You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Crashes when I Access Edit/Preferences/PhotoShop Plugins

Hi,

I previously installed two photoshop plugins which have worked fine with no issues. I'm running Win10 and I believe the most recent AP version

I was trying to access the  Edit / Preferences / Photoshop Plugins menu to add another plugin, but when I click on the icon, AP instantly crashes.

What should I do next?  I haven't found a satisfactory answer in the forum

• Staff

Hi @Richard Shagam,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, as this isn't an issue I've heard of before!

I believe it may be best to reset the app to default settings to stop the crashing behaviour - you can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity Backing up app resources and factory reset video here -

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi

Holding ctrl key while restarting didn't work.  It did reset everything, including all of my macros, and plugins, which, of course, I can't re-install because the PhotoShop plugin icon still crashes the system.

Some background.  I had been using the JR Astronomy macros, and had installed the Hasta la Vista Green and StareXterminator plugins with great sucess.  Previously I had also been using the Starnet++ routine  (not an AP or PhotoShop plugin, but a separate processing program) for star removal).  The problem started after I installed the new Starnet V2 (again, not a plugin, but a separate program).  My thought is that perhaps there is some wierd interaction between the new Starnet and AP.

If I don't get any workable solution from you, my next move will be to remove and re-install AP.  I'm currently out of business with my astroprocessing, as I can't re-install the JR Astro macros, now.

Thanks

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear this!

This is the first report we've had of this kind, I've checked for other posts on the Affinity Forums and I've not been able to locate other issues regarding Starnet (either version), however it's certainly possible this is interfering with the Affinity app - as we've seen this with other external applications previously.

If you navigate to the Plugin folder location for Affinity (%ProgramData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Plugins) can you provide a screenshot of what shows here please? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

I went ahead and uninstalled AP through the Win10 setup menu, and downloaded and reinstalled a fresh copy of AP 1.10, but the problem remains.   All of the other (My JR astro) macros remained in place, after re-opening the  Library through the View/Studio setting, so this probably means I didn't do a complete uninstall.  

By the way, I have no idea if Starnet has anything to do with this problem, as I hadn't wanted to install a new plugin until just yesterday.  I would like to get StarXTerminator working again, as it still had some properties I preferred over the new Starnet (plus, I paid for SXT!!!)

As you requested, here is a screenshot of the ProgramData.. directory, as well as screenshots of the individual directory contents:

image.thumb.png.80c685f3e9149db6128e86ef7e747856.png

image.thumb.png.489fab42246734cc6747b18574891847.pngimage.thumb.png.d21058a5f0d27ddf70242a0287a4f5d9.png

• Staff
22 hours ago, Richard Shagam said:

As you requested, here is a screenshot of the ProgramData.. directory, as well as screenshots of the individual directory contents:

Many thanks for providing these for me! Can you please create a new folder on your Desktop and title this 'Plugins', then move the contents of the Affinity Plugins folder to this new folder on your desktop - leaving the Affinity folder empty.

Restart the Affinity app and try opening the Plugins section of preferences once again. Does this stop the app from crashing please? :)

• 1 month later...

Tried it--no change.  The AP program still crashed when I tried to open plugins under Edit/Preferences.  I did notice that the file 'status.json' did reappear in the Plugins directory after having removed it.

(Sorry for the delayed response--had temporaily given up on trying to get a fix )

• Staff

No problem at all @Richard Shagam, I certainly understand.

I'd like to request a copy of your crash report files, so that they can be debugged and investigated further.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the 3 most recently created .DMP files, then attach these to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

It's been awhile, but I'd like to take up the issue again of my plugin installation having disappeared--AP crashes when I go to the plugin page under Edit/Preferences.  As requested back in april, here are my latest crash reports.  

If this isn't helpful, I think I might have to do a 'complete' uninstall/reinstall of AP.  I had tried a simple uninstall/reinstall, but it was apparent that there were some directories left behind.  Note:  I wouldn't want to do anything that will delete my AP image files.  So how would I do a complete uninstall?

Thanks

471e4bd1-37ca-4375-82f8-3ccc2111d1d4.dmp fe093b43-7b5c-47b2-8641-e327f7587d5a.dmp 4e748fbe-992e-41a9-911f-8f87cdd21c74.dmp

• Staff

Hi @Richard Shagam,

Thanks for the crash reports provided and I'm sorry to hear this issue is still affecting your system!

