You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know this is probably easy...

1. Layer > Expand Stroke on the Pill shape
  2. Draw the small rectangle
  3. select both objects and use Layer > Geometry > Subtract (or the subtract icon on the top menu)

There are other ways to achieve this shape such as using a curve and the layer blend mode: Erase, but it all depends on what format you are exporting to, so, if you require it to be a vector using blend modes is not an option because it will rasterise on export, if you want vector export use the method I've outlined above.

Example of subtraction.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

‘Expand Stroke’ will leave you with a filled shape that mimics the stroke. If you only want a stroke, you need to use the Node Tool to select or create nodes at the ends of the line segment where the gaps should go, and then break the curve at those nodes so that you can discard the unwanted line segment.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 hours ago, RNKLN said:

Looks like it's Control+Double Click on Mac. Can't get it to work with Cmd+Click.

Thanks. Ctrl on Windows is usually Cmd on Mac but there are a few exceptions, and that’s obviously one of them!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, RNKLN said:

Looks like it's Control+Double Click on Mac. Can't get it to work with Cmd+Click.

At least on my Mac, it is just CTRL-single-click. No need to double-click.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

CTRL-single-click

I tried on my other Mac and yes, there it uses the single click. Maybe one of the User Preferences (in Affinity or Mac System Preferences)?

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

2 hours ago, RNKLN said:

I tried on my other Mac and yes, there it uses the single click. Maybe one of the User Preferences (in Affinity or Mac System Preferences)?

I don't have a MBP with a trackpad to test with, but I suspect somewhere in System Preferences > Trackpad > Point & Click you have different settings, maybe for Tap to Click or some such.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't have a MBP with a trackpad to test with, but I suspect somewhere in System Preferences > Trackpad > Point & Click you have different settings, maybe for Tap to Click or some such.

Both my Macs have the same settings for trackpad usage (I consistently use tap to click; never a hard click), but guess what? On the first Mac I can now also use single click with the Control key. Totally beats me. So, assuming it keeps working like this, I withdraw my original conclusion that a Control+Double Click was needed. Will share it if the alternative behaviour returns (which I don't expect and hope 😃). Sorry for the confusion caused.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions