You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add PDF/X-3:2003 support for RGB color space with flattened files

nawkboy

I know this is and older post, yet, now we are in V2 Dec 2022 and on Windows 10 Desk version still no PDF/X 3 RGB option. Tried the google universe. All I wanted to know was which pdf version would support flattening in RGB mode. i.e. 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 vs pdf/x 1, pdf/x 3. My main goal is KDP paperbacks covers. From my experience KDP does a better job of rgb to cmyk conversion (they make adjustments to color themselves). The problem with cmyk is not knowing exactly 'which' cmyk profile a printer uses (KDP has no such info). My previous designers all sent 1.7 rgb pdf's for me to use. But, now that I've bought Affinity, I can easily create the book covers myself, excuse me, that is until I have to convert. Unfortunately all the breakdown of pdf versions/mode I searched, never mention anything about flattening pdf transparencies in 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 (which appears to be what designers use but I wanted to make sure). Even Affinity's help doesn't address the flattening of transparencies in the listed pdf modes (except pdf/x), yet, they state pdf/x-3:2003 has RGB option. 

I wish there was somewhere in the Universe that just had a chart listing pdf/versions/modes like
V# - Supports Transparencies Y or N - Supports Flattening of Transparencies Y or N - Supports RGB Y or N
I've spent hours on this and I tried 1.7, yet don't know how to confirm if it was flattened or not???

I have 15 or more POD books up on Ingram Spark and Amazon. I used Photo for the covers and Publisher to create them. I used CMYK for the covers. I flattened the covers using Photo, saved as PDF, and up they went using PDF/X-1a:2003 with nary a hitch. I also used PDF/X-1a:2003 for the text body PDFs that were uploaded as well. My books are all B&W text, with the occasional B&W image inside at the beginning preceding the book text.

You need 300dpi and CMYK for the IS and Amazon POD covers. RGB doesn't cut it.

• 4 weeks later...