You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

sudden crash in Aff photo

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this file, I've been testing here and thus far I've been unable to replicate the crash with Hardware Acceleration both enabled and disabled.

I'd like to check your event viewer logs, to see if they have any further information - as unfortunately the crash report debugging is only providing very generic errors.
Can you please try and crash the application again, then do the following:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

In addition to the above, our team can see a few applications running which we've not seen before in the crash report, namely nVidia 3D VisionTrygg Surf Ultralight - if you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of these applications, and are they actively running, or just background processes? Although not certain, our team have recommend closing these to see if the behaviour within Affinity improves.

Many thanks once again :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I don't know what happen to my original post but this was it:

I also have been having frequent crashes recently. This was never a problem in the past so not sure what is going on. I have been exploring Capture One as a DAM to go along with Affinity Photo. However, the crashes are occurring even when Capture One is not running. Many of the crashes occur when cropping and image.  Attached is a saved image that when I now try to open crashes Affinity before  it even loads.  I have been losing a lot of work and time with this as generally the files or work is not saved as a recovery file. Any insights greatly appreciated.

Note that I was not able to load the file which causes a crash when trying to open. I get unexpected server error. Upload failed!

I got one reply suggesting to turn off hardware acceleration  I did and it seemed to help. But just now crashed when adding a brightness layer. Very frustrating!! Any suggestion?

Thanks

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, as I have been out of the office for a few days!

Many thanks for the files provided @Claes, I can see the application is crashing when accessing .NET, so I'd like to try using the Microsoft repair tool to try and stop this from happening.

Please visit the below link and download the .NET Framework repair tool -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Run this and let the PC try and repair the issue, then restart your computer and try crashing the app once more. Does this resolve the crashing for you? :)

@running tide My sincerest apologies also, as it appears as though your first post was missed here - I'd like to request a copy of this .afphoto file and also your latest crash reports.

Your crash reports can be found by opening Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the 2 most recently created .DMP files, then attach these, with your file, to the below link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/nNxSiX6PeFI5X1zN7ToH

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know - many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:01 AM, Dan C said:

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, as I have been out of the office for a few days!

Many thanks for the files provided @Claes, I can see the application is crashing when accessing .NET, so I'd like to try using the Microsoft repair tool to try and stop this from happening.

Please visit the below link and download the .NET Framework repair tool -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Run this and let the PC try and repair the issue, then restart your computer and try crashing the app once more. Does this resolve the crashing for you? :)

@running tide My sincerest apologies also, as it appears as though your first post was missed here - I'd like to request a copy of this .afphoto file and also your latest crash reports.

Your crash reports can be found by opening Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the 2 most recently created .DMP files, then attach these, with your file, to the below link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/nNxSiX6PeFI5X1zN7ToH

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know - many thanks in advance!

Dan C

Thanks for getting back to me. No crash report files were found?

I have turned off hardware acceleration and this seems to have help. No recent crashes when cropping. I still am having problem with the program hanging. My impression that his is most often when saving or working with large files. This can lead to corrupting the files . My guess that this is related to too large files or too many files open and memory management. But this is just a guess. Is memory management a problem with Affinity Photo? What can be done short of upgrading the computer if this is the problem

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me, I'm glad to hear that disabling Hardware Acceleration seems to have improved performance for you!

On 3/26/2022 at 8:47 PM, running tide said:

I still am having problem with the program hanging. My impression that his is most often when saving or working with large files. This can lead to corrupting the files

Sorry to hear this - I'd like to request a copy of your eventvwr log to see if this shows any information regarding this. Can you please wait for the app to produce one of these errors, then follow the instructions in my above post and upload a copy of the .evtx here for me :)

On 3/26/2022 at 8:47 PM, running tide said:

Is memory management a problem with Affinity Photo?

There's no generic open issues with our developers currently regarding memory management in Affinity Photo on Windows - all that I can see are very file specific.

14 minutes ago, Ambros said:

I am also experiencing regular crashes and hangs on most recent update, not experienced on previous versions (i.e. as of most recent rolled out update problem has arisen)

Crash file attached

AffinityHanging.evtx 68 kB · 0 downloads

Is hardware acceleration on? If so try turning it off. Edit->Preferences->Performance. Updating graphics drivers with a clean install may also help.

