You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When will the next beta version be released?

15 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I don't believe it! It can't be that version 1 and version 2 are offered at the same time. That would mean that one has an outdated version via Windows Store. A free update to the latest software was always promised at the time of purchase. Moreover, Affinity is not yet a fully developed software.

I will definitely not buy a new 2nd Affinity software!

God listen to yourself!!! DONT BUY IT!!! Go back to Adobe but stop threatening Serif with your nonsense. As far as I am concerned Serif does not need "customers" like you!!! Like Children Are we there yet????/ STOP!!!! You are not helping the process. This is how Serif operates and if you don't like it Lump it!!!! No one ever praises them for some damn good software but crying because they have not had a BETA for a while.... 

1 hour ago, Sam Neil said:

God listen to yourself!!! DONT BUY IT!!! Go back to Adobe but stop threatening Serif with your nonsense. As far as I am concerned Serif does not need "customers" like you!!! Like Children Are we there yet????/ STOP!!!! You are not helping the process. This is how Serif operates and if you don't like it Lump it!!!! No one ever praises them for some damn good software but crying because they have not had a BETA for a while.... 

👏👏

Strange how some people do nothing but complain about the Affinity apps and praise rival software for being so much better. I really don't understand why they don't just use their preferred software and stop endlessly complaining here! (Especially when their complaints are often only matters of personal opinion.) It's also sad how childish some people can be if you dare to disagree with them! However, I've had enough of this, the ignore option is very useful!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• Staff

To ALL here: Please do not get personal with your replies. Express your opinions without criticizing others and certainly do not make personal attacks or question motives. It achieves nothing.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 7/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Welcome back artmischke,

Serif sell Affinity on the built in OS stores because of market reach and familiarity, but it is always better for Serif to buy direct from us, in that we make more money. You can buy our software from whichever suits you better and the prices are the same (wherever possible).

Thanks for your reply - really appreciate this! I got your comment and it makes definetly sense for a relatively "new" piece of software like Affinity. However you manage it, looking forward to see v2 and to experience if it closes a few gaps we currently have. I will try and buy it anyway. Let´s hope for this summer;-).

BR Steffen 

I can't see how they would've made it on Mac platform without being in the app store. The Windows version came from that success. Though I agree with the sentiment it is sort of misleading to advertise it as an "app" when it's more like a traditional application. Adobe can get away with it because they do sub fees so no need to complicate the ecosystem.

• Staff

I regret using the word app I'm my post, I'm not sure that I've done it before (well perhaps I should say not deliberately rather than never). I was to trying to keep the post succinct and because it's called the "Mac App Store", it felt logical to call it an app, but in my opinion our releases are certainly better described as software applications.

We did, as you say, need the MAS for our early success on Mac, because our Affinity Store was not ready to take money when the software initially launched, and the MAS allowed us to take money worldwide, albeit with a % going to Apple

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

35 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I regret using the word app I'm my post, I'm not sure that I've done it before (well perhaps I should say not deliberately rather than never). I was to trying to keep the post succinct and because it's called the "Mac App Store", it felt logical to call it an app, but in my opinion our releases are certainly better described as software applications.

We did, as you say, need the MAS for our early success on Mac, because our Affinity Store was not ready to take money when the software initially launched, and the MAS allowed us to take money worldwide, albeit with a % going to Apple

I didn't notice it in your post to be fair. My thought was just virtue of being on any "app store", it will give a misleading representation to some. Traditional power users are more likely to be aware of the distinction.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:12 PM, AdrianB said:

Affinity is not yet a fully developed software

Any software is not a fully developed software. This is the reason why every software has updates !

I will be happy to pay for AD 2.0 with essential features : vector patterns, blending shapes, converting pixel image in vectors, grids with vanishing point, deformation (with box, lattice, etc), duplicating and editing objects along curves.

Just one of these features will make me happy !

7 hours ago, lenogre said:

I will be happy to pay for AD 2.0 with essential features : vector patterns, blending shapes, converting pixel image in vectors, grids with vanishing point, deformation (with box, lattice, etc), duplicating and editing objects along curves.

Just one of these features will make me happy !

Given the number of features that have made it into the v1 releases since I bought them, my guess is that the v2 releases are probably going to have a not insignificant number of new features to really qualify as v2 releases.  If my guess is correct and if Affinity is sticking with the same licensing process for v2 as v1, I plan on buying the whole v2 suite on or around its release.

14 hours ago, Oval said:

Why plan it, even though you could buy?

From what dcr said, they have already bought the v1 of the Affinity Suite and are planning to buy v2, when it is available! (Same here! 😉)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 hours ago, PaulEC said:

From what dcr said, they have already bought the v1 of the Affinity Suite and are planning to buy v2, when it is available! (Same here! 😉)

Yes.  I have v1 of Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher.  But, I have the Mac App Store versions for Designer and Photo and I'm tempted to buy licenses direct from Affinity because I trust I'd be able to install and "activate" them ten years from now should the need arise.  Not as confident about the Mac App Store versions.  On the other hand, if v2 versions will open v1 files without issue, then that may not be a necessity.

