You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Upgrade? Using Affinity to do HDR from Lightroom?

I have a copy of Affinity Photo.  It says it's 1.10.4.1198.  Unfortunately, I can't find any information on much of anything on the Affinity site, including exactly WHAT the current version of V1 is.  And when I asked about updating, it sent me to the Microsoft Store to update for Windows...

BUT, what I would like to do is export a set of images to Affinity from Lightroom, and have Affinity USE those images to do a "New HDR Merge".  I can get the files there, but can't see HOW to tell Affinity to USE them to do an HDR.  How do I do this?

I have it set up as an external editor, but that's extremely limited - if I send three images, it creates .tif files.  Instead I'm exporting directly, but either way, I need to know HOW to make Affinity USE the files.

I figure this is something simple and stupid that I just don't know.  Is there a command line parameter when calling photo.exe to tell it to do an HDR with the images it gets?  Or there's got to be some other way...

44 minutes ago, GracieAllen said:

Unfortunately, I can't find any information on much of anything on the Affinity site, including exactly WHAT the current version of V1 is. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/71071-latest-affinity-releases-on-each-platform-by-store/&tab=comments#comment-286646

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi GracieAllen,

I don't think there is anyway to do what you are looking for as you need to create a new HDR merge via File > New HDR merge. When you open an image by round tripping from LightRoom the app opens the image by default into a new document and not a HDR merge. Unfortunately I think you will need to manually export the images from LightRoom you want to use and then import them manually using File > New HDR merge.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Bummer... 

I found some discussions in here from about 6 digital generations ago - back in 2017-2018, talking about command line parameters and being able to use Affinity from Lightroom.  I thought for SURE that after 4 years this would be available in some form.

Fortunately, I've got other 3rd party tools the integrate cleanly with Lightroom.  They may not generate an HDR that's quite as good as Affinity, but they're a WHOLE lot faster than having to go outside Lightroom and find images manually for dozens of stacks.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not an expert Gracie but I don't think you need to do that (or abandon Affinity for this).  Can't you just select a group of images for an HDR in Lightroom, then export these as tiff files to a temporary folder?  After that go into Affinity choose New HDR merge and just select all the exported tiff files from the single folder.  That way your image selection is done in Lightroom and the stacking is easily done in Photo.