You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When will the next beta version be released?

33 minutes ago, GyroGearloose said:

But talking to your own customers and responding to their questions has never hurt any company.

Serif does both of those.

However, they do not tell us about future plans, as that has caused issues in the past.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Interesting thread.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:01 AM, Patrick Connor said:

There are fewer public fixes currently, but that is typical in that we make a major release 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10 and after each do a series of releases that are mainly bug fixes with fewer fixes in each till the next major release

Obecnie jest mniej publicznych poprawek, ale jest to typowe, ponieważ tworzymy główne wydanie 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, a po każdym wykonujemy serię wydań, które są głównie poprawkami błędów z mniejszą liczbą poprawek w każdym aż do następnego wydania głównego

I have not seen that and it is not true. All the developers who worked on 1.7, 1.8 1.9 etc are still employed by Serif. We have an amazing retention rate, and have recently taken on a number of new staff. 

Nie widziałem tego i to nieprawda. Wszyscy programiści, którzy pracowali nad 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 itd., nadal są zatrudnieni przez Serif. Mamy niesamowity wskaźnik retencji, a ostatnio zatrudniliśmy wielu nowych pracowników.

Work continues apace, to fix bugs and add new features, both of which take time. Have faith, Onwards!

Prace trwają szybko, aby naprawić błędy i dodać nowe funkcje, które wymagają czasu. Miej wiarę, naprzód!

^^ This is promising.

I personally don't expect Serif to be boasting on the forums about amazing progress. (Meh) Honest progress is all I look forward to. There are issues really itching to be fixed/added (*cough* expand stroke). All the while, being aware this program is still in its 1.x era, a foundation needs to be built to an extent, but they've provided a usable program in many use-cases for a large enough user base to at least (edit) have a stable platform to build upon. Steady progress is better than fast-paced where everything is incompetently built. I imagine most people's mentality will change at 2.x depending on what is released/announced.

I don't care about version numbers personally. Obviously we'll probably to pay for 2.0 which I think was mentioned, but I kind of expected that. The question is always: Did you get your moneys worth with 1.x? If you didn't, wait to see... anyway, I'll likely be purchasing when 2.0 is announced.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

On 6/29/2022 at 4:25 PM, debraspicher said:

Interesting thread.

^^ This is promising.

I personally don't expect Serif to be boasting on the forums about amazing progress. (Meh) Honest progress is all I look forward to. There are issues really itching to be fixed/added (*cough* expand stroke). All the while, being aware this program is still in its 1.x era, a foundation needs to be built to an extent, but they've provided a usable program in many use-cases for a large enough user base to at least (edit) have a stable platform to build upon. Steady progress is better than fast-paced where everything is incompetently built. I imagine most people's mentality will change at 2.x depending on what is released/announced.

I don't care about version numbers personally. Obviously we'll probably to pay for 2.0 which I think was mentioned, but I kind of expected that. The question is always: Did you get your moneys worth with 1.x? If you didn't, wait to see... anyway, I'll likely be purchasing when 2.0 is announced.

OK like many others I need a DAM to work alongside Affinity Photo, at the moment I still use Lightroom 6 perpetual and due to it's age it cannot read my Sony files so I have to go round the houses with the adobe DNG converter, it would be nice to actually no if there is a DAM on the horizon from Serif in the next release of Affinity Photo so I don't   go throwing money away on purchasing another app that does have at least a DAM to work from.

Ball is in there court to give customers an update on the progress they have maybe made for the next release, it's called customer relations or loose some who are fed up waiting for what has been asked for many months/years ago.

Russ.

On 7/1/2022 at 1:51 AM, GenewalDesign said:

When the 2.0 will be announced, it will be like the England Team won a second World Cup. 😄

Well we know one will happen before the other

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

On 7/1/2022 at 7:51 AM, GenewalDesign said:

When the 2.0 will be announced, it will be like the England Team won a second World Cup. 😄

47 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Well we know one will happen before the other

I don't actually follow any of the myriad Sportsball enterprises but they could coincide. [Go Habs emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I would gladly pay for a 2.0 instead of getting a v1.11 for free. Affinity Designer were quite cheap and I used it more or less daily. I still don't know how they managed to get enough revenue from v1.x alone now. But I won't like a subscription plan, of course, I would be furious :D

Whether it's 1.11 or 2.0... I don't think that's the issue. I mean, we don't know what's going on. We think there might be some big changes... or not. Or if some problems will finally be solved (bounding box, expand stroke and the other...).

I'm kind of joining the grumblers. 
It's hard to project yourself in a workflow knowing that there are functions that are really missing to be efficient. 

I'd like to get rid of adobe products... but today, it's still complicated to use serif products in a workflow that uses a lot of other apps like rhino or c4d. 

I think that paying is not a problem. But the lack of visibility towards the future of the products. Because in the end we never know what is really planned. 

Clém !

On 5/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, dsnaps12 said:

Found at www.reddit.com: An AEC Magazine article said that Serif let selected testers use the 2.0 suite beta starting this January (when they began reducing their social media use and stopped uploading videos IIRC), and that the programs should be out later this year. This said, there's a 99,9% chance you'll have to pay a smaller fee than the programs' cost to upgrade. And as it is it's all very usable, you should only care about 2.0 if you MUST have the most possible stuff because you're coming from Adobe as a high-end user and the like. 

2-Affinity 2.0 Affinity - Google Chrome.png

• Staff
19 hours ago, Skippy said:

Will be interesting to see what 2.0 brings, Wonder how they will handle upgrade fee's on the App Store version.

AFAIK taking money again for a new release was not designed in to the Mac App Store or Microsoft Store architecture. A company cannot charge for a new version of something once purchased, and all "updates" are free. I think both stores expect the software company to make a new product that can be bought fresh or only ever make new software sales to new customers. Without the concept of a paid-for new version of AppX, the only option is to have "AppX" and "AppX ver2” as independent apps on the store.

That makes "AppX ver2” a new purchase, but worse still, neither company has a discount scheme that takes into account ownership of "AppX". Quite incredible in my opinion.

There is only ever one price for an application on the Mac App Store and the Microsoft Store, so you cannot easily offer a discount code for a new application either.

The software house can choose to leave AppX on the store available to buy after you release "AppX ver2" or not, but neither store has a built-in mechanism for an upgrade process. Biggest software companies in the world and they haven't got this sorted (smh).

IMHO to avoid the consequences of these design decisions by Microsoft and Apple, when Serif release a new version of Affinity apps on these stores (and our own store) we will need to be creative and/or generous in order to be seen as fair to our existing and new customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello I am new to Affinity, and I am wondering why the resolution of the tutorial videos is generally so poor? It makes me wonder is there a minimum size of screen that is needed to be able to use Affinity?

Can the resolution issue be got around or is that the best that can be expected?

Russell Hanna

Considering the apparent problems with the Apple and Microsoft stores' versions, (both with the initial purchase and when using the products – going on many posts in the forums,) wouldn't it be easier to scrap selling via these stores and only sell via the Serif/Affinity store? I would have thought that anyone who wanted to buy the apps would still do so, directly from Serif, if that was the only option available.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Hi There,

I normally buy software directly from the developer as there are ridiculous fees taken from the app store provider. But if that´s the hindrance to publish v2, I would consider to stop selling via Apps Stores and provide any current user who bought the Apps via such a Store in the past a voucher code to be redeemed on the Affinity Store. 

Taken into consideration that the software costs a fraction of current market solutions (I pay more than 60 EUR per device a month for the software I´m using) I would assume that everybody would be happy with this solution. 

Providing a solution to replace Lightroom or Capture One, AI Filters on Photo, Better EPS handling in Designer + AI import and more options to Publisher (which I didn´t had the change to test so much yet) would easily convince me to pay twice the price of the current price tag. 

BR Steffen 

PS: I´m loving the software so far - working with Designer more and more but still depended on current solutions like InDesign or Illustrator.

• Staff

Welcome back artmischke,

20 minutes ago, artmischke said:

I normally buy software directly from the developer as there are ridiculous fees taken from the app store provider. But if that´s the hindrance to publish v2...

Serif sell Affinity on the built in OS stores because of market reach and familiarity, but it is always better for Serif to buy direct from us, in that we make more money. You can buy our software from whichever suits you better and the prices are the same (wherever possible).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Serif sell Affinity on the built in OS stores because of market reach and familiarity, but it is always better for Serif to buy direct from us, in that we make more money. You can buy our software from whichever suits you better and the prices are the same (wherever possible).

You guys at Serif should talk to the people at Bare Bones Software. See how they first dealt with the Mac App Store and how they deal with it now.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

With Version 2.0 going forward, I think Serif should sell directly and not via "app stores." The way I see it, professionals don't invest in "apps," rather we invest in "programs or software."

Once the proper end-of-life (EOL) is reached for all Affinity Suite of apps, make noticeable descriptions in the app stores.

I think Serif can see from their perspective that they would handle all kinds of transaction, while at the same time they are in complete control of pricing decisions. There is now no more commission fees to the app stores.

Because each of us already has an account, when purchased any Serif products, future upgrade pricings can take into account our previous version purchase.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:43 AM, Patrick Connor said:

IMHO to avoid the consequences of these design decisions by Microsoft and Apple, when Serif release a new version of Affinity apps on these stores (and our own store) we will need to be creative and/or generous in order to be seen as fair to our existing and new customers.

I don't but Software through the Microsoft Store, but if Microsoft and Apple allow to contact Users directly under certain conditions... maybe a Discount Voucher for Photo, Designer and Publisher? I don't know if that can be arranged. :/

Best regards!

5 hours ago, Mithferion said:

I don't but Software through the Microsoft Store, but if Microsoft and Apple allow to contact Users directly under certain conditions... maybe a Discount Voucher for Photo, Designer and Publisher? I don't know if that can be arranged. :/

Best regards!

Since we can attach an acct to the software, it's possible these users can be screened. Maybe there is a way to put the upgrade information on the "open screen" and one-time use token be applied once clicking a banner, etc. They would end up with a standard upgrade license going forward. I'm sure there's ways...

Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I bought Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher and Affinity Photo from Microsoft Store. I expect all future updates to have been delivered to me from Microsoft Store!

You have purchased a license for version 1 of the applications, and all future updates to version 1 of the applications will be delivered via the Microsoft Store and without additional charge.

Serif has said that version 2, when it arrives, will require a new purchase. It would not just be an update to your current version 1 applications. At that point you may purchase the new application from any Store in which Serif decides to sell it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I get everyone is anxious for a big update and the arrival of Publisher for iPad. Me too. Publisher on iPad will make working out of my office so much easier. I have been waiting for some features to be added for a couple years now that I think would make the suite even more productive for me.  That said, Affinity was always open that version 2 would be a paid upgrade. I am more than happy to shell out money for software that works as well as this when they release 2.0.  I have been doing graphics on computers since the 80s and Affinity is one of the best companies I have worked with. I prefer things as they are, they release things when they are ready, not just to get some extra bucks for once a year upgrades if they are ready or not. I have had some issues over the years and Affinity responded quickly and honestly. It's pretty obvious something is happening and fairly soon.  I have work I can accomplish well enough until the new release happens and I'll be excited to see what they have come up with and surprise us with. 

6 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I don't believe it! It can't be that version 1 and version 2 are offered at the same time. That would mean that one has an outdated version via Windows Store. A free update to the latest software was always promised at the time of purchase. Moreover, Affinity is not yet a fully developed software.

I will definitely not buy a new 2nd Affinity software!

It's your loss, have fun paying Adobe instead. Even with some rough edges the current suite of Affinity apps are more than capable and the price is a steal compared to the competition. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.