I think a lot of the negative comments comes from people thinking that the Affinity suite is supposed to match the Adobe suite 1:1, and if that is your point of view then you're bound for disappointment, since it's easy to find areas where the Adobe applications still are better, given decades of development. 

But if you just look at the Affinity applications for what they already are, not comparing them with others, it's quite easy to see that they are a tremendous value for the money. Even if you would have to buy them all over again for version 2. 

(Also: the Affinity suite already have some advantages over Adobe, the unified file format is genius and deserves all praise!)

I'd certainly agree that one big problem is that, rather than looking at the Affinity Suite as it is, a lot of people just expect it to be a cheap version of Adobe products.

• Staff

...well, that's because to talk to their audience many journalists started their articles by asking "Is this app the Adobe killer?" It's a shorthand way of describing the software that has led to the expectations. You cannot blame people for having that expectation when it is used so often to describe it to a new audience

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

12 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

...well, that's because to talk to their audience many journalists started their articles by asking "Is this app the Adobe killer?" It's a shorthand way of describing the software that has led to the expectations. You cannot blame people for having that expectation when it is used so often to describe it to a new audience

That is clearly part of the problem och the source of a lot of misconception (and disappointment).

Still, some common sense could go a long way, if applied. Like reading what Serif says, actually trying the free trial versions to form an independent opinion, looking at the huge price difference and understanding that Photoshop has been around and evolved for over 30 years. 

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I can't actually speak for others, but that was the draw on Windows side for me. There was finally a legitimate competitor aiming for something better than what we had in clunky AI and bug-release (I'm sorry, features...) PS.

Designer is still short in many ways workflow-wise but AI required expensive plugins to do what I wanted it to do on top of the sub fees. Moreover, the program just felt so dated.

There were applications like Sketch, etc that we didn't have access to for UI/web design that would've worked more efficiently for my workflow. It seemed like Window's users were under-served and only had these clunky expensive options. PS has made strides since I dropped it, but they're not functions I'd love to go back under a subscription fee for... the only thing I think I really miss in it is that brush engine/masking work worked so much better in terms of both form & function. All the brushes feel very heavy-handed because of the way pressure seems to be redesigned in AP but I can still do masking work in it reasonably well. I moved my heavily illustrated work to an entirely different program, whereas my vector designs & photograph stuff I tweak in Affinity suite.

If Serif tomorrow told us they weren't ever intending to compete directly with Adobe, understandably they'd be disillusioning a lot of people... and it would probably destroy their momentum.

4 hours ago, debraspicher said:

If Serif tomorrow told us they weren't ever intending to compete directly with Adobe, understandably they'd be disillusioning a lot of people... and it would probably destroy their momentum.

That might be the tricky area for Serif.  If they were to come out and say, yes, we're building a product suite to compete with and knock down Adobe, that puts a target on their back by Adobe.  If they were trying to stay off Adobe's radar, they could say, look, we're just building a product suite for the home user and small, semi-pro user and not trying to compete with Adobe, then they lose customers who hoped Serif was building toward being a solid competitor.

If Serif says little or nothing, some customers may worry but also Adobe might be like, yeah, Serif is like a gnat: annoying to us but not deadly.

And, then, you know, they drop the sledgehammer with v3 and--BAM!--Adobe never realizes what hit them.  :)

10 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Unfortunately Serif also fuels these expectations by marketing their apps with copy such as "…Designer* is setting the new industry standard in the world of design…" and "…Publisher* is the next generation of professional publishing software…". Phrases such as 'new industry standard' and 'next generation…professional' will always serve to create comparisons in folks minds between the current industry standard, and the current generation professional product(s) with your product(s).

If you don't want to be compared to Adobe, stop marketing yourself in relation to Adobe.

*These phrases taken directly from both the Designer and Publisher product pages.

2 hours ago, dcr said:

That might be the tricky area for Serif.  If they were to come out and say, yes, we're building a product suite to compete with and knock down Adobe, that puts a target on their back by Adobe.  If they were trying to stay off Adobe's radar, they could say, look, we're just building a product suite for the home user and small, semi-pro user and not trying to compete with Adobe, then they lose customers who hoped Serif was building toward being a solid competitor.

If Serif says little or nothing, some customers may worry but also Adobe might be like, yeah, Serif is like a gnat: annoying to us but not deadly.

And, then, you know, they drop the sledgehammer with v3 and--BAM!--Adobe never realizes what hit them.  :)

I feel as though the horse left the barn when they didn't deny the Adobe-killer aspirations, so I have always considered it a humble admission by omission. They are also not shy about targeting a wider audience of creators, although are very crafty about not being too explicit in their goals. Time will tell if that was a smart move. I know of at least a few big names that have eyed these programs for potential to switch in the future if certain boxes are checked, so I would say the impression is already there...

2.0 will give us a better idea of where they are actually going, though. So soon we will have an answer...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.