You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Product Idea: Affinity Animate

Affinity makes a fairly decent line of products that are quite affordable compared to the other major competitors in the market. However when it comes to animation, Adobe and other subscription based programs are still in the lead. The only well-known free animation application is Blender, is confusing to use. If Affinity gets its own animation program, people will finally have a reason to stop using adobe. Of course there are things you can do in Illustrator that you can't do in Affinity Designer, but an animation program that only requires a reasonable one-time payment instead of an expensive subscription will definitely make up for that. I haven't been able to come up with an idea for the logo design yet, but the [current] colors for the logo will be:

#77E1B0 (Main)

#4BCC83 (Accent)

Anyways, feel free to comment down below and share suggestions you have about/for Affinity Animate. I will update this post once I come up with a possible logo design, new color scheme, and or name change.

Affinity never says never, but I will put money on "It is not going to happen".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

33 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Affinity never says never

I thought that Animation was one case where they had said "we have no plans to do this", which is stronger than most other requests where they say "we'd like to" or "perhaps someday".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I thought that Animation was one case where they had said "we have no plans to do this", which is stronger than most other requests where they say "we'd like to" or "perhaps someday".

You’re not wrong, Walt.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I support the idea for having Affinity Animate.

I opine that it would be good for Affinity Animate to be based on vector graphics animation and if possible only on changes from one frame to the next so as to keep file size as small as possible.

Animation files that are huge present problems for peop;e who have personal webspaces.

Serif has previously produced, in Serif PagePlus, the capability to produce vector-based slide shows as PDF slide shows.

Could Affinity Animate produce animations that could be run in Adobe Reader as slide shows, with the possibilirty of full screen display, that move quickly and automatically from frame to frame?

@Stargazer49 Please don't be held back or discouraged references by comments made over seven years ago. Time moves on. Innovation is important.  I remember when I, and at least one other person, suggested including OpenType support in the then anticipated PagePlus X3. It did not happen, no feedback, no explanation or anything. However, OpenType support appeared in PagePlus X5, and done superbly well. Maybe Affinity Animate will never be produced, but very often in the world at large, new ideas get dismissed, sometimes ridiculed, for a while, then happen and become mainstream. It is very easy for peope to leap on a bandwagon of dismissing new ideas, but so what, that is a matter for them.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:57 AM, William Overington said:

dismissing new ideas

I don't think it's a rejection of new ideas, but a real consideration of the capabilities of a company that develops three different applications for three different platforms in a highly competitive environment, which in itself is quite a challenging task. So adding more and more applications to the portfolio, for which there will not be enough capacity - see, for example, the DAM requested and previously promised by many users, would be just an irresponsible step.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

18 hours ago, Pšenda said:

... see, for example, the DAM requested and previously promised by many users, would be just an irresponsible step.

What is that please and where can one see it?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

10 minutes ago, William Overington said:

What is that please and where can one see it?

Type the word DAM into the forum Search box and press Enter.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I have had a look and people keep saying they want one, no promise has been made, etc, but every post looked at so far just uses the three letters underlined for some reason but i have not yet found, if it is anabbreviation, of what it is an abbreviation, nor what it is.

It is like if someone were to write about Affinity and PDF without ever writing Portable Document Format or explaing what it is or why it is used.

William

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

just uses the three letters underlined for some reason

Try point mouse to this.
image.png.71f0c97a11141c05f4bee77a9fc729cd.png

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I have had a look and people keep saying they want one, no promise has been made, etc, but every post looked at so far just uses the three letters underlined for some reason but i have not yet found, if it is anabbreviation, of what it is an abbreviation, nor what it is.

The summary shown to me for the third result of the search shows this: 

This sounds like you are requesting a DAM (Digital Asset Manager)

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, William Overington said:

no promuse has been made

There is a lot of thread on the topic on the forum - but they are more historical, because the work on DAM has apparently stalled.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The summary shown to me for the third result of the search shows this: 

Well, I just tried again and that is near the top. Either the search before didn't show it in that position or I did not notice it.

So there we are.

William

On 3/3/2022 at 3:57 AM, William Overington said:

I support the idea for having Affinity Animate.

I opine that it would be good for Affinity Animate to be based on vector graphics animation and if possible only on changes from one frame to the next so as to keep file size as small as possible.

Animation files that are huge present problems for peop;e who have personal webspaces.

Serif has previously produced, in Serif PagePlus, the capability to produce vector-based slide shows as PDF slide shows.

Could Affinity Animate produce animations that could be run in Adobe Reader as slide shows, with the possibilirty of full screen display, that move quickly and automatically from frame to frame?

@Stargazer49 Please don't be held back or discouraged references by comments made over seven years ago. Time moves on. Innovation is important.  I remember when I, and at least one other person, suggested including OpenType support in the then anticipated PagePlus X3. It did not happen, no feedback, no explanation or anything. However, OpenType support appeared in PagePlus X5, and done superbly well. Maybe Affinity Animate will never be produced, but very often in the world at large, new ideas get dismissed, sometimes ridiculed, for a while, then happen and become mainstream. It is very easy for peope to leap on a bandwagon of dismissing new ideas, but so what, that is a matter for them.

William

For clarification, Affinity Animate will focus [solely] on 2D animation.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:18 AM, Stargazer49 said:

For clarification, Affinity Animate will focus [solely] on 2D animation.

For further clarification; Affinity Animate will most likely never happen.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an alternative to the animation problem, instead of creating a new program, Serif could add an animation persona to Affinity Designer. However, Affinity Flix is still a better idea, as it would have more functionality/features compared to a persona. At the same time, people with an art program other than Affinity Designer, might not want to buy another art program only to use it's animation tools/software.

Note: I'm sticking with Affinity Flix now.