I have passed your crash reports through to our team internally, as the crash thread doesn't match any crash reports I've seen previously, so I have requested more information here.

I can see you've previously mentioned this issue appeared to begin after installing Starnet V2 - would you be willing to try uninstalling this app to see if this returns AP to working behaviour? :)

24 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I can see you've previously mentioned this issue appeared to begin after installing Starnet V2 - would you be willing to try uninstalling this app to see if this returns AP to working behaviour?

StarNet2 sits entirely in its own directory--it was not 'installed' and there is no way to 'uninstall' in Windows Settings>Apps & features.  I'm not sure that deleting the directory will do anything for me.

Nor, as I mentioned, did a normal uninstall/reinstall of AP help, because there must be some hidden file that remains behind damaged.  When I reinstalled AP, I didn't have to ere-enter my license, so I know that there are files, or perhaps settings in the registry that remain behind.  Short of wiping my entire computer system clean, there must  be some way to totally remove AP so I can reinstall AP 'clean'?

Thanks

• Staff

Many thanks for verifying that for me!

40 minutes ago, Richard Shagam said:

When I reinstalled AP, I didn't have to ere-enter my license, so I know that there are files, or perhaps settings in the registry that remain behind.  Short of wiping my entire computer system clean, there must  be some way to totally remove AP so I can reinstall AP 'clean'?

We can certainly try this, though I am not certain it will change the current behaviour. After uninstalling the Affinity app, I'd recommend deleting any remaining folders in the following locations: 

%ProgramFiles%\Affinity\

%ProgramData%\Affinity\

%AppData%\Affinity\

Once complete, restart your system and then try installing Affinity & your plugins once again. Please note you will lose any custom settings, assets, styles etc that you have saved, so please be sure to back these up using the above video, should you wish to retain these. Any saved files saved on your system outside of these folders should not be affected when uninstalling :)

Dan C.

I uninstalled AP and removed the directories, reinstalled, but going to the PhotoShop plugin install still crashes the system--before doing anything else with AP.

By the way, I also installed AP on the miniPC that runs my astrophotography telescope acquisition software--I don't have this problem on that machine, but of course it is way too underpowered to run AP for astro post processing. 

Getting kind of frustrated, as there are a number of PhotoShop plugins that are supposed to work in AP that would be great for astro pic processing.

Thanks

Richard

• Staff

Thanks for trying that Richard and I'm certainly sorry to hear this!

I'd like to request a copy of your event viewer log files, as this should hopefully contain more information as to the possible cause of this crash.

Please try launching & crashing the app once more, then do the following -  

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here. 

Can you also please confirm that none of the following apps are installed on your PC? 

Many thanks in advance!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me Richard - it appears as though .NET (a Windows framework) is crashing when Affinity attempts to access your plugins folder.

Therefore I'd like to try repairing the version of .NET on your machine. Firstly please download and run the Microsoft repair tool, from the below link -

https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Once run and completed, restart your PC and try accessing Plugins within Affinity once again.

If this continues to crash, I'd also link to try running a System File Checker scan to repair any Windows file issues. Please see the below link for how to achieve this -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

• Staff

We recommend installing .NET 4.8 for Affinity, which can be found here - 

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet-framework/net48

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

• Staff

Thank you for trying that for me!

Your event viewer logs point to a potential permissions issue also - if you close the Affinity app and then right-click on the icon and select Run as Administrator, does this change the crashing behaviour?

Do you by chance have any Windows System restore points to before StarNet2 was first run? I understand this app cannot be 'uninstalled' in the usual sense, but it may have affected the .NET or C runtime that Affinity uses.

It works!!   I was able to install the StarXterminator plugin  by running AP as administrator.  Is that all it took, after all this? 

It appears that I don't have to run AP as administrator to run the plugin.  

So it appears I only need to run AP as administrator when I want to add plugins. Or should I run AP as administrator all the time?

And no, I don't think I have any old Windows System restore points prior to StarNet2.  I'd be unwilling to go back to that point anyway, as I've added other software updates since then.

Thanks!!!

Richard

• Staff

That's certainly wonderful to hear, many thanks for letting me know!

On 8/6/2022 at 5:28 AM, Richard Shagam said:

So it appears I only need to run AP as administrator when I want to add plugins. Or should I run AP as administrator all the time?

Personally, I always run applications as 'Administrator' to avoid potential security conflicts, however if the app is not crashing when not running as an Administrator, it might not be required for you :)