You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I've got a question i can't seem to find an answer for;

In Affinity Designer. 

How do i see the bleed 'area'?

Or how do i include the image in the bleed area?

To create crop/cut marks like in the attached example.

Hope someone can help,

Kind regards,

Wieger

post-23290-0-60117900-1449834282_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wieger,

You CAN see your bleeds when you work IF you're in "regular" page layout mode. Just unclick Clip to Canvas under View > View Mode.

If you are using Artboards than no you can't see them as you work.

But both can export as PDF with the bleeds, seen or not. On export click on More and find Bleeds and Printer Marks.

Wilfred. Try Preview, Adobe Reader, or opening your file in Safari.

(Ha, simultaneous post :) )

The files I were working with seemed to be to heavy to load in Preview or Safari. Both crashed. Adobe Reader could open it, but if that what I saw was the bleed, it seemed to me that it wasn't filled with the image  used and then it is no idea, is it?

I also tried to uncheck Clip to Canvas, but what I see then is the outline of the project, in this case a poster, but there is no bleed to be seen as you can see from the screenshot here:

post-18585-0-87688800-1453407407_thumb.png

I also opened one of the pdf-files in Photoshop Elements (the poor thing had to work hard!) and it seemed to me like there was a bleed indeed, but outside the image, and that's not how it is supposed to be, is it? Or am I mistaken?

PS: No, it seems like it was me who had added margins, too, in addition to the bleed. I discovered the mistake and did it all over again, opened it in Photoshop and there was 2x3 mm added to width and height. OK, so then I know it works, but it would be nice to see the bleed, too:)

Hi Wilfred,

Bleeds are indeed outside the image. Your image looks correct for bleeds to work.

If I'm seeing it correctly everything I've ghosted with green is outside the work area yes? And thus available for your bleeds. And you are seeing them.

The amount that actually shows up in your export depends on the measurement you gave it in document setup (thanks oval... that is, of course, step one  ;)  ). If you want you can crop the image as it falls outside the document area to match the setup dimension... so screen and output look the same.

post-12544-0-75013600-1453413659_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can not get bleed and crop marks to work properly in Affinity Designer 1.4.1.

I see that the design are outside the canvas when I choose View->View mode->uncheck Clip to Canvas.

But after I export to PDF, with bleed and crop marks option on, the PDF gets exported without any design

in the bleed area. Affinity Designer deletes everything that is in the bleed area, expect for the crop marks.

What am I doing wrong?

• Staff

Hi virilagalaus,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to set the document bleed in the Document Setup dialog first.

With you document open go to File ▸ Document Setup..., then to the Bleed tab to set up the bleed value for each side.

Note that currently there's no bleed preview on canvas (will be added in a future update) so you can only see i's marks after exporting the file as PDF.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

• 5 months later...

Hi Wilfred Hildonen,

This option is only available when you export PDF's (click the More button on the Export dialog then look for Include Bleed option). You can then see it (as well as all other printers marks) opening the PDF in any software able to read PDF's.

This a little late, but I just exported a pdf where I had selected to add 5 mm bleed, but then I got a message from the printer's, asking me to add bleed. But I did that, I replied, but thought I'd better go back here to check for solutions. And yes, I had forgotten to choose the well hidden option when exporting, assuming that when I have chosen bleed it would remain with the document all the way, no matter what. 

Let us see if I will remember to look for that hidden option next time. 

But wouldn't it be an idea to add that option in the document setup? Add bleed also when exporting, or something like that? Why do we add bleed to a document? Isn't that because of printing? Wouldn't it then be logical to let the bleed stay as an option when we export for print? 

Perhaps there are other reasons why this doesn't make sende, but as it is, I don't think it make much sense.