You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are 'affphoto' extensions editable with plugins of Topaz, Luminar or NIK ?

Is it so that ‘affphoto’ extensions cannot be edited with the plugins Luminar Neo, Luminar AI, Topaz Sharpen AI nor the NIK collection ?

I found out that only jepg, tiff, dng … extensions are editable with the plugins in Affinity Photo.
Correct, or is something wrong with my Affinity Photo program setup ?

A nice picture doesn't have to be a 'technical good' one, but 'different' from all other ones.

Mother earth is a source of life, not a resource.

www.pixeldude.be

You would, of course, have to Open the .afphoto file in Affinity Photo, but after that the plugins should be usable as long as you select a pixel layer for them to operate on, and the document has the right color format (probably RGB) and color depth (probably 8- or 16-bit, probably not 32-bit).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I’m aware that, besides NIK HDR Efex Pro, the plugins of Affinity pro are not working in 32 bit, so that’s not the problem I do encounter.
The plugins are working in all other extendions I use (jepg, tiff, dng) but not at all with the affphoto extension, not in 8, 16 or 32 bit.

A nice picture doesn't have to be a 'technical good' one, but 'different' from all other ones.

www.pixeldude.be

5 minutes ago, PixelDude Raoul said:

The plugins are working in all other extendions I use (jepg, tiff, dng) but not at all with the affphoto extension, not in 8, 16 or 32 bit.

And you've made sure you have the right pixel layer selected?

Can you provide a screenshot showing the complete application window and the Layers panel showing, with the active layer visible on it?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I'am using several layers in the AP. Which one to use? I want the impact of the plugin program on the whole picture. 
I think that I will be obliged to export it as e.g. as a tiff to get the plugin effect on the whole picture ?

Edited by PixelDude Raoul
new result

www.pixeldude.be

5 minutes ago, PixelDude Raoul said:

The plugins seams only to be applicable on the background layer, not on the other ones.

They should work on any single Pixel layer, as far as I know.

17 minutes ago, PixelDude Raoul said:

I'am using several layers in the AP. Which one to use? I want the impact of the plugin program on the whole picture. 
I think that I will be obliged to export it as e.g. as a tiff to get the plugin effect on the whole picture ?

Yes, in that case you'll need to do something to flatten the image. But rather than Exporting to Tiff, you might consider Layer > Merge Visible to create a new Pixel layer at the top of the stack, then select that layer to apply the Plugin to.

But with either approach, you'll need a flattened image as plug-ins work only on single layers.

-- Walt
PC:

Sorry Walt, but that doesn't work. Grouping the layers and then use the plugins on the group results in 'gray' editing modes. And when using a pixel layer on top of it ... that results in a complete black image. Also when you indicate both the group and the suplementary layer on top of it, black.
So, I stronly believe that you have to export first with an extension such as tiff and that the plugins do not function with an affphoto extension on multiple layers.

www.pixeldude.be

1 minute ago, PixelDude Raoul said:

Sorry Walt, but that doesn't work. Grouping the layers and then use the plugins on the group results in 'gray' editing modes. And when using a pixel layer on top of it ... that results in a complete black image. Also when you indicate both the group and the suplementary layer on top of it, black.
So, I stronly believe that you have to export first with an extension such as tiff and that the plugins do not function with an affphoto extension on multiple layers.

Are you using the command from the context menu to make a new layer with the merged contents?

990693011_ScreenShot2022-02-24at8_58_48AM.png.ea6b8421475be9c237d37f07773e70d1.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

23 minutes ago, PixelDude Raoul said:

Grouping the layers and then use the plugins on the group results in 'gray' editing modes

I did not suggest grouping :)

-- Walt
PC: