You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Imported edited RAW files from Apple Photo app are highly pixelated.

When importing edited RAW images from Apples Photo app into Affinity photo iPad version leads to a highly pixelated image of 160 x 120. The Edited photo App file should be 5568 x 3712.    The original unedited RAW file imports fine.  I’m using the latest iOS and this issue occurs on both the new M1 iPad Pro and the iPad Air 3. There is plenty of storage available. Everything worked fine prior to updating Affinity app.

Untitled.jpg

2 hours ago, rbruno said:

When importing edited RAW images from Apples Photo app into Affinity photo iPad version leads to a highly pixelated image of 160 x 120. The Edited photo App file should be 5568 x 3712.    The original unedited RAW file imports fine.  I’m using the latest iOS and this issue occurs on both the new M1 iPad Pro and the iPad Air 3. There is plenty of storage available. Everything worked fine prior to updating Affinity app.

Untitled.jpg

Welcome to the forums !

Sounds like you are loading an optimised JPG version of an image, some additional details would help.

1. How are you loading into Affinity app, via import from  photos, via drag and drop from photos or from the share interface via a shortcut from photos?

2. What camera model are your raw images from and can you upload an example here in raw format for others to investigate with ?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Hi Paul,

I imported it into the Affinity photo app directly from the Apple photo app. I am using a Nikon D500. I’ve been importing the edited RAW files this way for over two years but now this issue has occurred. Below is the raw file I imported.

B8271276-C7DD-47F0-9AE8-95FD928771F4.jpeg

@rbrunoUnfortunately that is not a Nikon .NEF raw file you uploaded it is a JPG. You should be able to use the share option in the photos app and then select save to files which should export one of your unedited .NEF raw files you could upload.

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

Hi Paul,

I imported it into the Affinity photo app directly from the Apple photo app. I am using a Nikon D500. I’ve been importing the edited RAW files this way for over two years but now this issue has occurred. Below is the raw file I imported. 

When I airdropped it to the iPad it converted it to JPEG. Sorry about that. But the NIkon RAW files import fine. The above file I posted does not. I attached a Nikon RAW file below. But when I attach file it only shows 1.3 mg file. The original file is 21 mb. But just to reiterate, I’m not having problems with RAW, it’s the JPEGs that are giving me an issue. 

AEC71409-FDFD-449A-9C2E-3753D2BAF3EF.jpeg

Paul,

I imported from the files app this time. Here is a RAW file .  First time posting to this forum so it’s a little trial and error for me right now. So below should be the Nikon file. It’s 23.2 mb and it is a NEF. These import fine.  After editing them they no longer import properly. This issue just began after lasted update. After editing and importing , it is reduced to a 120 x 160 file.  Highly pixelated. 

DSC_2930.NEF

3 hours ago, rbruno said:

Paul,

I imported from the files app this time. Here is a RAW file .  First time posting to this forum so it’s a little trial and error for me right now. So below should be the Nikon file. It’s 23.2 mb and it is a NEF. These import fine.  After editing them they no longer import properly. This issue just began after lasted update. After editing and importing , it is reduced to a 120 x 160 file.  Highly pixelated. 

DSC_2930.NEF 23.21 MB · 4 downloads

Hi, thank you for the NEF file, I can confirm when imported into photos then imported into Affinity it becomes severely pixelated. When imported from iCloud it works correctly into the Develop persona.. Also if you create a new blank document and place the image from photos it comes in as a high resolution image but obviously skips the develop persona which is not ideal.

Hopefully a QA person will be along shortly for  their opinion.

I’ve discovered if I copy the edited RAW file from the photo app directly into the file app, it will then import properly into affinity photo for iPad. If I try to import directly from the Photo app than it gets imported as a 120 x 160 file. (Highly pixelated) .Very strange.

Edited by rbruno

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem. I am importing from a NIKON Z6 into Apple Photo App. When I am importing from there to the Affinity photo app, I get pixeled images, too. 

