You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to separate / extract the difference of 2 nearly similar stacked photos (German or English)

hey guys,

I have a special question.

lets say I have to similar pictures (same crop/same background/done with a tripod). Difference of the 2nd picture is an extra subject on it. 
>> is it possible to extract the subject from the background, so that I just have the subjact standing alone? In the uploaded example pictures I want to have the coffee-cup without the background.

thank you alot.

greetings patrick 

032D00BF-CF2A-4FBE-BD36-747E6AA395B5.jpeg

0F45A0D3-2A44-47FD-A5D5-0D968ED074E3.jpeg

That doesn't make any sense. Why do you always have to make something simple complicated? Take the selection brush and mask the cup. Then create a mask from the selection and that's it.

The pictures are not only different because of the additional object. The object also changes the brightness of the background.

You can check this yourself if you superimpose the two pictures and then try them with the blending options.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hmm … the example with the cup is easy to mask. But can I get a good result with complex subjects? which settings should I use for masking? I didn‘t got good results with this on other Images.

Because of that I thought I‘d get better and faster results if I have the background on a separate pic.

what should I exactly try with the blending options?

2 minutes ago, keen91 said:

In the example you give, you don't need any blending options. If you have a different subject/background, then you should try various other options, perhaps starting with Difference. You should be looking for a blending mode that makes the boundary of the subject the clearest. That will very much depend on the subject and background.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

If you take the pictures yourself, use ansingle colour background ... the pattern on your sample makes it tough to use any automation or filters, because the colour of the coffee and the colour of the cup are both somewhere in the background as well.

Ideally the background is one single colour that is not repeated on the motive (similar to a green screen in filming).

Otherwise cutting out objects is always a bit of a fiddle.

Should be just a matter of making a good selection here. And of course using some in contrast different background (aka placing the cup on some dark mono colored paper etc. when taking a photo) would allways ease extracting things afterwards here.

cup-coffee-600.png.9ed8382cc3ea572f2fa8a15e2d6aaae0.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, keen91 said:

>> is it possible to extract the subject from the background, so that I just have the subjact standing alone? In the uploaded example pictures I want to have the coffee-cup without the background.

I like this idea, even if others think it’s over complicated.

The simplest method is to stack both images atop each other (must be perfectly aligned).

the set the blend mode to “difference”.

Identical parts (pixel colors) will become pure black. All other stay non-black (unless there were black)

Use a level adjustment to get get pure black / white image. Rasterize to mask. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I'm probably not creative enough to think of complicated steps for simple processes. Am I?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I use these method every day to spot / emphasize differences. It takes less than 30 seconds and is extremely powerful.

I love that the forum users normally are very supportive, diverse, and inclusive. It is a matter of personal preferences. I’m far more on the “technical” than the creative side, but sometimes can get very creative for technical solutions 😉

Unfortunately, the example by OP is not suitable for this method, as lightning and perspective doesn’t match / differ too much (greyscale increases the problem)

You can see the issue if you activate/deactivate the mask layer in the attached file.

But one unsuitable example is no proof that the method doesn’t work in other situations.

difference counter example.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

9 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

The simplest method is to stack both images atop each other (must be perfectly aligned).

First of all they must have been taken under same lightning/background/positioning etc. conditions here. Those shown above aren't in terms of taken image section, lightning, background etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, keen91 said:

Hmm … the example with the cup is easy to mask. But can I get a good result with complex subjects? which settings should I use for masking? I didn‘t got good results with this on other Images.

Because of that I thought I‘d get better and faster results if I have the background on a separate pic.

The background needs to be lighted independently from foreground, e.g. using a flash and blow it out to pure white. Sometimes used for portraits or smaller objects.

The other option would be to use the most black / non-reflective material for background and only light the object.

Next option is to use green screen.

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Should be just a matter of making a good selection here. And of course using some in contrast different background (aka placing the cup on some dark mono colored paper etc. when taking a photo) would allways ease extracting things afterwards here.

cup-coffee-600.png.9ed8382cc3ea572f2fa8a15e2d6aaae0.png

yeah understand that, but that don‘t work on the picture i‘m working on : )

3 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

I like this idea, even if others think it’s over complicated.

the set the blend mode to “difference”.

Identical parts (pixel colors) will become pure black. All other stay non-black (unless there were black)

Use a level adjustment to get get pure black / white image. Rasterize to mask. 

cant try it out at the moment. can you show an example of your work? 
thank you alot

3 hours ago, keen91 said:

cant try it out at the moment. can you show an example of your work? 
thank you alot

lease find my example below.

There is an image called "org", and a copy I modified slightly.

You can try to spot the difference manually (activate layer "copy BM normal")

Or you can use the difference method:

• deactivate layer "copy BM normal"
  • activate group "spot the difference"

Have fun.

spot the difference.afphoto