools in Develop Persona not painting correctly at small brush sizes
  • Fixed Overlay Paint Brush starting at the edge of canvas
  • Fixed corrupt images when entering Photoshop plugins, with hardware acceleration enabled
  • Help & localisation improvements.

The improvements in 1.10 since are listed in some detail in this 1.10.0 Photo Windows update announcement

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Photo).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for Windows) can be downloaded from this link. (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

The last real update has been a long time and the only updates made are fixes. When will we get a real update on Affinity Designer, Photo and Publish?

I really don't understand the comment above.  What is wrong with 'fixes'?  I personally appreciate the fact that the developers are striving to provide a product with the fewest amount of bugs possible before moving on to another 'update/upgrade' that will inevitably introduce new issues. 

I have to agree, releases that only have fixes are still great. Nobody likes bugs and it's stupid to have to wait for major releases to stuff to be fixed, so well done Affinity!

One crit though. How hard would it be to add a link to this thread to the download page (or even the new version notification in the app)? I mean, really, come on! We all want to know what features or fixes are new and if it's an update we need to install asap or maybe one that can wait a bit. This is the only software I know of that tries to hide what's new. There really is no excuse, it is literally just one link you have to provide. Please just take five minutes to fix that, it's the easiest improvement you can make to your software suite.

But enough ranting, thanks for the update guys!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I purchased 1.10.5 version of AP some months ago, this year.

How is it possible I have to pay again for getting just one or two new features I may need one day? Totally non-sense. Think a bit more, please!

Then, the trial of only 30 days (Clip Studio offers 6 months) is not fair because when a user can't test it due to force majeure or being too busy, when the trial expires, he won't have more opportunities to download a new trial version.  In my case, since I couldn't test it thoroughly enough, I purchased the software, convinced it would work as any commercial application of this kind, but after a time I discovered the brush engine is totally unusable for sketching due to unstable pressure sensitivity and lack of necessary blending modes.

Sorry to be franc but this application (Affinity Photo V2) is not ready to be sold with such a brush that produces dirty artefacts and doesn't even import correctly Photoshop brushes (abr); even free applications have better brush engines.

To all the unhappy customers who think Serif business model is not fair, please comment if you have in mind a convincing solution.

(Sorry if my poor English expressions sound a bit aggressive, it's not my intention)

On 8/28/2022 at 10:56 AM, GunsOFSteel said:

Still can't import ABR brushes correctly. it's been 5 years now this hasn't been fixed.

Yes, same problem here.

The brush engine seems unfinished and will never be completed, probably due to bad concept so, I'm pretty sure the ABR brush importer will never work as expected, contrarily to what their false advertising tells.

I feel sorry for all the customers that purchased Affinity Photo, thinking it was somewhat comparable to PS. 

1 hour ago, Jose3DSigner said:

I purchased 1.10.5 version of AP some months ago, this year.

How is it possible I have to pay again for getting just one or two new features I may need one day? Totally non-sense. Think a bit more, please!

Then, the trial of 30 days is not fair because when a user can't test it due to force majeure or being too busy, he won't have more opportunities to download a new trial version.  In my case, since I couldn't test it thoroughly enough, I purchased the software, convinced it would work correctly as any commercial application of this kind, but after a time I discovered the brush engine is totally unusable for sketching.

Sorry to be franc but this application (Affinity Photo V2) is not ready to be sold with such a dirty brush that doesn't even import correctly Photoshop brushes (abr). Even free applications have better brush engines; what's up, guys?

To all the unhappy customers, please comment if you have in mind a solution to fight against this unfair business model?

Mate, if i were you I would hit them up for a refund.

Unfortunately, this is how the buying model works, back in the day we'd have to pay thousands of dollars for the new release of Maya only to find small updates.

The only thing that's new and improved in AP2 is the price tag.  I've noticed on my Surface Pro the new app is now slower. I wasn't expecting anything from this update based on the past 5 years of failed buggy versions. I really hoped the brush engine would be fixed in AP2, and yet again I was sadly disappointed. I've yelled and screamed here on the forum and sent through to head office videos demonstrating the flaws of AP's brush engine next to Photoshops, and I'm always told the same thing, we'll pass it onto the developers. Every attempt has been ignored. 

Who ever is running the show over there clearly has no idea on how to make this app successfully across the board to all artists. 

I'm confused that AP is a complete rip off of Photoshop and still lacks one of the most important components that keeps artists subscribed to Adobe.

Its time for us all to pack up and go home.

GAME OVER!

3 hours ago, chakko007 said:

You don't have to. Just go on using 1.10.5.

Thank you but I won't use AP 1.10.5 anymore because some important tools are not working correctly and Serif decided to abandon its updates:

1: I just ran AP and this is the result of the first strokes: pretty white borders but I don't want that effect, it's a bug.
2: Bad import of abr/photoshop brushes (it's an unfinished feature).
3: Brush "Blend modes" do not work as expected and some important "modes" simply do not exist, not even an single alpha pixel comparison. (most other apps of this kind have it, it's a must)
4: The Pencil brushes are not usable because of Pt.3 and btw, the pressure control becomes unstable and difficult to control when combining textures.
5: The recovery file works correctly, thanks, but AP crashes too often when adjusting value parameters.
... I don't remember more issues right now. 

strokes-issues.png