You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to turn off text highlight when I recolor

Mac Affinity Photo

How do I turn off the text highlighting if I want to recolor part of a text block so that I can tell what the new color is actually going to be unaffected by the highlighting? (Photoshop turns it off automatically when you're recoloring)

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 17.08.05.png

Styles seems like an inordinate amount of work if f I'm testing out multiple different color possibilities and going back and forth between possibilities. If there's no better way, I'm thinking I could create a temporary dummy layer masking out all but the single letter, because you can change the color of an entire block of text without highlighting. It's still a lot of work for something that should happen automatically.

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 10.23.09.png

• 1 month later...

New to Affinity Designer and surprised to have a problem finding a way to hide the highlighting of selected text, which is making it difficult to evaluate font choices for a new design layout. Yes Adobe caters to this and has for decades with the simple Command/H keyboard shortcut to hide the highlight and make the active font entirely visible while editing. Am I missing something or is this feature not available? 

Thinking out of the box might help.

• Instead of using the actual functionality, you could use alternative ways to recolor the text, e.g. a rectangular shape, and blend range set to affect black. This will allow to choose any color without distracting highlighting. Once you found the perfect color, disable the helper rectangle and assign the color to the letter.
  • it should be possible to assign a global color, and change the value of that global color any time, again no highlighting.

This given just as ideas. 

PS: on IPad, the highlighting is temporary deactivated as long as i drag the color sliders. Only after lifting the finger, the highlighting re-appears.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I would use a Character or Paragraph style to colour the text, no need to have the text selected then.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, electroplated said:

there is no way to display hidden characters, spaces, para returns etc.

That’s a Publisher-only function – menu “Text → Show Special Characters”.
You can try looking for an existing request for this to be added to Designer and ‘adding your voice’ to it if you want to.