You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add PDF/X-3:2003 support for RGB color space with flattened files

nawkboy

LuLu.com, Amazon KDP, and other on-demand book publishing platforms sometimes prefer RGB rather than CMYK color space PDFs. Apparently the thinking is it is best to allow the outsourced printing house to apply whichever CMYK conversion is most appropriate to the particular press that happens to run the job in question.

The LuLu guidelines put a lot of emphasis on ensuring the press-ready PDF is "flattened" with no transparencies. I experimented with a large number of Affinity Publisher PDF export options, examining the output of each with the transparency pre-flight checks in Adobe Acrobat DC. I also examined many of these PDFs using the pre-flight checks LuLu.com performs on them when uploaded. Prior to export from Affinity Publisher I would also run Affinity Publisher's default pre-flight checks.

I was unable to create a single PDF in the RGB color space which didn't generate transparency warnings within both Adobe Acrobat and Lulu.com. Ultimately, I ended up using a PDF/X-1a:2003 based export (plus bleed) to produce a PDF in the CMYK color space. This fixed the transparency warnings, but strictly speaking it isn't what LuLu.com prefers.

Based on some of the Affinity forums, it seems Affinity Publisher could best solve this by supporting an RGB color space option when using a PDF/X-3:2003 compatible export. Apparently the PDF/X-3:2003 standard provides the necessary support for RGB, but Affinity Publisher does not currently support an RGB color space option for PDF/X-3:2003.

It would also be very nice if the Affinity Publisher pre-flight checks could help identify any potential problem areas related to transparency flattening.

I am quite out of my depth in completely understanding all the problems I encountered. What is very clear to me is producing press-ready PDFs for POD book printing companies who prefer RGB based PDFs should be trivial to do and not consume a day or two of work to try and figure out. I also think it would be great if there were well tested tutorials or FAQs regarding the proper Affinity Publisher export settings for LuLu, Amazon KDP, and IngramSpark.

Relevant Links:

https://assets.lulu.com/media/guides/en/lulu-book-creation-guide.pdf

https://blog.lulu.com/dont-cry-over-spilled-ink/

Here is a subset of my course pack document. I have been careful to include each variation of content found in the full version.

As you will see this document is a hodgepodge of the following:

* Slide handout PDF created in PowerPoint.

* Properly hand typeset text and images.

* Various PDFs copied into the document.

The typefaces are all over the place. The vast majority are available from Adobe Creative Cloud. I maintain a license of InCopy (cheapest possible choice) just to maintain access to the Adobe typefaces.

I seemed to get transparency warnings all over the place.

ExampleHandouts.afpub

The RGB color space is not an available option to me with PDD/X-3:2003.

I should mention I am running on a new MacBook Pro M1. Perhaps support varies by platform. The M1 has the new apple CPU not an Intel based CPU, so that may also be a factor.

Please advise.

1 minute ago, nawkboy said:

As to missing linked files

Oup! My bad, you're right. Since usually I use 300 PPI minimum, I just assumed without checking — it was simply a test —that the problem was from broken linked files, not that some documents are low resolution.

Test the paramaters in my screen shot from the post above. There's RGB for PDF/X-3:2003

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

2022-02-25_112441.png.fd02c72ddd9b05a08bd1cbf69e1163fb.png

The same OSX build could in theory perform differently based on hardware. The application could easily look for this or that required library or OS feature and change behavior based on the result. The CPU change is pretty major and could easily result in various subtle differences.

I would never be comfortable without both Intel and M1 macs running in a continuous integration test infrastructure if developing a desktop OSX application.

I should also mention I only have Affinity Publisher without any of the other Affinity applications. It is always possible the installers for one of the other Affinity applications installs a critical library the Affinity Publisher installer failed to install. This is the sort of thing that can easily get overlooked in testing.