You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

M1 Monterey / Affinity Photo & Beta - Spinning Wheel Of Death

Been downloading the latest versions and living in hope that this will be fixed.  I can go a week without the spinning wheel of death and then suddenly I get it for a solid day and it basically makes the app unusable. Doesn't matter if I have any panels open or not, it just suddenly pops up on any task. Go to the layer menu, spinning wheel etc ... from a super fast application to one of the hardest apps to use around. I like to do tutorials on Affinity Photo, it has been hard to do any of late and I am just back doing Photoshop and Illustrator ones as I can't go more than two seconds without the machine stalling on me. 

Is there any chance this will ever be fixed or should I just abandon the M1 (which is a fast enough machine with all the other apps) but with Affinity, it does become a nightmare

Andrew

That is stated in the title (Affinity Photo and Beta) ... err, yes, the beta is just as problematic as the actual. It is hard to work out what triggers it. It can work for a few days and you won't see it and then suddenly you just get it over and over. and then all of a sudden it stops again for a week or so. Mentioned in my video community page and I am clearly not the only one getting the spinning wheel. I was hopefully that the beta would have fixed it

Andrew

• Staff
16 hours ago, Andrew Buckle said:

Perhaps it is just something with this M1, only got 8GB so perhaps that is causing it but before going to Monterey, it was quite fine and ever since, been a fun rid with Affinity Photo

Im running a 16GB M1 MacBook Air here, do you have a set of actions that always results in the beach ball for you?  Also did you purchase the app direct from us or via the Mac App Store?

Bought the mac store one when it first came out. The beta though is from your website. Nothing to do with actions, no actions or macros running. Perhaps it one of those assistants ? Anyway, just testing that but I have had only one briefest of wheels today when closing the grid manager.    Perhaps should have gone for the 16GB model, could be that as well ?  Andrew. p.s as mentioned, can go days without it and then I can't get rid of it with even a reboot / shutdown. It will trigger on startup and continue whilst in use. As mentioned, others have also mentioned it as well to me so I am certain I am not the only one getting this odd glitch.    Andrew

I have the same problem. 16” MacBook M1 Pro. 

Constant, random UI stalls. Infuriating. MacOS 12.2.1

Interestingly, I have a M1 Mac mini, base spec, 8gb, and it performs flawlessly. 

I purchased all the apps from the App Store. 

In the Publisher thread it was mentioned it was caused by a code signing / validation issue in MacOS.

Is there anything we can do? or any timescale as to when this might be fixed - it is so strange, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's infuriating.

I can't work it out. I assumed it was some interface issue with some of the panels but that makes little sense as my M1 Monterey Designer basically 'looks' the same as Photo with layers etc and yet I have had no issues with Designer. Photo can go three or four days without any issues and then suddenly it will go 'spinning' wheel for an entire day and then stop o=doing it again for another random period. All very strange

Andrew

I can’t see the pattern either. It was fine on an 13” M1 MacBook Pro, 16GB. I actually upgraded my laptop because I wanted a bigger screen, so for me, the only difference is M1 Pro. Like I said, I got a base model MacMini M1 and that performs better than my M1 Pro. 

I don’t know if it’s because it’s a fresh install and the install of the Affinity apps have been on my MacMini for ages or something else. The Beta versions improve things, but certain tasks get the beachball constantly. It doesn’t seem to like panning and scaling, that often freezes the ui.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Turtle said:

It was fine on an 13” M1 MacBook Pro, 16GB.

Running the same OS (Monterey) at the same release level?

Edit: And is one machine Intel while the other is an Apple M1 chip? Or are both M1?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...