• Staff

Hi @Ambros,

Thanks for your report provided! This shows me that Windows stopped correctly interacting with the Affinity app, which could certainly have been caused by Hardware Acceleration. Please do let us know if disabling this option helps reduce the crashing you're experiencing :)

Hi again Dan

I run the Microsoft file as you suggested. I did not understand the the text that came up (see below)  (I´m a photographer not computor scientist)
Well it worked for a while but today it crashed again.

I have uploaded the recent crash file and also Microsoft messages

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reregister Windows Installer service

Unregisters and re-registers the Windows Installer service using MsiExec.exe. Applicable regardless of the diagnosis results.

1. Restart Windows Installer service

Stops and restarts the Windows Installer service. Applicable regardless of the diagnosis results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don´t know what to do. It´s very frustrating

"Claes

screen.JPG

7bbd1c03-63ab-4d2b-802a-b815b02a79a7.dmp

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know - I can see the tool attempted to repair the framework, which indicates Windows did find an issue with this and likely explains the crashes within Affinity.

We need to try manually installing the latest .NET framework (4.8), which you can download from the below link -

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework

Once downloaded, install this and then restart your PC. Once restarted, launch Affinity and try editing your image/document once again - does this reduce the crashing behavior please? :)

I'm having quite a few crashes over the last couple of weeks.  I've never had the software behave like this before.  I've updated my graphics drivers (Nvidia GeForce 1060) and updated the software, but it still happens every now and then.  I'm getting at least one crash per session.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm running an i7 hex core processor, m2-nVME drives, and 64 gigs of RAM. 

• Staff
5 hours ago, Claes said:

It cant be done since a notice says .NET 4.8 runtime,  or newer, is already installed and will not execute the request.

No problem at all, thanks for trying that for me!

Myself and a colleague have been testing your file further, and on a different machine from the one I originally tested on, we've been able to replicate the crash within this document - which throws the same .NET error here, even though this is installed for us, so it appears to be a 'red herring' in the crash log.

As we've been able to replicate the crash here, I can get your document logged with our developers for further testing, as I can't see any obvious cause for the app to be crashing at the moment :)

@tonyk11, Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

As previous, I'd recommend performing a 'clean install' of your GPU drivers to ensure the latest driver is the one in use by the Affinity app -

If you're still having trouble, can you please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan

I haven´t had any more problems with sudden crashes recent times (TG)

But today when I opened a file it suddenly was corrupted. (the file I s corrupted and has to be closed)

This has happened several times before, as you know, but not for a long time.
This is very, very annoying Now I have to start from the very beginning with a very complex image

What to do now ??

I haven´t deliberately made any changes to the computor

No crash report found

• Staff

I'm certainly glad to hear the application is more stable for you, though I'm certainly sorry to hear of the trouble with this file.

Firstly, are you able to provide a copy of this file here for me? 

Secondly, where was the file being stored/open from? (ie a local disk, a cloud location, an external drive etc)

Many thanks in advance :)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me! I believe I have been able to recover this file and have attached it below - 

diaXX22222extra2_f.afphoto

I'll be logging the corrupted file with our developers to help us better understand the cause of this issue and to reduce the chance of this happening in the future.

I hope this helps :)

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me! I believe I have been able to recover this file and have attached it below - 

diaXX22222extra2_f.afphoto

I'll be logging the corrupted file with our developers to help us better understand the cause of this issue and to reduce the chance of this happening in the future.

I hope this helps :)

Thank you !!

Hi again Dan

Well here we go again. A new corrupt file.

What exactly did you do to recover the file I sent you earlier.

If you could explain it to me maybe I can fix upcoming corrupt files myself.

Ps
a new file crash happened earlier today. Have your staff an update in the pipeline ?

IMG_3947.afphoto

• Staff
18 hours ago, Claes said:

Hi again Dan

Well here we go again. A new corrupt file.

What exactly did you do to recover the file I sent you earlier.

If you could explain it to me maybe I can fix upcoming corrupt files myself.

Ps
a new file crash happened earlier today. Have your staff an update in the pipeline ?

IMG_3947.afphoto 739.9 MB · 1 download IMG_3947_fixed.afphoto

Morning Claes,

Dan is away this week. I've been able ro recover your file - we normally try and open these documents in Affinity Publisher by adding it as a Page. It's attached.

You mentioned above that you're saving locally but is the location you're saving to backed up or synced to a cloud service?

• Staff

No worries and thanks for replying. So is the folder where you're saving documents to also the folder that's being backed up to the cloud? Does it constantly backup or does it backup at certain intervals? Are you able to tell me which backup/sync cloud service you're using?