You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When will the next beta version be released?

Hi there,
Since Affinity has been very quiet lately, I wanted to ask when the next beta version will be released.

Is there a page that tells what new features are planned for AF Designer and AF Photo?

Or which problems were fixed in the Mac version?

I would be very happy about some information.

Thanks very much

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

Serif generally doesn't comment on when they will be doing something. Nor what it will fix nor what enhancements it will contain.

There were new Windows beta versions of Photo and Designer released yesterday, but Mac has been quieter. The latest Windows versions are marked RC2 (Release Candidate 2) so we can guess that 1.10.5 is close to being released as a retail version, and presumably it would be released on Mac at the same time.

But it's all a guess unless/until someone from Serif can tell us something. There was a hint earlier that they're hoping for a fix from Apple for some problem that affects the Affinity applications, and perhaps they're still working with Apple on that. There are several issues on Monterrey, which may be related to this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you Walt for your quick reply. 😊  Too bad there is no active communication with Affinty. Have an Apple MacMini (M1) silicon with Monterrey and there are a few issues that have been addressed here on the forums. The problems were probably collected and forwarded to the Affinity programmers.

It would have been nice to know which problems have already been fixed.

OK, I'm very happy with the programs AF Designer and Photo. I'll just wait until there's a new version.

Thank you again.

Many greetings

Mark

--

There is active communication with Serif here, but there is certain info they don't usually provide.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/7/2022 at 4:43 PM, deepblue said:

new features

You can search for the old feature list and you will see that one of the next new features will be …

For example a “Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape”, a "Mesh fill tool" and a "Knife tool" were announced on the Affinity Designer feature roadmap.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:43 AM, deepblue said:

Is there a page that tells what new features are planned for AF Designer and AF Photo?

Many have pointed out that Apple is showing Affinity Publisher in it's ads for iPad Air 5. My guess is that this is where their attention is going at the moment. There is still one application in the lineup that hasn't been released even as a beta yet so it makes sense that this is their main focus.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 12.41.28 PM.png

KipV:

You are right. Maybe Publisher for iPad will be released soon and the issue with Apple is getting to be fixed.

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

On 3/11/2022 at 9:46 PM, KipV said:

Many have pointed out that Apple is showing Affinity Publisher in it's ads for iPad Air 5. My guess is that this is where their attention is going at the moment. There is still one application in the lineup that hasn't been released even as a beta yet so it makes sense that this is their main focus.

That is very interesting! I am very much looking forward to puclisher on iPad to see how it would work for me.

Today I updated my MacMini M1 to Monterey 12.3 and I have to say that the programs Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo start much faster.

I now work with Affinity Designer almost every day and am very happy with it for my stuff.

I'm looking forward to the new version of Affinity Designer and Photo and I hope I don't have to wait too long.

--

My whole Affinity Suite on the Monterey 12.3 is also much better/faster including loading times. I have Intel MBP 2017. Second thing I observed is that the latest update of Affinity apps also helped a lot.  

marekmati.com

[MAC OS 12.2, MacBook Pro  2017, 15-inch, 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon Pro 560, Intel HD Graphics 630, 500GB SSD + Philips Monitor 4K/60fps 10bit color via DisplayPort to USB-C cable]

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5

8 hours ago, MarekGFX said:

My whole Affinity Suite on the Monterey 12.3 is also much better/faster including loading times. I have Intel MBP 2017. Second thing I observed is that the latest update of Affinity apps also helped a lot.  

I only tested it on my 2020 MacBook Pro a little bit. I also have a 2017 iMac that I haven't had access to for a while but I am curious as to how performance will be different there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 1:06 PM, postmadesign said:

puclisher

Strange! Something for wellness? Something with electr…? Hopefully we are waiting because of the announced features and the damn DAM!

On 3/11/2022 at 9:46 PM, KipV said:

What a task to squeeze that much functionality into this!

reinstopfen.jpg

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

7 hours ago, Sam Neil said:

As far as I know Serif don't offer a roadmap unless I have missed something

There was a time before Serif stopped and removed the Affinity Designer feature roadmap … but if you can search you can get a knowbody ;-)

On 4/6/2022 at 2:05 PM, Oval said:

Before those many announced features of the 1.x roadmap are online?

I think it will come down to cashflow-if they can afford to still add those features to this version and then do another larger set of features to entice users to upgrade to version 2.0

6 hours ago, clem said:

iPad version will be out this summer

Hopefully the requested beta versions of AF Designer and AF Photo will be released sooner than the iPad version of AF Publisher.

On 4/10/2022 at 1:09 PM, Oval said:

Probably not!

Why would it not come down to cashflow? Right now there's a large portion of users who already paid for the vs1 of the affinity apps. The last several years, they've not contributed further financially. Releasing version 2 of affinity would open that large portion of existing users to extract money from again for the update. Let's not forget affinity has often dropped the price of their programs to half price for extended periods of time which is a temporary solution to refill the bank  account.

My optimistic and desired hope is that the reason we've seen very little innovation or improvement from affinity in terms of new features is because they've been working on creating and refining them behind the scenes in anticipation of a big launch, perhaps this summer alongside the iPad version of publisher

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.