I tested the workaround to save them out of the Apple Photo App to the drive and afterwards import this into Affinity. That works.

Edited by sam.ehlert

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unless I am misinterpreting what the problem is, can I just say that I don’t import raw files into Photos in the first instance.

I select the required file from the connected SD card directly from within Affinity, by hitting the + sign > import from cloud > on my ipad > select the connected SDcard reader and view the files > click to import into develop persona.

Apologies if I have got the “wrong end of the stick”.

That’s the way to do it if you want to import directly from card. But I usually bring my photos directly into Apple photos first, do quick edits and them into Affinity photo to do more complex edits. I’ve never had a problem doing that until this first post. Now I have to save to the file app first and then import into Affinity photos.

• 1 month later...

Hallo all,

I‘m suffering here from the same problem.

Actually I’m completely trapped with my RAWs in Apple Photos on 15.6

1) Saving from Apple Photos gives me a JPEG. And only that. No matter what I try, I can only access the JPEG. Really tried numerous options also from iCloud and export settings.

2) The import from Apple Photos in AP results in the pixelated preview. No Development Persona.

Has anyone here an idea on how to get my hands on the RAWs with an iPad? And no, I don’t have them on the SD card anymore, so directly importing from the card is no option, at least for my past photos.

@Affinity Team: Please fix that bug with importing from Photos

Thanks in advance,

Harald

I import RAWs from Apple Photos on 15.6 and don’t have any issues. 

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

On 8/5/2022 at 4:59 AM, Harald42 said:

Hallo all,

I‘m suffering here from the same problem.

Actually I’m completely trapped with my RAWs in Apple Photos on 15.6

1) Saving from Apple Photos gives me a JPEG. And only that. No matter what I try, I can only access the JPEG. Really tried numerous options also from iCloud and export settings.

2) The import from Apple Photos in AP results in the pixelated preview. No Development Persona.

Has anyone here an idea on how to get my hands on the RAWs with an iPad? And no, I don’t have them on the SD card anymore, so directly importing from the card is no option, at least for my past photos.

@Affinity Team: Please fix that bug with importing from Photos

Thanks in advance,

Harald

Hi Harald,

If you copy the RAW file from the Apple Photo app to the Affinity Photo folder in the file app, it will remain a RAW file. From there you can load it into Affinity photo as a RAW file.  I have no issues importing a RAW file into the Photo app. It retains its RAW status.

Another option is to copy the original RAW file from the Apple Photo app to the hard drive using Imagecapture app. You connect your iPad to the Mac and launch the Image Capture app.  Then just select the images you want to copy over onto your HD.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:37 AM, sam.ehlert said:

I still have the same problem. It became even worse. Saving the images out of Apple Foto only works in jpg now, so I cannot edit raw at all. Any update on the fixes?

if you are using the iPad, then you can copy the RAW files onto your computer by using the ImageCapture app. Just connect the iPad to the Mac, launch the ImageCapture app and select what images you wasn’t to copy.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:25 AM, rbruno said:

That’s the way to do it if you want to import directly from card. But I usually bring my photos directly into Apple photos first, do quick edits and them into Affinity photo to do more complex edits. I’ve never had a problem doing that until this first post. Now I have to save to the file app first and then import into Affinity photos.

i import my RAW files directly into the photo App and edit them on my iPad. if i want to do further edits I’ll bring them into Affinity photo. in the past that was never an issue but somewhere down the line those imports have become highly pixelated. I submitted the issue to Serif but they have not corrected the issue.  

On 8/8/2022 at 2:25 AM, rbruno said:

i import my RAW files directly into the photo App and edit them on my iPad. if i want to do further edits I’ll bring them into Affinity photo. in the past that was never an issue but somewhere down the line those imports have become highly pixelated. I submitted the issue to Serif but they have not corrected the issue.  

Thought I would test the NEF file again since I am on iPadOS16 beta, but when imported from photos it is still pixelated but when imported from iCloud it imports correctly.

However, unexpectedly I thought I would try using the SHARE interface from Photos to my IOS Shortcut, surprisingly this imports the RAW image correctly. I say surprisingly because in early versions of iPadOS, the share interface always seemed to share the optimised JPG rather than the raw so I suspect it is a change in iPadOS.

If you do not have an IOS Shortcut search these forums should show you how easy they are to create.

1. Import from photos = PIXELATED

2. Import from iCloud = HIGH RES

3. Share interface from photos = HIGH RES

On 8/8/2022 at 2:25 AM, rbruno said:

There are two overlapping issues being discussed here….

The route the files take into Affinity and the quality of the developed images.

If I try to bring A1 files into my iPad through Photos, the files are downgraded.

If I transfer the files onto my iPad independently of Photos, the files can be imported into Affinity’s development persona.

For example:
The most direct/simplest route to check this, is to use an SD card reader on the iPad  … by opening Affinity and selecting  + then Import from cloud but going to On my ipad to select the file on the the card reader.  This successfully opens the raw file into the development persona without involving other software interference in the transfer.  
The quality you get from this direct route should be the best possible…....…which leads me to the quality side of the discussion…

In the early days after the launch of the A1 there was no support for its raw files in Affinity. As I understand it that support was later released but only for Affinity desktop …..not for the iPad.

As a result I couldn’t open raw files on the iPad…Affinity attempted it but then went black screen on me.

At some point that changed. I saw no announcement that the iPad version now had the dedicated A1 raw converter, but I suddenly could open the files.

However the quality of these files compared to opening the same files in Photoshop, and even Sony’s clunky software, is inferior.

Which leads me to ask…..has Affinity for iPad really got a A1 raw converter or just a basic all comers raw conversion going on?

8 minutes ago, Washbay said:

There are two overlapping issues being discussed here….

The route the files take into Affinity and the quality of the developed images.

If I try to bring A1 files into my iPad through Photos, the files are downgraded.

If I transfer the files onto my iPad independently of Photos, the files can be imported into Affinity’s development persona.

For example:
The most direct/simplest route to check this, is to use an SD card reader on the iPad  … by opening Affinity and selecting  + then Import from cloud but going to On my ipad to select the file on the the card reader.  This successfully opens the raw file into the development persona without involving other software interference in the transfer.  
The quality you get from this direct route should be the best possible…....…which leads me to the quality side of the discussion…

In the early days after the launch of the A1 there was no support for its raw files in Affinity. As I understand it that support was later released but only for Affinity desktop …..not for the iPad.

As a result I couldn’t open raw files on the iPad…Affinity attempted it but then went black screen on me.

At some point that changed. I saw no announcement that the iPad version now had the dedicated A1 raw converter, but I suddenly could open the files.

However the quality of these files compared to opening the same files in Photoshop, and even Sony’s clunky software, is inferior.

Which leads me to ask…..has Affinity for iPad really got a A1 raw converter or just a basic all comers raw conversion going on?

The iPad version uses the Apple Raw engine by default which changes with each ipadOS, google Apple Raw for the version of iPadOS you are using. It can also use the Serif Raw engine, selectable in preferences, google this site to see what cameras Serif’s engine supports.  

3 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

The iPad version uses the Apple Raw engine by default which changes with each ipadOS, google Apple Raw for the version of iPadOS you are using. It can also use the Serif Raw engine, selectable in preferences, google this site to see what cameras Serif’s engine supports.  

I do have the preferences set to Serif raw engine. Unless I am not googling the latest list I don’t see the Sony A1 listed on the Serif engine support for iPad.

edit : I see the A1 is mentioned in https://www.libraw.org/news/libraw-202110-snapshot.

Does this mean that libraw 202110 is used in Affinity for ipad now….or just the desktop versions of the programme?